1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Build... so Far

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by YotaKid62, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Dec 21, 2011 at 7:21 PM
    YotaKid62

YotaKid62 [OP] Dirty mall crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma TRD Sr5 5 speed
    Grey Wire Locker Mod, 3" coil spacers & custom leaf packs, 2" BL, Skyjacker rear nitro shocks, Monroe front gas shocks; 15" eclipse sub & 1400 watt visonik amp with Kenwood stereo, Billet Petals, Black Aries series Grille guard, ebay baja lights (unsure of brand)
    Since we bought our first toyota, a 2000 model 4runner a few years ago, a tacoma has pretty much been my dream pickup. Back in July of 2011, my dream (finally) came true lol. So here's what I have at the moment. My build will probly never be really finished. I'll always find something else to be doing to my truck. but so far:

Mod list

33x12.50 gt radial adventuro's

3" coilover spacer-$150 for the lift kit, 2" blocks are now gone.

Doug style leaf pack rebuilds- Can't get more free than this!

revtek differential drop-$25

Skyjacker nitro shocks in the rear-about $90

Monroe sensitrac shocks up front-186$! (ik i got ripped off but I got impatient after waiting 2 weeks to recieve 2wd shocks that were on backorder)

Disconnected sway bar: Just took out the bolts and flipped it up out of the way for now. If I go on a road trip or somethin' it would be good to hook back on. I don't like the roll I get when I have something in the bed, but It definitely helps the suspension flex when offroad.

Kobalt Lo Pro tool box- Unkown (it was a xmas present)

2" body lift

relocated shocks

After seeing slodghetto's build I figured it wouldn't hurt to link some of the bigger projects to make them easier to find. So here's a little table of contents.

In order starting with most recent TABLE OF CONTENTS

Shock relocation/Body lift: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-builds/194204-my-build-so-far-7.html#post6223996

Roof Lights/Tires: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-builds/194204-my-build-so-far-4.html

Hood struts: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-builds/194204-my-build-so-far-3.html

Wheel/trim paint: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-builds/194204-my-build-so-far-2.html

And On this page we have the Deckplate mod, 8" subs, and Leaf pack rebuilds

The day I got it.
    [​IMG]
    As it sets at the moment.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Kenwood Stereo- about $200 w/ installation
    760 watt pioneer amp- $60
    8" fosgate subs-$120
    (note: i have since upgraded to a 15 and ditched the 8's and can still seat 4) see page 3
    [​IMG]

black brush guard-$180
    fog lights-$20.00
    [​IMG]
    grey wire locker mod-Totally DIY FREE!!!!
    billet race pedals. $20
    cheap seat covers $20
    [​IMG]

some pimpin' led's (anyone who hates how dark their 1st gen. taco is at night when ur reachin' for ur pop or tryin' to plug in ur phone should get a set) $20.00
    [​IMG]

2. Dec 21, 2011 at 9:32 PM
    186000mps

186000mps ..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma V6 4WD
    Bilstein 5100's, Toytec front adjustable coilover kit, Exporear leafs, Fox resi rears, Slotted & Drilled front rotors, 33x12.50 BFG ATs on Outlaw II 15 x 10s, Bushwacker cutout flares, K&N cold air intake with aluminum sheathing water baffles, ARB bumper with XD9000 winch with wireless remote, IPF 900XS lights, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Rhino bed liner, UWS gullwing toolbox with tools and recovery gear. 48" Hi-Lift Jack secured under toolbox.
    Looking good, keep up the good work.
    Welcome to TW!

3. Feb 28, 2012 at 6:02 PM
    YotaKid62

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Grey Wire Locker Mod, 3" coil spacers & custom leaf packs, 2" BL, Skyjacker rear nitro shocks, Monroe front gas shocks; 15" eclipse sub & 1400 watt visonik amp with Kenwood stereo, Billet Petals, Black Aries series Grille guard, ebay baja lights (unsure of brand)
    So I decided to throw down a whopping 15$ and a whole 30 mins and do the deckplate mod:rolleyes:. Got the deckplate from a local powersports shop and cut out the airbox hole with a jigsaw. Then used tin screws and silicone on the ring to seal it up.
    [​IMG]

Closes off real nice. This was handy when I recently discovered that the North Pole was residing in my airbox .:facepalm:
    [​IMG]

here it is installed. Sorry for the crappy pic.
    [​IMG]

Next mods to come.
    -some 33's ( thinking procomp xterrains)
    -1 or 2" body lift to grab some easy lift.(a little scared of 3"... and dont lecture me, I know the risks.)
    -Make a light bar and get some legit offroad lights
    -soooome day a trail gear low profile bumper
    - Maybe eventually a flowmaster exhaust.

4. Feb 28, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    02tacomav6

02tacomav6 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brody
    Chesapeake
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma V6 3.4
    how did you out your leds in the cigar ports i have the same blue in each door speaker port, one under each side of the dash and two 8" stripes in the back? Also your fosgate speakers im guessing that is a custom setup just out of curiosity how did you do that? truck looks good as well:D

5. Feb 28, 2012 at 6:21 PM
    YotaKid62

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    well the leds I just stuck on the side of the shifter boot, tucked the wires underneath, and plugged 'em in, if thats what you mean. Oh, and also I cut and spliced the cupholder ones to the same switch to save a power outlet. And yes, haha, my subs are VERY custom. I cut out the plywood with a jigsaw, drilled out the holes and used 3/16 speednut clips and screws to fasten them down. Definitely get bigger ones though, thats my one regret. I also ditched the plastic frames on the cubby holes and put some foam weather stripping in to seal it up. Then i had a rattle so I drilled a hole through the middle of the metal where their mounted and through the bottom, and then stuck a bolt through it. And, thats about it! the amp just sits under the seat.

6. Feb 28, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    YotaKid62

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    ohhh, i get what you mean now, they are powered from the cigar lighters and the switches just light up like that.

7. Feb 29, 2012 at 3:57 PM
    02tacomav6

02tacomav6 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brody
    Chesapeake
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma V6 3.4
    can you still utilize the seats or no b/c i want subs bad but i dont wanna take up alot of space and seeing your setup was a good idea i just still need to be able to have those seats for friends and family

8. Feb 29, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    YotaKid62

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    That's the exact reason i did what i did! I'd recommend getting protective grilles of some sort, which i need to do myself. On the driver side you might need to remove the plastic guard on the inner seat hinge for it to go Down. I did. But all in all it works great and is the best bang for your buck. Since the subs are in the cab with you they feel like they hit as hard as a set of twelves in a car trunk. Ohh, and another thing don't forget to turn them off when someones sitting on them to avoid damage.

9. Mar 1, 2012 at 4:23 PM
    02tacomav6

02tacomav6 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brody
    Chesapeake
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma V6 3.4
    alright man thanks for the tips ill have to go out there and look and plan it in my head:)

10. Mar 1, 2012 at 4:45 PM
    YotaKid62

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Btw make sure you don't drill ur pilot holes too big. I've got screws rattling now.

11. Mar 1, 2012 at 4:49 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    nice :thumbsup: looks good

12. Mar 5, 2012 at 9:45 AM
    YotaKid62

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Recently added some ford 3/4 ton springs to my factory yota springs, being they were worse than flat. Pics up soon.

13. Mar 5, 2012 at 7:47 PM
    YotaKid62

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    So I realized my leaf stock springs were in very sorry shape (one of toyota's biggest weaknesses), so I checked out Doug (4WD)'s thread on how to rebuild using used springs off a ford or chevy (somethin with american steel) and went with that. I got some leafs off an old 3/4 ton ford totally free from a nearby farmer. heres some before and after pics. This is highly recommended for someone in my situation, a broke High School kid stuck with crappy leaf springs and a cheap lift kit.

Before: leafs are almost bottomed out on the base plated and bump stops. I have 2" block installed and those only make it worse.

[​IMG]

Heres my donor springs, I took the bottom 2 since they were the only ones short enough, cleaned 'em up , and stuck em in there.

[​IMG]

Heres the final product. Axle blocks removed also.

Driver side.

[​IMG]

Passenger side. This side doesn't look so good since i was working on uneven ground, causing the suspension to flex slightly.

[​IMG]

Maybe they still aren't as good as they could be, but hey, at least they curve up now. I removed my 2" axle blocks and still ended up slightly higher than I was before. Thanks for looking!

14. Mar 13, 2012 at 8:52 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Nice work Forrest !!..:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Hey dude you have nothing to apologize for, this MOD is a work in progress... & from what I see, your springs were extremely in the neg. arc position before & now your in the pos. arc position as it should be. Now your a little higher than the 2" blocks were giving you . That, coupled with the fact your springs were an inch in the other direction puts you at right about 3".. Bingo !! This is where every lift w/springs seems to wind up at..

Wow, your 16 ?? Damn buddy , you def. getting reps for jumping into it & having the balls (confidence) to pull the trigger to do this....!;);)

15. Mar 13, 2012 at 8:58 PM
    Enduromatic

Enduromatic Very Classy Redneck.

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Oregon. Heart still Colo though.
    Vehicle:
    17 magrey dclb TRD or.
    rebuilt leafs/ billy 5125 ome/ billy 5100
    Sweet , glad to see someone else rockin this mod! Any how we need pics with it on wheels and its stance dude! If you want a bit more lift then remove 1 more you tacos and replace with donor or add 1 bottom donor just cut up one of the long 1s you have to fit! Mine turned out with 2 inches of rake with 2 inches in the front so i believe i got 4! Any way they ride absolutely awesome .How dos your ride after having crap leafs and a block?????gotta feel bettter!

16. Mar 13, 2012 at 9:02 PM
    Enduromatic

Enduromatic Very Classy Redneck.

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Oregon. Heart still Colo though.
    Vehicle:
    17 magrey dclb TRD or.
    rebuilt leafs/ billy 5125 ome/ billy 5100
    Ah just noticed the 2nd pic has mean rake must be the pic i was asking for! Cool man looks to sit about where mine sits! Good work man!

17. Mar 14, 2012 at 9:15 AM
    YotaKid62

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys! i definitely got what I wanted from this mod and more! I got lazy and didn't do the diamond cuts or paint, since I was short on time, but it definitely paid off. Now, if i could just get rid of my coil spacers...

18. Mar 14, 2012 at 9:17 AM
    YotaKid62

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Yea, haha thanks man. being that I don't have a whole lot else to do, I've done everything on my truck myself except install the head unit, and oil changes, those are a PITA to me.

19. Mar 18, 2012 at 9:24 PM
    Jsimp

Jsimp WV, VA, NC places i roam in the Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Winchester VA
    Vehicle:
    02 4runner
    E-Locker swapped! Limited swapppppp
    nice truck man. my grandma had the same truck color and brush guard. Did you build the custom sub box? could you post a few more pic of them? im looking to make one so far yours looks the best.

20. Mar 19, 2012 at 10:11 AM
    YotaKid62

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Haha, wow, that makes me feel cool. Your grandma had the same truck lol. but yea I can take some more sub pics, Its not a box though, I just built the covers.

Products Discussed in

To Top