1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My build is almost complete!! 2012 Pyrite DBL CAB TRD Off Road

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by WinTheDay, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Jan 21, 2013 at 7:15 PM
    ross123

ross123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    fort bragg
    I'm a fellow pyrite owner and I think it's by far the best color out there. Nice looking truck.

2. Jan 21, 2013 at 7:27 PM
    duckfan

duckfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '01 Doublecab Prerunner
    I love the hitch cover!

3. Mar 10, 2013 at 7:01 PM
    WinTheDay

WinTheDay [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD OFFROAD DBL CAB 4x4
    3"/1" Pro Comp Leveling Lift, TRD Exhaust, Black Tube Steps, 800 watt 5ch digital amp, 6.5" JL Audio components, 10" Rockford Fosgate with custom box
    Updated

4. Mar 16, 2017 at 9:54 PM
    Chizel07

Chizel07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tacoma
    This is my inspiration.... I love everything about the look of this truck!!!! I am probably going to use it as my base template... lmao.

5. Mar 17, 2017 at 4:01 AM
    sjwhitaker

sjwhitaker Today Was A Good Day.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Berea, KY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Offroad 6MT - Icon Stage 2 - 285/75/16 Falken AT3W
    Truck looks awesome! Hopefully ProComp has changed the powder coat formulation they use, the ProComp wheels I had on my FJ were a HUGE pain in the butt to detail. I spent countless hours cleaning off water spots and trying to get an even coating of quick detailer on them. I tried every snake oil method and recommendations from countless car detailing forums and videos and nothing worked to give them a uniform appearance. I was told (take it for what it's worth, but it makes sense) that the density of the powder coat changes across the wheel so some areas were more prone to discoloration. Long story short I was glad to see them go! Several people had similar issues so hopefully they changed it up some. Can't beat the appearance for the price though!!!

6. Mar 17, 2017 at 6:48 AM
    Chizel07

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tacoma
    Hmmm... I am actually looking into these rims after I seen it on this Truck, are you implying that expecting some discoloration is probable on those rims?

If that's the case, I may elect not to even entertain them at all....

7. Mar 17, 2017 at 7:24 AM
    sjwhitaker

sjwhitaker Today Was A Good Day.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Berea, KY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Offroad 6MT - Icon Stage 2 - 285/75/16 Falken AT3W
    I purchased my set in 2012 IIRC, I think that was around the time they began the venture into black wheels. Alot may have changed since then and they may have a better coating by now. But yes, when I had the wheels there were "dry" areas. The wheels would look nice and uniform after washing them (with a simple car was soap per ProComp). But... once the wheels dried there were areas that were matte black and areas that were a dark gray color. It was recommended to me by some guys on AutoGeek to try a spray detailer such as Turtle wax ICE or something similar that doesn't leave a white residue on rubber like most waxes and spray detailers. Again, it would look decent after alot of wiping but I could still notice discoloration. Did Joe blow notice walking by my truck? Propably not. Did it scream at me everytime I walked out to my FJ. YES. Not to mention it would absorb tire shine and leave darker spots on the wheel. I will freely admit that I eventually just sprayed the wheel with tire shine after a couple of years of fighting it and would just wipe it off. It looked decent! But of course dust was attracted to the tire shine and it looked like crap 2 days later. Again, they may have changed to a more uniform and durable powder coat and they make look amazing after only some soap and water. I don't know. I do know that compared the the TRD fake beadlocks I have now there is no comparison to the finish. I can wash my wheels now and hit them with spray detailer and they look perfect until the next wash.

CowboyTaco likes this.
  8. Mar 17, 2017 at 8:26 AM
    Chizel07

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tacoma
    I appreciate the detailed response, thanks alot man!

Products Discussed in

To Top