1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

my first gun...

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by gupster88, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Sep 2, 2009 at 4:28 PM
    jgguns

jgguns Member

Member:
    Glock 27 in a Crossbreed holster. I carry one all day every day (15 to 18 hours) and I have gotten to the point that I don't even know its back there. I have been toting this arrangement continually for over 5 years.

2. Sep 2, 2009 at 4:30 PM
    jgguns

jgguns Member

Member:
    I have a 1991 Glock 22 that has had over 25000 rounds shot through it and everyone has been some type of handload that was manufactured by me on a Dillon 550 press.

3. Sep 2, 2009 at 5:38 PM
    AVTOMAT

AVTOMAT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Behind you
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DBL Cab Super White
    De-badge.Pro Comp 7089.White front emblem.AFE pro dry air filter.Full Wet Okole covers.The rest in progress pending research
    AH , again the unknowing person.I am not trying to push Glock for everyone..... but I promise you if you put the XD and the Glock in front of an Engineer from MIT there will be pros and cons , in the end the Glock will be "precisely" engineered and the XD simply "over" engineered.

1.Please can anyone tell me how the XD safeties make it inherently more safe than the Glock?
    2.Anyone explain how the Glock is unsafe?
    3.Without looking around on the internet , does anyone know the origin of the XD?
    4.Did the OPer ever get a gun? If so what?Hope you got a .40 ,it is a great caliber.
    5.To Colton , how is it not cracked up IYO?

NO , the XD DOESN'T HAVE THE SAME GRIP AS THE 1911.That is incorrect

4. Sep 2, 2009 at 6:36 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Ok, I'll bite. But first let me say that Glock is a really good semiauto pistol. It was way ahead of it's time. Now everyone seems to make a copy because it's a great design. That being said, one certain Croatian company inspired by the Glock (mostly), Sig and 1911, made a better(my opinion and many others) semiauto pistol. So you call the XD 'over-engineered'; I call it an improvement.

1. For one, I can tell without peeking, under duress, if I have one in the chamber. The grip safety insures that It'll never fire without it engaged; so holstering and worrying about a shirt tale or whatever catching the trigger is a non-issue. I won't mention the steel vs. plastic trigger...

2. I don't think Glocks are unsafe persay but there are issues with the barrel and unsupporte chamber.

3. Croatia.

4. XDs do have the same grip angle as 1911s. That's why most 1911 shooters seem to prefer the feel of an XD over a Glock. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Sep 2, 2009 at 7:53 PM
    dwzild

dwzild Well-Known Member

Member:
    Metairie, LA
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM 4x4 Sport DC LB
    Hoo-rah! Sticker, Front Bed-bolt D-rings, Bed Mat, Weathertech Floor Mats, Sirius, TACOMAWORLD Sticker, Bak-Flip F1
    ^^ BAM!!!
    I have an XD .40 and my bud has an XD 9. Two great guns. Glocks are great pistols as well, but they currently sell more on reputation and time of existence than quality, comfort or features. I have shot both guns as well as S&W and Berretta's (different category). The XD feels much better than the others. The is not as wide or "bulky" as the Glock. It's a simple point and shoot weapon. And I feel safer shooting with my wife and non-experienced shooters b/c I know at all times wether or not there is a round in the chamber.

6. Sep 2, 2009 at 9:24 PM
    AVTOMAT

Member:
    Behind you
    Vehicle:
    De-badge.Pro Comp 7089.White front emblem.AFE pro dry air filter.Full Wet Okole covers.The rest in progress pending research

Well you bit...your in my live well and you ARE my dinner now.

1.WHEN you re-holster what condition is the passive grip safety in? Answer is ENGAGED , otherwise you are holding the pistol in a sloppy manner for retention.Along with that RE-HOLSTER is on the bottom of the list of things to do when "it" hits the fan.On that know what/where your gun is going , if you don't you have problems.
    2.The chamber , NEVER have seen an issue with a Glock except for reloads.The way I see it i will expand no further on that.IT IS NOT A SAFETY ISSUE!If it was would it be so accepted in the commercial/LE/military world...NO!
    3.NEVER EVER TRUST a "loaded chamber indicator".They fail.Think about this , you all do it.That round that you chamber/de-chamber all the time and continue to carry...what if a portion of the extractor groove is damaged? Next time you chamber that round that damaged area is under where the XD LCI is....you think its not loaded , ACCIDENT.Your rebuttle , well thats not a safe mindset/practice , NIETHER IS TRUSTING A LCI!Know the condition of your firearm , make sure it is in that condition as you leave your house/location and practice that way.If you don't YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS.Plus most MFGs now have a dumbass indicator on it , Glock even has one now on the extractor , they have since 2003.
    4.Sorry man I know this hurts but you are wrong , no more debate , visual proof.....guess my problem is people stating facts when they are not accurate....media...self proclaimed experts....loud mouths at the bar....I in know way claim to be an expert in anything , especially guns and Tacomas.I came here to gain info on Tacomas , figure I would try to give back on one of the things I knew some thing about , guns , but maybe I shouldn't , maybe I am just a prick.....anyway here is your pics.
    5.Look at the strength to weight ratio on current plastics vs steel , then show me a broken Glock tirgger that WASN'T broken without being abused with the intent to break it.Hell I will send you a trigger and see what you can do it.Leave this one out , your old school "wood and steel", time of Moses argument holds no water , otherwise your TACOMA WOULD HAVE NO PLASTIC ON THE OUTSIDE.

xd-1911-hipower 001.jpg
    xd-1911-hipower 002.jpg
    xd-1911-hipower 003.jpg
    xd-1911-hipower 004.jpg
    xd-1911-hipower 005.jpg

7. Sep 2, 2009 at 9:28 PM
    AVTOMAT

Member:
    Behind you
    Vehicle:
    The rest

xd-1911-hipower 006.jpg
    xd-1911-hipower 007.jpg
    xd-1911-hipower 008.jpg
    xd-1911-hipower 009.jpg

8. Sep 2, 2009 at 9:44 PM
    AVTOMAT

Member:
    Behind you
    Vehicle:
    The above picks should a 1911/1911-a1/Browning Hi power over an XD.The guns were set directly over each other where the triggers "matched" , to show the relationship of the trigger finger versus where your hand sits on the grip.PLEASE NOT 1911/1911-a1 are very similar but not the "same" as you claim.To make that claim all guns are the "same" is proof you are not educated in this topic.The XD most closely resembles the HI-POWER , as these pictures prove.It is also very close to a Sig Sauer P226 , but not the "same"

Yes IM METALS in croatia , the HS2000 , a sales failure in USA(1999)... untill they were sold below distributor cost in 2000.....2001 the HS disappears.6 months later, Springfield has a NEW GUN!With the U.S.A. or ULTRA SAFETY ASSURANCE TRIGGER! Convincing 1911 koolaid drinkers it was now OK to own a toy/plastic gun.The deceptive marketing of this company , claiming "oldest name in USA firearms" , when all the did was bought the name when the started up in the 80's.THE LIES about the Polytech M1As and their "new" Garands from a few years ago......maddening actually.Why don't one of you call and try to get a straight answer about the availlibilty of the 1911s coming out of Brazil....you will get 7 different answers from 5 different people!LMAO.OH , and Yeah HS2000 300.00$ , Springfield's "BRAND NEW" XD....450.00.What a deal.

Over engineering is not the best policy.If it was your Tacoma would be 800 pounds plus heavier and a lot larger than it is.OVER engineering takes place when precise ENG is either not possible due to lack of skill or materials...or lack of desire....or patents.In the XDvsGlock case it is Patent issues....the best one came first.So the XD got the best materials/best ENG the could have without infringement , but the pistol still falls just a few millimeters short of ....perfection , GLOCK didn't.

9. Sep 2, 2009 at 9:59 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    The XD has a slight backstrap...so? It's still the same angle. As for the rest, well, if you feel you have the better product then I'm very happy for you. I'll stick to my XDs.:D

10. Sep 2, 2009 at 10:03 PM
    AVTOMAT

Member:
    Behind you
    Vehicle:
    My bad you are right.

11. Sep 2, 2009 at 10:30 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Alright let's take it from the top.

1. Point FAIL. You don't need a full grip to holster a weapon. To draw, yes but not to holster. Point FAIL.
    2. Point FAIL. XDs don't have any major isuue with ANY ammo, EVEN RELOADS. Point FAIL.
    3. Point FAIL. You are obviously not familiar with the XDs. The loaded chamber indicator is fail proof. If you see one up close, you'll see why. Point FAIL.
    4. You have no point FAIL. Sorry, you are wrong so far and you do seem to be a prick. You have no point FAIL.
    5. I'll concede this point.
    6. I still think you're a dick though.
    7. Point FAIL. XDs do have the same grip angle as a 1911. Obviously it's not the EXACT same grip but the angle is the same. Only a punk that wants to argue would point out semantics like back strapping. Point FAIL.
    8. OWNED BITCH! [​IMG][​IMG]

Since you've made this discussion distasteful, and facts are wasted on you, I'll bid this thread goodbye. [​IMG]

12. Sep 2, 2009 at 10:32 PM
    dw77x

dw77x Those are not my pants

Member:
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Sport LB
    5100's all 4 corners (front at 2.5"), rear tsb springs with 1.5" AAL, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's
    As admitted before I am quite the Glock fanboy. That being said I have for sometime been considering buying one of those XD's. This thread has fueled my curiosity and I may be getting one even sooner now. From what I know they are both fantastic pistols that would preform flawlessly should they ever be "needed", although we all hope that never happens.

Honestly I have not read every post in this thread, I hope the OP got what will work best for him! Happy Shooting!! :D

13. Sep 2, 2009 at 11:04 PM
    AVTOMAT

Member:
    Behind you
    Vehicle:
    Lmao.Still LMAO.Was gonna let it rest.

I will not bother addressing any of your points.I will just say , obviously I am familiar with the subject.I have dated pictures to prove my point .I took these pics.Of the error of your statement , "xds and 1911s share the same grip angle" , I think I proved my point.The rest off your pts , weren't really the point.The point was something you stated as fact was wrong.I did that in the pics.The rest is nothing but a protracted pissing contest you can play by yourself.Good luck! I think you will still lose that.

You, FAIL.

14. Sep 2, 2009 at 11:10 PM
    AVTOMAT

Member:
    Behind you
    Vehicle:
    PackerfanDXs post edited to prove a point to a person who understands the lack of understanding he has of the topic.

7. Point FAIL. XDs do have the same grip angle as a 1911. Obviously it's not the EXACT same grip but the angle is the same. Only a punk that wants to argue would point out semantics like back strapping. Point FAIL.

And that was funny.Added positive to your reputation buddy.Seriously I did.Its the only time I have done it , last time I will to.You are special.LMAO.

15. Sep 3, 2009 at 3:42 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
  16. Sep 3, 2009 at 8:45 AM
    drew02a

drew02a Rocking your mom's world Since 1997

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 Regular Cab 2.7L 4x4
    I too am outa hea

17. Sep 9, 2009 at 10:39 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    I'm back because a certain idiot won't let it rest. Not the same grip angle as a 1911 huh? Loser. [​IMG]

http://ozarkarmory.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30&Itemid=62

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/cs/Satellite/IMO_GA/Story_C/Springfield+Armory+XD+Series

http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory01.php

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_6_53/ai_n27227047/

http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www.Pete-357.com/xddasa.htm

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/general-handgun/32122-taurus-24-7-pro-40-a.html

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/cs/Satellite/IMO_GA/Story_C/Action+Profile+Inside+The+XD

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/st_raisedm_200809/

18. Sep 9, 2009 at 10:51 PM
    ajviper7

ajviper7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    08 silver TRD OR 4x4 AC
    Damn, you've proved your point. :thumbsup:

19. Sep 9, 2009 at 10:54 PM
    gupster88

gupster88 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey Off Road
    Stock
    and yet i still haven't picked out a gun :)

20. Sep 9, 2009 at 11:00 PM
    dw77x

dw77x Those are not my pants

Member:
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Sport LB
    5100's all 4 corners (front at 2.5"), rear tsb springs with 1.5" AAL, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's
    shame shame :D you better get on that, I think you have all the info you need. Everyday is a good day to buy a new gun!

(btw buy a glock. . . sorry I had to:rolleyes:)

Products Discussed in

To Top