1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MY FRONT SUSP BROKE...BIG TIME!!! PICS

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by nelson18matt, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Oct 4, 2010 at 9:13 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Well just like a racing program or any type of experimental deal - you will find out what the schedule is. The other point that I would look at is working on limiting the impact on the components with bump stops, bypass shocks, limit straps, etc.

One other point is the issue of scratches and scrapes on components - failures are at 'stress risers' - caused by things like scrapes, rough surface finishes (look at an aircraft landing gear or connecting rods on a race engine - most critical areas are usually a 64 finish or smoother.

2. Oct 4, 2010 at 9:14 PM
    eight3one_offroad

eight3one_offroad Honey your two French Fries short of a Happy Meal.

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Santa Cruz, California
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4 with a few things.
    Optima Red Top 34R, OME 885 / N140S + 5100 rear, TSB leaf pack, Camburg Ball Joint UCA, Wheelers Diff drop, AEM Brute Force Intake with filter wrap, Summit Super Turbo muffler, Llumar 5% tint, Pioneer single din head unit, PIAA 510 Ion Crystal Fogs in stock location, Sonar LED tails. Sway Bar removal. Charcoal filter delete. Stant 11509 Locking Gas Cap.
    It's one of those days where your so excited and bolt everything up and take it out for a spin, only not to make it back home. The truck could have been worse but you were having some good luck there in the Parking lot instead of the Freeway. Anyways hope it comes out stronger when you get it back

- Rich

3. Oct 4, 2010 at 9:16 PM
    TacomaDan

TacomaDan Don't go off ninjin

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Woodland, CA
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma Fully Not Loaded
    Love, Cobra 29 LTD BT CB w/ A2000 Highgear antenna, FOX/Fabtech Coilovers, Magnaflow

I dont know what that is... But yes. I agree. Although I dont see how a bump stop will prevent stress on those exact bolts that broke. Either way those bolts were gonna go or not. The wheel holds pressure upwards against those bolts and a bumpstop puts pressure downward on the LCA which is pulling against those bolts. But yes. They do need to be checked on a regular basis.

4. Oct 4, 2010 at 9:24 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    64 finish - A relative measure of surface roughness - picture the difference of a rough sand casting and a polished ball bearing. The less roughness, the less of a chance of one of those 'valleys' propagating into a crack. Think of if you put a notch in a strip of paper and pulled it on both ends. The notch (thinist point) would end up ripping.

Bump stops minimize the jolting of the components. In simple terms - vibration kills. In other terms, it is like having boxing gloves on verses being hit with someone's bare fists.

5. Oct 4, 2010 at 9:28 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    Holy crap:eek:

6. Oct 4, 2010 at 9:31 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    I think the 1st gen MC was a curse... First EverTaco now you... thank god my trucks way too wimpy to be in the top 10

7. Oct 4, 2010 at 11:09 PM
    sachou

sachou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Richland, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport Acc Cab 4x4 V6 6spd
    Those bolts are a bitch. When I was replacing my cv axles last summer, I had to use a giant breaker bar to get those 4 bolts off, and in hindsight I should have PB Blasted them beforehand because they were on there so tight that when I got them off it stripped the threads on the suspension component, which, by the way, 2 of the 4 are only threaded on such a freaking tiny depth...like 7mm deep. Toyota should have just made the metal beefier.

Anyways, I stripped the deeper 2 holes, but figured out that they were only threaded for about 10mm of the depth of the hole, so I took a tap and tapped it all the way to its 20mm depth (twice as much thread!), and used some high grade bolts.

It really freaked me out how those 4 bolts are the weakest point in the whole suspension...and you can have beefy-ass control arms, but it won't matter because those 4 bolts will be the first to fail.

Anyways, I recommend anybody doing anything to your front suspension tap out those 2 holes and put some longer heavy duty bolts in there.

8. Oct 5, 2010 at 5:13 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    added some new pics to first post

9. Oct 5, 2010 at 5:21 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Not to be too geeky but at first glance seems like a great answer... as long as it doesn't weaken the other part! ;) Time will tell! Like I said, you guys running, jumping and walking with Long Travel are pioneers!!! My hat's off to you!!:)

10. Oct 5, 2010 at 8:11 PM
    nelson18matt

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    here are the 2 bolts that were on the ground

[​IMG]

11. Oct 5, 2010 at 9:22 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
  12. Oct 5, 2010 at 9:26 PM
    01tacoprerunner

01tacoprerunner 01 4WD Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD Prerunner
    It looks like they could beef up the connection point between the spindal and the ball joint there, it looks really weak considering it is 2 small pieces of metal holding it together right there, just those 2 tiny ears on the spindals. Weird, seems like they woud make those bigger on an aftermarket spindal.

13. Oct 5, 2010 at 9:42 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Those are probably forged pieces that have proven themselves - you would break a bolt or a ball joint before that would fail.

14. Oct 5, 2010 at 10:02 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
  15. Oct 5, 2010 at 10:11 PM
    sachou

sachou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Richland, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport Acc Cab 4x4 V6 6spd
    Yeah I see your point - scraping metal out of a system will usually weaken it...but I'm not talking about drilling anything at all. The holes are there and they're really deep, but in stock form they're only threaded half of the way.

I stripped the stock portion of the thread, but tapped the rest of the portion and put longer bolts in, effectively keeping the amount of thread in use the same. If you didn't strip yours, it would double the used thread length.

I'm only talking about the 2 bolts closest to the wheel. The 2 holes closest to the engine are tiny as hell and drilled all the way and there's nothing you can do about it.

Wow. The bolts just straight up broke. Does it look like a shear failure, or just being like pulled apart (tensile?) failure?

Either way, I'm replacing my bolts with the highest grade crap before i go wheeling again.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I feel your pain seeing your truck limping like that...when I was working on the cvs on that exact side and trying to fix my bolt problem, the damn thing fell on me. Luckily I didn't have the rotor on and I didn't mess up my brakes. Too bad about your shiny fenders, though.

16. Oct 5, 2010 at 10:16 PM
    zero4

zero4 Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Donahoe CO, Donahoe Rear Resi, Deaver J59, 16" Pro Comp, 33" BFG AT, Hayden Trans Oil Cooler, Oil Filter Relocator, FM 40, ES Bushings, Beefed CB Drop, Deckplate, K&N Drop-In, DO Bed Bar, Cobra 75 WXST, Firestik Firefly, Philips D1R, Clarion Remote Start, Husky Liners
    Holy shit, glad you weren't hurt Matt.

Do you check those bolts often? Do these bolts commonly break like that? When I saw this first thing that came to my mind is that they must have been loose for a while? You did mention you had funny steering issues not too long ago? Maybe this was related?

Can't wait to see your truck out of the shop. That fender probably could be reglassed but it's probably not worth it. Time to get some of them urethane ones. :wink:

17. Oct 6, 2010 at 7:00 AM
    nelson18matt

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    thanks for the link. i'll check the bolt heads later and see what they were

straight shear failure. no warning, at least none that i saw before hand...

thanks will, i wouldn't say i check them often but i do check them. after every wheeling trip i do a look over of the truck just to make sure everything looks in order. never noticed anything... but that doesn't mean the warning signs were there and i just didnt see them. who knows?

i can't wait either, it's gonna be sweet. the truck should be done by then end of next week. i was thinking about those poly fenders, but i heard they wont be available until january or so...

18. Oct 6, 2010 at 8:18 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    And remember a real torque wrench is your friend!

19. Oct 9, 2010 at 6:43 AM
    nelson18matt

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    work has begun...:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Oct 9, 2010 at 6:44 AM