1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Front End Growling/Noise Experience.....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ETaco23, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Dec 31, 2010 at 8:41 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 [OP] Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    yes, but I have the Extended 100K mile warrenty. And its covered. I just gotta wait to hear from them monday. They could say no on the new diff. bc I lifted it. But in the letter they sent, it states I have a diff. drop to correct my cv angles. so hopefully they say yes on the new diff.
    Knock On Wood!!!!

2. Jan 4, 2011 at 3:57 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    Truck is at the dealer right now getting disassembled to they can get the ok from toyota to do the work, for some reason they wantd a adjuster to see the damaged bearing or whatever.... Sooo Gay!
    They better fix my truck!

But in the mean time they gave me a brand new Venza to drive. This car is BA! Im freakin loven it! :)

3. Jan 5, 2011 at 1:57 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Toyota has Finally called me back and said they got ok to replace my diff. So happy!
    Cant wait to get it back, but I am going to miss this Venza. Its a tight car!

4. Jan 5, 2011 at 1:58 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    I hate you...

5. Jan 5, 2011 at 2:08 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    lol... Why?

6. Jan 5, 2011 at 2:09 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Cause they're fixing yours with a lift.

They told me to get stuffed. :p

7. Jan 5, 2011 at 2:25 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    That sucks! Well the Techs here realize that the damage wasnt done by the lift. So I geuss I just got lucky. :)

Maybe try a different dealer.....

8. Jan 8, 2011 at 5:32 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    if all they do is put in a new diff, how do you know that the noise will just not return?

I have this noise too and it sucks, but I think its something else. Seems to come and go and more so in the winter.

9. Jan 8, 2011 at 8:16 AM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    I'm surprised they are honoring it with a lift installed. But that's great for you! Which bearing is it that fails? I've got a similar vibe/noise in my old 4 runner that I haven't pinned down yet but it's coming from the front and I've already done both front wheel bearings, axleshafts, and all the U-Joints and the pinion bearing are all tight. Noise seems to change a little in 4WD but it's still there.

10. Jan 8, 2011 at 8:45 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    You don't. That's part of the frustration. I know at least one person that had theirs replaced twice, but the third one is working out okay. With me, my second one is already noisy after 6 months. They'll be replacing it for free since new toyota parts have a 1 year warranty (unlimited mileage).

The primary thread on this issue is here (begin reading on the page the link is set to):
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...k-found-questions-about-front-diff-now-3.html

BTW, the first person that got this diagnosed years ago over on TN had a lift at the time that they agreed to replace it. Also, dealerships are selling the trucks with lifts, so why wouldn't they cover it?

11. Jan 8, 2011 at 10:25 AM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    ^^^Exactly

I made sure that the dealer I went to sells the Tacoma or ready lifted. That way they wouldnt pin the problem on the lift.

12. Jan 9, 2011 at 5:18 PM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    If they deny you warranty, theres a thread titled "Front end clunk...Found" do a search and theres a writeup in the thread about how to change the needle bearing that fails without removing the diff...

13. Jan 9, 2011 at 5:25 PM
    05Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    That would be the link I have in post #30 above.

14. Jan 10, 2011 at 3:14 PM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    Sorry, missed it...Just tryin to help out :)

15. Jan 15, 2011 at 8:02 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Well the dealer has put my diff back together, they only changed out some parts. (not sure what).
    But they said after test driving it, it still had the issue. So they will order the part they think is bad. I asked them why dont they just replace the entire front diff.? like what I want!
    She said its just a warrenty issue, and they dont want to spend the 2-3k for a diff. if they can just swap out a part for cheaper. But now its costing them about 2-3k bc they have to order more parts...AURG!!!!
    this is soo gay! I dont know when I will get my truck back!

Do you guys think I should just call Toyota and try to get them to replace my diff, or not even bother, and just wait and see if its fixed after they replace some more parts? I think there replacing the spider gears now.

16. Jan 15, 2011 at 8:08 PM
    05Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    Sorry to hear about that Evan. It does surprise me as no one has been able to get a single dealership to rip it apart to replace the bearings under warranty. They say that for warranty work, they order and replace the whole thing. I think all the others are just afraid to tear them apart, whereas yours must have someone confident (or stubborn?) working for them.

17. Jan 15, 2011 at 8:14 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I know what you mean. Even the Tech working on my truck is pissed about it. He would rather replace the entire diff also, but toyota wants to just replace the bad parts. Its freakin gay! Now I have to worry about the diff. leaking from being taking apart soo many times..... :(

18. Jan 15, 2011 at 9:01 PM
    Trauma85

Trauma85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra
    Ive fixed 3 or 4 of these kinds of noises in the 05+ tacoma's... Every time its been a bad pinion bearing. As a result there was visable damage on the ring gear/pinion, and toyota replaced the diff. every time. I can imagin if there was no damage to either of those or the spider gears that they will not replace anything other than the bearings.

For those of you who blame the dealership for not wanting to "pay for your warrenty" The dealerships DO NOT PAY FOR WARRENTY.. THEY GET PAID FOR IT. So if they wont do something under warrenty, its not bad....

19. Jan 15, 2011 at 9:30 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    I will call them on Teusday and try to get them to replace the entire diff.
    Or I will call toyota and cumplain and hope they will give me a new diff.

But this replacing parts crap is retarded! My truck wouldve been done last week if they just replaced the diff. Instead its been almost 3 weeks. :eek:

20. Jan 15, 2011 at 11:45 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Im ganna try to just get a new diff. I will be talking to them on Tuesday.

Products Discussed in

To Top