1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HomerTaco's big old bucket o’ bolts build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by HomerTaco, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Jan 1, 2011 at 1:37 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco [OP] also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    My love of the Toyota truck started with this:
    [​IMG]

Back to the Future
    was a great movie no doubt - but it also made me realize that this was the vehicle I wanted to drive. :cool:

So, after leaving college I got a loan from the old man & bought this:
    [​IMG]

87’ 4x4 extra cab w/ the carbureted 22R motor. As I recall it had 40K on it…

I don’t have a shot from when I bought it new but the above was after my first accident! (I rear-ended an Oldsmobile):eek:

Modding started back then too... I picked up a replacement bed & did a swap. The beds on the mid eightes toyota's rusted really bad.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This truck was just a great big TOY! I had a roll bar, cap & tonneu cover & I would switch it up for the seasons… I also went a little nuts with the pinstriping…. That grid pattern took several days. (give me a break – it was the 90’s)

Spring dance with my GF at West Chester University:
    [​IMG]

A snowboarding trip to my parents vacation house in the Poconos…
    [​IMG]

We had a hell of a time together! Then in the summer of 1999 I decided I was due for an upgrade so we parted ways and I bought my first brand new Tacoma:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My 1st get Tacoma was a 99’ TRD Off Road Extended Cab 4X4. 3.4 V6 w/ 5spd manual. Surfside Green Mica exterior & Gray Interior. 1st Gen TRD Supercharger, K&N Intake, Sony HU Carpet Bed liner Custom Diamond Plate mud flaps & Bed Rails + all the Lund Crap I could get for it.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At 178K she was recalled for the frame rust issue & Toyota bought her back for $11,970.00!!!
    [​IMG](1.5X the “excellent” Kelly Blue Book Value)[​IMG]

I was happy with the deal of course, but it was also very sad. I did EVERYTHING with that truck. I drove coast to coast in the spring of 2000 & camped out in YellowStone National Park. I cruised through the Bad Lands in North Dakota. Numerous trips towing my ATV's all over the Mid-Atlantic.

I took as much of the aftermarket items I could off before she went to be put down. This is the last picture I have from where she sat in Team Toyota's Shop waiting to be hauled away...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are a few parts from her in my new truck…

As luck would have it, the day I got the check from Toyota for the buyback I found this:

[​IMG]

07’ double Cab TRD Sport 4x4.
    4.0 V6 6spd Manual
    36K on the ODO and bone stock, save for the Wade vent shades the day I got it.

Here is a more recent pic of what she looks like today:

[​IMG]

And with the current 35's:
    [​IMG]

Here are some shots of the places I've been blessed to visit:

Montana
    aug14_a54f3009b3c77c4af6bdc85b8a16484b70df2efd.jpg
    aug7_5aa5b036f0f1c2a99f4c276e011ef481abf70979.jpg

Wyoming:
    [​IMG]

Beech Creek:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Baltimore:
    [​IMG]

Centralia:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rausch Creek:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Abandoned Pa Turnpike:
    [​IMG]

Texas Gulf Coast:
    [​IMG]

Moab 2013:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moab 2016:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Uwharrie NC

2CA363D3-55F8-47B9-8D67-AB3A3207E688_zps_f5d4448e222f4d79e8057cc3f5003b54998c8a37.jpg

IMG_5592_312315e5ee20b239bd61ae7beb09355feb1a81b7.jpg

Land Between The Lakes (Kentucky/Tennessee)
    [​IMG]
    And of course my tag::eek:

[​IMG]

Truck Specs
    2007 Black Sand Pearl (209)
    Double Cab Short Bed, TRD Sport, 4x4
    6 Speed Manual 4.0L V6

Drivetrain
    4.56 gears w/ARB locker Front & Rear
    FJ T-Case swap
    Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox with Davez Off-Road Triple stick conversion
    NWI Fab FJ case short-shift kit

Front Suspension
    Fox 2.5" rr Coils
    Total Chaos UCAs TC-96504
    Total Chaos LCA cam tab gussets - TC-59860
    Wheelers Superbump bumpstops
    Cab Mount Chop
    Total Chaos Spindle gussets - 59698-SB

Rear Suspension
    Billstein 5100 B-100 shocks
    OME Dakar CS047 rear leafs
    Allpro Ubolt flip
    Timbren bumpstops
    Original ATO shackle flip
    Defined Engineering stock length serviceable shackles
    1" Body lift

Audio
    Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU
    Pioneer 6x9 3-way in doors
    Kenwood Amp
    Kicker crossover
    Dual 6" SAS Bazooka Tubes w/ replaced PYLE subs

Misc stuff
    CST Leather interior
    CarID carbon fiber interior kit
    Weathertech Mats
    Scangauge II
    Black LED Tails
    Dash Mount for iPad Mini
    Core/Hurst Short Shifter w/T-Handle
    De-Badged
    Low Range off road Rear SS Extended brake lines
    2012-15 front end swap with one-off TRD Satoshi
    Maglite mounted in the cab
    Redline Hood Struts
    Cascadia Vehicle Tents (CVT) Mt. Hood RTT
    ARB Awning
    PrInSu full rack system
    Leer 100XQ Cap
    Sectioned Bushwhacker flares

Electrical
    Fog Light Anytime Mod
    ARB CKMA12 compressor
    Quadratec air supply lines
    To be installed:
    ATO Dual Battery Setup

Tires/Wheels
    35x12.5x17 Nitto Mud Grapplers
    Kmc Xd Strike wheels. 17x9 4.06 backspacing, -24mm offset

Intake
    ARB Safari Snorkel - SS135MOD, plumbed to stock intake

Recovery Gear
    Hi-lift & PSU Taco85's truck :p

Armor
    BudBuilt IFS, Trans, T-case
    4xInnovations weld on sliders w/ kickout
    BAMF LCA Skids
    BAMF rear differential skid
    Brute Force Fab Hybrid front bumper
    CBI Trail Master 2.0 Rear Hybrid Bumper w/ tiregate, hi-lift mount, and Dual can carrier

Front end swap to 12-15 style:

10/8/16 very dirty still from my last Rausch run. :oops:
    [​IMG]

Glam Shot from a recent meet:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  2. Jan 1, 2011 at 1:45 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Nice build!

3. Jan 1, 2011 at 1:48 PM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Tacoma
    Mostly Stock for now, 265 75 16 Falken AT3W, Tinted fronts...
    that 87 was pretty sick! are you gonna lift your current truck?

4. Jan 1, 2011 at 1:49 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Nice Craig

5. Jan 1, 2011 at 1:50 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such
    Very Nice! When you talked about parting with the '99, it made me sad:(

10tacosr5 likes this.
  6. Jan 1, 2011 at 1:58 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Thanks Chris!

Probably not... I use it for work & average 500 miles a week...:eek:
    Thank you Susan!
    Thanks, I still have many fond memories!:)

7. Jan 1, 2011 at 2:05 PM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Tacoma
    Mostly Stock for now, 265 75 16 Falken AT3W, Tinted fronts...
    ohhh alright, well it looks really good!

SnRTaco likes this.
  8. Jan 1, 2011 at 2:05 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
  9. Jan 1, 2011 at 2:18 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Thanks!:D
    Not too bad for a Mallcrawler....:rolleyes:

ecgreen likes this.
  10. Jan 1, 2011 at 2:50 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Leather seats FTW!

11. Jan 1, 2011 at 3:41 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Yeah... It is by far my favorite Mod to date!:cool:

12. Jan 1, 2011 at 3:46 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Same here, I couldn't live without them.

13. Jan 1, 2011 at 3:53 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    Cool story,pics always make a story better

14. Jan 1, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Thanks!
    I have to get some better ones done with my wife's Cannon 7D.:rolleyes:

15. Jan 1, 2011 at 4:28 PM
    easyeatlanta

easyeatlanta Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    14 DC Trd Off Road
    i really want that grid pattern on my truck and sweet interior

16. Jan 1, 2011 at 4:31 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Looking good Craig. I lost my 97 to the rust, still kind of miss it. I keep a picture of it sitting in the dealers lot waiting to be hauled away in my sig.

17. Jan 1, 2011 at 4:35 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    [​IMG]
    SERIOUSLY!
    that grid pattern was laid by hand with vinyl 3/16th pinstripe...
    I literally spent several DAYS laying it out & cutting by hand.
    IMHO your time would be better spent finding a shop that could die cut a spool of it.
    each square was 1"X1"
    You can find a TON of interior shots in the DIY link in the original post or in my gallery.

18. Jan 1, 2011 at 4:36 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Thanks Dave! It's good to know I'm not the only one...:eek:

19. Jan 1, 2011 at 5:00 PM
    AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i didnt any any home depot stickers on it :p

nice work craig

20. Jan 1, 2011 at 5:07 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    There actually is...:eek:
    can't see in in my pic's, but I have a small one on the drivers side rear glass.:rolleyes:

To Top