1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

my first gun...

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by gupster88, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Sep 9, 2009 at 11:16 PM
    gupster88

gupster88 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey Off Road
    Stock
    well i shouldn't say i haven't picked one out. i've actually picked 3 out, i'm going to get a kel-tec pf9 for summertime use or when im wearing shorts for an easier conceal. then when i am wearing jeans im either going with the glock 37 or a xd .40

2. Sep 9, 2009 at 11:26 PM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    Both the Glock and and the XD .40 are awesome weapons. If you are looking for some great upgrades after you get it check this guy out http://www.barsto.com he has a beautiful shop and has had my XD for about two months doing about $700 worth in upgrades. He is only about 3 miles from me.

3. Sep 9, 2009 at 11:28 PM
    gupster88

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    sweet. yeah once i get one im gonna have the .40 (whichever i pick) upgraded a little. im gonna keep the kel tec as is though

4. Sep 9, 2009 at 11:33 PM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    Good deal man, either way let me know what you are looking at and I will go out to Barsto and see if I can get you a deal if you want. I will shoot you some pics of mine when I get it back this week (fingers crossed) I am getting the new barrel, new spring, prototype 3rd safety, Dawson night sights, extended mag release, new mag well and grip reduction. It should be pretty sweet. What is cool about Barsto is that he works with Springfield to do prototype work before stuff hits the market so I will be the first with the new safety paddle! WooHoo, well other than the Springfield shooting team.

5. Sep 9, 2009 at 11:35 PM
    dw77x

dw77x Those are not my pants

Member:
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Sport LB
    5100's all 4 corners (front at 2.5"), rear tsb springs with 1.5" AAL, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's
    I would grab a nice set of tritium sights and a thousand rounds of ammo or so. . .shoot the thing till it feels like is is part of your hand. Practice your draws and racks till you can do them in your sleep. Make it feel as normal as your cell phone, that is always my goal.

6. Sep 10, 2009 at 6:53 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Considering a first gun? Read this to help choose....
    Choosing a self defense system Choosing a self-defense system is very personal, and making this choice takes considerable thought and planning. Here are some guidelines to consider, but remember, the ultimate choice is yours.

Only your life depends on it.
    WEAPON SYSTEM
    Which gun? Actually the answer is pretty simple. The one you will have with you when you need it. Choose the biggest caliber you can comfortable carry and more importantly, will carry. Having an 88 magnum at home is a poor choice when you are having the poop kicked out of you in the parking lot of the local "Stop + Rob". In a crisis, any reliable gun that you have trained with, is better than no gun at all.
    RELIABILITY
    No matter which gun you choose, it is imperative that you fire it on a regular basis. Most guns need some sort of work on them to make them reliable and user friendly. Have this work done by a competent gunsmith. Do only what needs to be done. Keep the system simple and reliable. Remember, only your life depends on it.
    RETENTION SYSTEM
    Carrying a gun should become part of your daily life and also your wardrobe. You may very well need more than one retention device to suit all your needs. You may wear an inside the pants holster during your workday and have to switch to a fanny pack to go with your jeans and T-shirt in the evening. Keep an open mind and find the system that works for you. The system should hold the gun securely in place especially if you are manhandled. It should only require one hand to get a firing grip, and deploy as your other hand may be occupied in fending your assailant off.
    TRAINING
    Without proper training and the mind set that comes with it, your gun can be a liability rather than an asset. We know that under stress we will do one of two things:
    [SIZE=2]1. Freeze: the old familiar "I can't believe this is happening to me" or,[/SIZE]
    [FONT=Arial]2. Reflexively revert to that which we have trained to do.[/FONT]
    Training not only gives you the physical skills necessary to respond to a sudden attack but more importantly, the mind set to defend yourself. The fight is won or lost in your head, way before the real potential fight ever takes place. Go to a recognized training institution and get an education. Remember, only your life depends on it.
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][B]The ONLY reason to fight is to WIN.[/B] [/SIZE][/FONT]

7. Sep 10, 2009 at 7:13 AM
    gupster88

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    sounds good man. thanks. ill shot ya a pm once i get everything and am ready for the guy.

lucky me i have 85 acres to shoot on so you better believe ill be buying up ammo and shootin alot,

thanks for the tips chris. very helpful, as always :thumbsup:

8. Dec 14, 2009 at 3:41 PM
    gupster88

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    ok ok so i have my 2 choices for my conceal carry, finally!!!

A) s&w .38 special with crimson trace laser

B) kel tec .380

i like the simplicity of the .38, power, and accuracy...but i like the compactness of the .380. dont get me wrong the .38 is compact and light too, but i think the kel tec is more compact. i might get both though not sure...

also, im gonna be picking up a mossberg 500 pursuader 12 gauge with 8 round capacity. im also lookin to get an ar-15 or something like a .223 round.

9. Dec 14, 2009 at 3:45 PM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    The SW 38sp is a smart first gun.
    Don't let the laser become a crutch...learn to aim(point) like the laser didn't work...cuz some day....

Doorbuster shotty is for what?
    No practical purpose other than SHTF.

10. Dec 14, 2009 at 6:59 PM
    Lane Cypert

Lane Cypert Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lewisville, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 silver prerunner double cab TRD
    Check out the Sigs as well! Just go to a gun show and get the feel for what fits best in your hand!

11. Dec 16, 2009 at 3:15 PM
    TacoBow

TacoBow Intentionally cosmetically correct.

Member:
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Quad LB
    Any wheel gun for that fact of the matter is a smart first gun.

The SW 38 sp is a great defensive choice. No bells and whistles... no complicated safety to manipulate, really the perfect personal protection piece.

Today's potent 38 +p rounds offer a greatly improved shot to stop ratio than that of the 38 caliber ammo from yesteryear. The 38 is no longer "light in the pants" by comparison.

I'd suggest a revolver to all who want a handgun for protection purposes and are without the aptitude to accept the potential issues that an auto loading handgun can present.

Not to sound improper, but most, (not all), women fall into this catagory.

Safety first. That's the real deal. Being able to hit what you aim at under stress is the other. It doesn't matter a hill of beans how big a bullet you're throwing if it doesn't hit the intended target. A ten year old with a .22 caliber rimfire that shoots regularly is going to be way more accurate compared to someone who carries a big bore handgun and fails to practice properly with it.

Just because someone carries doesn't mean I would want them defending me inside a fast food restaurant.

Get certified instruction with whatever handgun you choose... buy the best quality firearm you can afford, (save up... don't skimp here), and become proficient with it. This way, both you and your weapon will do the job if and when called upon.

What to know about calibers? Save space and flamers... just PM me. :quickdraw:

12. Feb 27, 2010 at 3:21 PM
    gupster88

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    Ok so i went on a spree today. i bought a s&w .38 special airweight and a s&w .49. I also bought a colt .22 tactical rimfire full metal construction

13. Feb 27, 2010 at 8:26 PM
    taco084gb

taco084gb No matter where you go there you are.

Member:
    First Name:
    Galen
    NorCal
    Here is my concealed carry pistol. When I pull this out from my coat they just drop dead and then I keep walking. HAHAHAHA Just kidding.
    Its a Thompson Contender 16" ported barrel in the .500 S&W. IT can shoot up to a 500 grain bullet.
    [​IMG]

14. Feb 27, 2010 at 8:32 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Haha, awesome. My wife's late father has/had a S&W .460 in the 6" and the 8" models. That was a beast too.

15. Feb 27, 2010 at 8:37 PM
    taco084gb

taco084gb No matter where you go there you are.

Member:
    First Name:
    Galen
    NorCal
    Ya bout five rounds of this rig it makes my hand numb. But it makes one big hole in boxes.:eek:
    [​IMG]

16. Jul 7, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    AVTOMAT

AVTOMAT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Behind you
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DBL Cab Super White
    De-badge.Pro Comp 7089.White front emblem.AFE pro dry air filter.Full Wet Okole covers.The rest in progress pending research
  17. Jul 7, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Back for more? I thought I embarrassed you enough last time, no?

18. Jul 22, 2011 at 5:31 PM
    AVTOMAT

AVTOMAT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Behind you
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DBL Cab Super White
    De-badge.Pro Comp 7089.White front emblem.AFE pro dry air filter.Full Wet Okole covers.The rest in progress pending research
    You did nothing but look dumb..... and be wrong....and throw a tantrum about it.

Damn , sitting here wondering...OMG whats the most gay, retarded thing on Tacomaworld , you or your sig. I can't tell. I guess I while ask you , what ever you say is always right anyway.

19. Jul 22, 2011 at 6:00 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
  20. Jul 22, 2011 at 6:23 PM
    I Liquid I

I Liquid I Well-Known Member

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    06 BSP DCLB, 17 Inferno TRD Offroad DCSB, 06 SW ACLB
    Too many mods to list
    His sig...

but its mildly funny...

so... :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in