1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Dog is going to Die

Discussion in 'Personal & Emotional Support' started by NicksRig, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Dec 9, 2009 at 5:00 PM
    ROADHOG

ROADHOG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Valley of the sun
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl cab 4x4 TRD Offroad fully loaded
    Big block Chevy engine(just kidding)
    He can be saved but it might not be cheap:

Diagnosis

Diagnosis of blastomycosis involves finding the yeast organism in samples from draining skin lesions or a lymph node. Chest x-rays and a complete blood count (CBC) are important tests but are not diagnostic by themselves. Serum chemistries are usually within normal limits. Fungal titers confirm the diagnosis and help differentiate blastomycosis from histoplasmosis, a related fungal condition with similar signs and geographic distribution.
    About 65 percent of dogs diagnosed with blastomycosis do survive. Because the treatment is long, complicated, and expensive with the potential for serious side effects, some owners elect to euthanize affected pets. In treated dogs, survival rates are approximately 85 percent, with up to 25 percent suffering relapses. Dogs with brain or eye involvement have a worse prognosis, and dogs with poor liver or kidney function may not be able to tolerate the necessary medications that must be metabolized by these organs. If an eye is involved, it usually must be removed since eyes don't respond well to therapy and serve as a source of infection.

Treatment

For many years, the standard therapy for blastomycosis has been amphotericin B. It is still the best choice for acute, life-threatening illness, and treated dogs show improvement in three to five days. Amphotericin must be given as an intravenous injection, either as a slow IV drip over several hours or as rapid IV bolus injections, one to three times weekly until a maximum cumulative dose is reached. Rapid injections increase the potential for acute drug reactions, and the drug has a toxic effect on kidney function, which requires close monitoring. The veterinarian may temporarily delay therapy while the kidneys recover from the injury.
    Ketoconazole given orally twice a day has been effective against blastomycosis. Although it may take 10-14 days to see clinical improvement with this drug, it may be useful in a dog with poor kidney function and a mild form of the disease. Given alone, ketoconazole has a lower cure rate than amphotericin, but when given together, the two drugs work synergistically, allowing veterinarians to use lower doses of amphotericin and minimize the risk of kidney failure as well as promoting a more rapid and complete cure. The side effects of ketoconazole are related to liver toxicity and include anorexia, nausea, and vomiting. It can be harmful to pregnant dogs and may also affect the fertility of male dogs.
    Itraconazole is the newest drug used to treat blastomycosis. It is given orally twice a day at first, then once daily for 60-90 days. Like amphotericin, it takes effect quickly, and has the same cure rate as the amphotericin-ketoconazole combination. The side effects are related to liver toxicity, like ketoconazole, with the addition of ulcerative skin lesions and swelling of the legs at the higher dose.
    The biggest drawback to itraconazole is the cost, about $10 per day for a 40-pound dog for the medication alone, about twice the cost of ketoconazole. Because these drugs are dosed on body weight, larger dogs will have comparably larger drug costs. Blood tests and other veterinary services must also be considered in the cost of treatment. Total fees of $1000 or more would not be unusual.
    Blastomycosis is not generally considered a zoonotic disease, meaning one that is potentially contagious to people. If you have a pet with this infection, it indicates that you may be at risk for contracting the disease through a common environmental source such as contaminated soil near a waterway. Since it is the mold form that releases infective spores through the air, you cannot get blastomycosis from the air around your dog who is infected with the yeast form of the fungus.
    Recent studies indicate some risk of exposure through penetrating wounds with sharp contaminated objects such as a sharp stick or a dog bite, so good safety and hygiene precautions are indicated. Needless to say, persons with deficient immune systems should not be handling infected dogs.

Please do not have that dog killed.He looks like he would be an awesome investment if you would save his life.I once spent over $1,300 on my sick cat and he was worth every penny.Please do not kill Sugar.

2. Dec 9, 2009 at 5:02 PM
    dtrujillo63

dtrujillo63 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denny
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport
    +1

At least get another opinion. The whole situation breaks my heart. :(

3. Dec 10, 2009 at 7:50 AM
    NicksRig

NicksRig [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kenora, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    Blacked out Skid plate, block heater, bug deflector, blacked out headlights, tinted fronts, OME 3" lift, Toytec AAL, Revenge-Fab Sliders, K&N Air Filter
    Thanks for all of the support. I would treat her if her chances were better. She has a severe case and it is into her lungs and limbs. Making walking and breathing more difficult for her. The vets give her only a 15% chance with treatment (if the treament works). At $1800 for the first treatment i cannot afford to do this (especially a dog I have had for a week). It is a tough decsision, but I have seen a lot of dogs with this disease and its not fun to watch. I can't imagine how hard things are for her and feel this is probably the best for her. So I am going to spoil her as much as possible for the rest of the day. Thanks again for the support, it meant a lot to my GF the people we dont even know are giving us the support. (Maybe she wont bug me as much for being on TW all the time now.):eek:

4. Dec 10, 2009 at 7:54 AM
    iTacozz

iTacozz Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Animals are a true blessing especially for me dogs..... I could not even imagine if I was going to lose my dog. I feel your pain and hope everything works out in the end. I am truly saddened by this:sorry:

5. Dec 10, 2009 at 7:58 AM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig

Sorry to here. But ^^^very true

6. Dec 10, 2009 at 7:58 AM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    Sorry to hear this. Unfortunatley it seems that many of the dogs in pounds have some injury or disease that is either incurable or expensive to fix. I think people have the dog for a while then when it needs expensive work doing they'll dump it instead of stumping up the money. I live opposite a park and we see lame dogs around here quite a bit, people just leave them here.

7. Dec 10, 2009 at 8:06 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
  8. Dec 10, 2009 at 8:52 AM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sorry to hear this Nick. You were her hero and you'll be a hero to another pup I'm sure. It's your heart.

9. Dec 10, 2009 at 9:01 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    That is so sad to hear. Good on you and your GF for taking her in and showing compasion for her.

10. Dec 10, 2009 at 9:10 AM
    buck

buck Don't sweat the petty - pet the sweaty

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    15 DC V6 4x4 TRD Magnetic Gray
    High-flow coconut smiley-face air freshener.
    It is amazing and highly commendable what you are doing for this dog. She could not have been more lucky to spend her time with you two.

We've rescued 3 cats from our local shelter in the last couple of years and know how hard it is when a pet passes. They become considered family quickly.

11. Dec 10, 2009 at 9:11 AM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    Sorry to hear about your dog.

12. Dec 10, 2009 at 9:28 AM
    raskal311

raskal311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Cal
    5100 set to max, pending LSD and TRD CAI
    Sorry to hear dude, and props to you and your girlfriend.

To Top