1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Front End Growling/Noise Experience.....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ETaco23, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Jan 16, 2011 at 10:02 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    Good call (no pun intended:D). Bring up the fact that you've been without it for 3 weeks and that it's been taken apart so many times, you're wondering if any other damage could have been done opening it up over and over with the possibility of contaminants getting in there or who knows what else has been done to it. Point out that even the tech thought the whole thing should be replaced. That should get some good action.

2. Jan 16, 2011 at 10:58 AM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 [OP] Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    thanks for the tips! :)

3. Jan 18, 2011 at 9:11 AM
    Outlaw

Outlaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470
    Water Pump, Timing Belt, Sparkplugs, Plastidip Grill emblem
    Any luck on your diff fix?
    I got denied because of lift.
    Those that had their diff fixed under warranty, can you list the Dealership that fixed it?

4. Jan 18, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    Still waiting for there call.... They should be calling me today with an update. But I think my truck should be back together either Tomarrow or Thursday.
    But If its still not fixed Im ganna damand a New front diff.
    They've had my truck for more then 2 weeks replacing parts. Which is bull! they couldve replaced the entire diff a week ago and it wouldve cost less money and time. :(

I Hate this crap!

5. Jan 21, 2011 at 7:21 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Got my truck back today! Finally!!! But also got some bad news.
    The problem still isnt fixed. The pretty much rebuilt my entire front diff. and now theyre ganna open a case with toyota, and see what they want to try next. But the Tech said the next he would try is the wheel bearing. So I should be getting a call next week sometime. This really sucks! :(
    Oh, and the Tech lost my keys, which is fine bc I got a new set. And the idiot got grease on my pass. seat! I will try to get it out tomorrow.

6. Jan 22, 2011 at 5:59 PM
    05Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    It's the never-ending story. Dang!

I've also gotten grease on my seat before. If you have to get something, get Tuff Stuff (used it for years). It always takes it out without any problems and no discoloring. Was in the dealership recently and saw they're now selling it in the parts dept too.

7. Jan 22, 2011 at 6:18 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    thanks man! I will try and get it.
    I just tryed some stuff we had around the house but not sure if it did anything.
    I cant believe replacing the bearing didnt cure it, Im thinking the CV axle might be bad also, but whatever. If they are willing to try and figure it out, then im happy! as long as it gets fixed. :)

8. Jan 22, 2011 at 6:48 PM
    AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i had the same problems, replaced my drivers side wheel bearing and its gone completely

9. Jan 23, 2011 at 2:49 AM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Well, I hope it is just my wheel bearing. But it doesnt make sense why it would go away in 4wd....

10. Jan 23, 2011 at 8:29 AM
    05Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    Did they ever replace the CV axle?

11. Jan 23, 2011 at 12:34 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Nope. Net yet atleast. They said that the next thing they will try is my wheel bearings. If toyota excepts the claim and they go ahead with trying to fix the problem.

12. Jan 24, 2011 at 2:26 PM
    arizonataco

arizonataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix Arizona
    Firestone Airbags ARE Camper Shell
    I have the

EXACT SAME PROBLEM

They say its the left wheel bearing.....................we will see

its at the dealership as we speak.

13. Jan 27, 2011 at 7:26 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    I just got the Call from my dealer today, and there ganna try a few more things to try and fix the problem. I take it in on Teusday mornin.. Cant wait!

14. Jan 31, 2011 at 1:10 AM
    arizonataco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix Arizona
    Well, it got fixed and they were not happy or quick about the repair.
    The Toyota mastur-bater I mean Master-Mechanic INSISTED
    it was a wheel bearing problem. No about of telling them over and over why the wheel bearing magically fixes itself when I put it in 4WD,could convince him differently.So after installing a new front left wheel bearing with no avail and 5 days in the shop. They finally put in the new Front diff. All noises are gone. I did NOT get a (you were right) or (we learned something) from them either. I did not have to pay for the wheel bearing that was 400.00 or the front diff.I guess I cant have everything.

I'm going out on a thin limb here but I really suspect that allot of Tacoma trucks have this problem which is the left output bearing on the front Diff going bad that causes the vibration/noise that goes away when put in 4WD. Truck owners are most likely not hearing this problem BECAUSE of AT Tires and Mudders which are MASKING the noise/problem. Also, as stated as soon as you lift the truck which I did with Billstein 5100's at 1.75" the noise appeared IMMEDIATELY. Front end alignment did not help either.

Well,next month I'm going in because I have a rear noise coming from the rear Diff upon de-accelerating at 60-70 MPH. Who knows whats that going to be....................A new REAR Diff is in my future..............

Thanks to members out there who give some good info!

15. Jan 31, 2011 at 11:10 AM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    I wish mine was my front diff. bearing. my truck wouldve been fix along time ago! New front diff bearing didnt do anything.
    So there ganna try a wheel bearing and maybe (hopefully) give me a new CV Axle.

16. Jan 31, 2011 at 5:19 PM
    romafern

romafern Hug diz nuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    80918 Let's meet!
    Vehicle:
    Paid for and saving a shit ton of $$$$$
    Thinking of adding a second battery...
    arizona, do you think the noise will comeback if you lift your trk again? Seems like getting a new axle is only buying you trouble free time until it starts doing it again.

And now you have to go back for the rear? This is crazy. Are you wheeling it hard?

17. Feb 1, 2011 at 9:43 PM
    arizonataco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix Arizona
    I hope you get it fixed.Im just a backyard mechanic.All of my knowledge about the front noise/vibration I found on the net.This is a somewhat common problem from what Im reading.

Good Luck

18. Feb 1, 2011 at 10:15 PM
    arizonataco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix Arizona

LOL!! Wheeling hard? Thats so funny.My brother is 55 I'm (47) He bought the truck new and drove it like an old man(no offense please) put it in 4WD like 3 times.Not a scratch on the thing.I bought it from him 8 months ago at 36K and have been on pavement since.

I came down with cancer 1 week later and just finished 6 months of Chemo Jan 3rd. Praise God Im cured! I drove it the desert one time about for 20 miles after I lifted it with the Billsteins at 1,75" Put rear airbags in the rear.I'm leaving the lift in BUT I will put in a Diff drop(just got it today infact) Even though many suggest that it might be an in pediment with the lower diff as damage is possible while off roading I'm STILL going to put it on because I experimented with lowering the Diff before I had it fixed and the noise and vibration went down 60-70% less.
    I could not find the correct hardness of Bolts and Spacers at my hardware store so the ( homemade Diff Drop Kit I used ) was only left on about a week.I will now put on the proper kit I purchased.

I firmly believe that the CV angles are made less with the drop and in the long run you will save money down the road. If you wheel hard.Build a custom THICKER skid plate to offset the rock damage to the bottom of the diff.

As my dad told me: First model years of vehicles will ALWAYS have issues with them.Subsequent models years will have less as they work out the bugs. (KIND OF LIKE A BETA SOFTWARE RELEASE)

My truck is a 2005 first model year.
    Why did I not heid my fathers advice?
    Well,my brother was going to let the truck go back to the bank because of finaces and I figured Id roll the dice.

I still have a great truck because of the price and condition I got it for but mostly I helped my brother out.

The new rear diff will most likely be from the ring set in the gears not being tempered or set correctly.Its still under warrenty and I have to be patient.

I hope my input has helped and will get you thinking........

Mike

19. Feb 2, 2011 at 7:08 AM
    05Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    You know, I already knew the risks with a first-year model. But I wanted the newer, larger truck compared to the '04. And I haven't had any "first-year model" issues. Any issues I experienced are still being experienced by people buying the trucks new even today (and I've had far less problems than people with the newer trucks: radio issues is an example). It seems Toyota doesn't fix their problems, they just issue TSBs and leave 'em until the next Gen. So don't kick yourself for getting an '05. In many ways, the '05 seems to be built stronger than the newer years.

20. Feb 2, 2011 at 6:15 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Well my dealer called today, and said there ganna order another bearing for the front diff. And see if that fixes it.
    The part wont be hear until friday, and then my truck wont be ready until next week teusday/wed.
    Im soo pissed! this is getting rediculious! they've taken my front diff apart 3 times or ready. :(
    If this doesnt fix the issue, I think Im just ganna sell my Truck!!!

I wish they would change my wheel bearing and CV axle first. Bc I know that its one of those!

Products Discussed in

To Top