1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My birthday gift to myself.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jeff3004x4, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Mar 22, 2010 at 5:32 PM
    Jeff3004x4

Jeff3004x4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    East Killingly CT
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica
    Stock for now
    I tried to buy a new truck last fall, my hours at work got cut, and it didn't work out. I have been saving my money ever since. This summer I want to get a "new to me" truck, a Prerunner. I don't need four wheel drive I have had a two wheel drive Dakota for the past 5 years, and can only count three times where four wheel drive was actually needed. I am located in eastern CT Prerunners pretty much do not exist up here. I plan on making my purchase down south and driving it back. One thing I have noticed that I find strange is some SR5 Prerunners come with bench seats and some with buckets. I guess it really doesn't matter but I have a pretty good love hate relationship with the center console in my Dakota. I like a bench seat but the Tacoma doesn't offer a split bench, my 6ft tall buddies would hate riding with me. So what’s the deal is it hit or miss? I thought SR5 meant painted bumpers and flares, interval wipers and buckets. The price is right on Prerunners my limit is $15,500, I want a “NEW” truck that will last me 5+ years, I can buy a Prerunner for $15,000 ish with under 20000 miles. A truck is just a truck to me, I don’t need it lifted with big tires but I find the Tacoma so fun. I use a truck for fishing and camping, and light towing, it would be perfect. Anyone have any details on the Seat packages, is it a year thing? I’m looking at 2008 and 2009.

2. Mar 22, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    bmd

bmd Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    d
    RI
    Vehicle:
    08' access cab trd offroad 6spd
    ARB bull bar, Weathertech floorliners and rain guards, Jeraco cap
    I don't know anything about the seats but living in New England, 4 wheel drive is a nice option to have. My 08' xcab slips at red lights sometimes on wet pavement. Snow? Forget about it. It handles like shit with no weight in the bed. 4x4 is a must have for me.

3. Mar 22, 2010 at 5:45 PM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
  4. Mar 22, 2010 at 6:27 PM
    Jeff3004x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    East Killingly CT
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica
    Stock for now
    Sorry yes regular cabs. Thats actually the truck that I was refering to, sweet deal! If it was July, and I had all of my money saved I would be taking some time off and flying down and driving her back!

5. Mar 22, 2010 at 6:29 PM
    Jeff3004x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    East Killingly CT
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica
    Stock for now
    I hear ya all of my buddies have told me many time "You need 4x4". Whatever floats your boat I just by agressive tires and drive slow in the snow I have never had an issue. Im stuck on the prerunner.

6. Mar 22, 2010 at 6:35 PM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    You mean stuck IN the prerunner. :p

But seriously, keep in mind these trucks have a composite bed so there is very little weight on the rear end, and by very little i mean almost none. So just plan on keeping some serious weight back there around snow season and get some good tires.

7. Mar 22, 2010 at 6:35 PM
    bookmonke

bookmonke Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC PreRunner Rugged Trail
    I've dealt with that dealer, play hardball and offer them 2k under that, tell them you have talked to Ernie Palmer and get it for close to that, those two dealers are rivals.

8. Mar 22, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    Jeff3004x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    East Killingly CT
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica
    Stock for now
    Lol that’s great I will keep that dealer in mind come July. I always put weight in the bed the night before big snow storms anyway. I actually bought two additional wheels for my Dakota and put studded snow tires on it for the winter. I could actually do that for the prerunner as well, the performance increase with the studs is amazing. Refering back to my question on the seats, I want an 08? 2008 models came with bucket seats?

To Top