1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

my first gun

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by colinb17, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Jun 30, 2010 at 9:54 AM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    First gun if you only could have one should be something in .22LR. A good Ruger 10/22. For a handgun I LOVE a good reliable revolver. Get a serious man stopping .357.

Everyone's entitled to my opinion.

2. Jun 30, 2010 at 10:30 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    It has been said before, by experts (Col Jeff Cooper for one), handguns are there to give you time to get your shotgun in a home defense situation. They have more stopping power than a handgun.
    A pistol grip, double-barrel, exposed trigger, break-action shotgun is the choice for home defense. Shotgunner takes point. Handgunner rounds up family.
    Training for any type of guncraft is readily available, if you look for it.

Everyone is responsible for their own defense and must live/die by their choices. I'm not here to ram anything down anyone's throat.

3. Jun 30, 2010 at 10:35 AM
    OCTaco

OCTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    Check out these guys, they usually have good prices on guns.

budsgunshop.com

4. Jun 30, 2010 at 10:51 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 [OP] If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    that's where i've been looking. they do seem to have good prices. huge selection too. and they ship the guns to a lot of locations...lots near where i'll be :)

5. Jun 30, 2010 at 11:45 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    you've lost your mind

bingo...if youre in a position to NEED that firearm...you do NOT want to give any tactical advantage away to the knucklehead in your home

:thumbsup:

do i have a shotgun near the bed? absolutely...a handgun is closer though...its a lot easier to move around a corner and keep your tactical advantage with a handgun than trying to swing an 18.5" barrel around

6. Jun 30, 2010 at 11:53 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod

There is "The Range" in Stafford, VA and another range (cannot recall name) in Woodbridge off Rt 1.

7. Jun 30, 2010 at 11:55 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...

thanks don. you know if they rent? an NRA range is real close to my house, but i don't believe they rent out anything.

8. Jun 30, 2010 at 11:55 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    Shooting around corners can be fun if done right. A pistol might be easier - but nothig like the sound of a round getting chambered in a shotgun.

9. Jun 30, 2010 at 11:58 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport

Oh yea brother! They do rent for sure... Dawson's Small Arms in VA is a great place to buy from. I bought my Kahr P9 Covert from there. The Woodbrige range isn't far from there... Just wish I could remember name.

10. Jun 30, 2010 at 12:00 PM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Here is the place in Stafford/Fredericksburg area: http://www.indoorrange.com/

Place in Woodbridge: Shooters Paradise, 13979 Jefferson Davis Hwy, Woodbridge, VA 22191, 703-491-4867 (Don't buy from here if you can help it, last time I was there the prices were higher than Dawson's Small Arms).

11. Jun 30, 2010 at 12:04 PM
    Hunter.V.White

Hunter.V.White Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4WD TRD-Off Road
    Pelfreybilt Steel Armor, Famous Fabrication Sliders, OME 3" Lift, 886x coils, Dakar Leaf Packs, TC UCA's, Fuel D551 Wheels, 285/70/R17 Toyo Tech RTs, Warn Zeon 10s Winch, Rigid Industries 20" E2 Flood, RI 20" SR Spot/flood, RI Duallys, SwitchPro SP8100, Uniden Bearcat 680 CB Radio.
    I disagree with this; the general rule of thumb revolves around the intruder physically being in the house. In some states, they must also threaten your safety, or the safety of those you are protecting. If they are in your home with malicious intent, then you have every right to defend yourself.

Also, if you rack your shotgun to alert them that you have a weapon, you've just admitted that you didn't previously have a round chambered. Why would you confront a criminal without a round chambered? The presence of a firearm immediately escalates the situation; if you are going to brandish a weapon then you best be prepared to use it. My rule: don't brandish until you absolutely have to kill them - and don't shoot to wound, shoot to kill.

I agree that weapons should never be used for intimidation purposes. Too often they will escalate the situation out of control, and they will be used when it may have been possible to avoid shooting all together.

My opinion on a good home defense weapon: a 1911 in .45 ACP by Colt, Smith & Wesson, Kimber, Springfiled, or any other reliable manufacture.

These pistols are really accurate, reliable, and can put something down if need be. I also like the single action aspect of the weapon. For example, when I use my 1911 as a home defense weapon, I don't have a round chambered. I believe that racking the pistol can be done soon enough and will allow me a few more seconds to gain sound judgement if I awoke in the middle of the night and needed a pistol (as opposed to being able to grab and fire while still being half asleep). I have a K-Bar if I literally don't have time to chamber a round. This would be identical to keeping any other pistol without a round chambered - all you have to do is rack the slide and you're ready to go. If you are going to keep it in a gun vault, then you could make the argument that getting into the vault requires enough processing to wake you up, so you could keep a round chambered to reduce reaction time.

However, when I carry it concealed, I carry with a round chambered - cocked and locked (If I need a pistol on the street then I won't have enough time to rack the slide) - and I like the ability to have a mechanical safety. Double action only (DAO) pistols like the Glock don't have an active mechanical safety. They have a passive safety in the form of a really long trigger pull.

Just my two cents.

12. Jun 30, 2010 at 12:11 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    Thanks Don, I'll have to check out those places before i head down to florida. Not that i have anything to compare to, but the stafford range seems to have really good rates on gun rentals. $8 for a gun, $11 for 50 rounds and $8 for a half hour of range time sounds pretty reasonable :)

13. Jun 30, 2010 at 12:22 PM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport

That's where I used to shoot all the time. Small - off the beaten path...

14. Jun 30, 2010 at 12:41 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    Colin- When you get back to Melbourne, give Action Gun Outfitters a call, they are on Aurora Road in Melbourne, they have an indoor range and do rent pistols. It's a small indoor range but the only one in Melbourne that rents used pistols. I have a Ruger P95 DC that I keep handy, no true safety button/lever but one round in the chamber,hammer down, drop it throw it down it wont fire, the first shot is a long trigger pull @ 11 LBS then every other trigger pull is around 4 Lbs,(or close to that) that means no slide to be operated, no lever to pull just aim squeeze and shoot. It's a very safe gun, but somewhat on the large size to carry on your person concealed.

15. Jun 30, 2010 at 1:29 PM
    hkbeliever

hkbeliever Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Colorado
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport
    The duty to warn that you are armed is a myth forwarded by the anti-gun political groups. No such law!!! The question is one of escalation of force... ie. can you use deadly force where none is presented toward you? In your home most states have adopted the approach that if someone is in your home (intruder) the burden shifts from what a "reasonable person" would do, to what was reasonable based on your impression or understanding of the level of threat. The use of a safe room is a good practice but sometimes becomes impractical. However, giving away your position is not only ill-advised it is plain stupid if the intruder is armed. Anymore you have to assume that any intruder is armed. I agree with other posters on the note to shoot as a last resort but never to warn or wound.

As far as what first pistol? If you want cheap shooting nothing beats a .22lr and ruger makes some great models. Not a big fan of the larger semi-autos. Accuracy and reliability are known problems with Ruger. Frankly any semi auto is prone to failure. Even the best names..dont believe the hype. A wheel gun (revolver)is a must for anyone starting their collection. That said I carry an HK .45c and it has never jammed and hits where I point. There is a reason that every special ops and swat teams use their subguns.

16. Jun 30, 2010 at 1:57 PM
    AFmac

AFmac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Valdosta, GA
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner SR5
    If you don't want to go up to a .45 ACP, then imo you should seriously consider either a 9mm or a .40. With the 9mm you get the advantage of being able to almost always find ammo for it. Even right after Obama took office, I was able to regularly find it. And depending on the gun you get, you may have a few more rounds with a 9mm than a .40. Either way you have way more than you would with a .45 (but if you cant drop someone with 8 rounds of .45 your screwed anyways :p ). With the .40 you have the advantage of a bit heavier slug which translates into more stopping power. It was a little more difficult to find when Obama first came in, but I see it pretty regularly now.

As for the models... like everyone else said, I would wait until you can get to a range that rents out weapons and get your hands on as many as possible. Personally, I love the feel of the Springfield XDM .40 and have been considering making that my next gun :D . But it really is all about personal feel. Find something that fits and feels good in your hand and is also accurate with your shooting.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to pick up!

17. Jun 30, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    thanks Kevin, it's good to know of a reputable range in the melbourne area, and even better that it rents.

so i think i'll be looking mostly at 9mm pistols. seems like they are easy to find amo for, cheaper to operate, and will get the job done.

18. Jun 30, 2010 at 6:58 PM

747 function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    xd 45 acp, ftw!

19. Jun 30, 2010 at 7:08 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    Now I dont mean to come across as a smart ass, although why would anyone in their right mind warn someone that they are about to get shot... Sure you gave your reasons, but none of them are good enough to warrant notifying an intruder that you are about to open fire :rolleyes:. A dead man doesn't talk, so whether or not you warn the bastard is irrelevant. In my eyes, and the law's eyes, if you are inside of my house committing robbery, or with the intent to cause injury to myself or my family, you are as good as dead.

20. Jun 30, 2010 at 7:08 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    When you get in town look me up here. Call me, and take my Ruger for a trial run. Then look into Indian River gun range, it's 30 minutes south of here (Sebastaian) and a public outdoor range. Nice place, very safe, gun friendly.

Products Discussed in

To Top