1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My gas pedal recall experience

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Pster, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Sep 9, 2010 at 5:41 AM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    Nightfury .... very good writeup ...... no opinions (with the exception of the replacement mats, which I declined myself) .... just the facts as you know them .... thanks, that SHOULD clear up a lot of discussions.

2. Sep 9, 2010 at 5:50 AM
    Pster

Pster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Thanks for the thoughtful and thorough post NightFury.....I am completely happy with my pedal recall work. "We have nothing to fear, but fear itself".

3. Sep 9, 2010 at 6:39 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    I understand Toyota will replace ECU if it goes bad during flash, but I have doubts how easily ECU would get replaced if some time had passed. Again If somebody still have 3 years warranty on the truck then that's probably enough time to test "new" code. My problem is that code may not be "only" brake override.
    Until the recall, fried ECU was a rare occurrence. Suddenly occurrences spike up.
    Also if it is "only" a brake override why would be affecting supercharger trucks?
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/110349-trd-supercharged-owner-recall-fail-2.html

I call it BS... Its not only brake override, its whole new set off commands for black box logging. Toyota was the only company that did not bow to gov & insurance companies to spy on drivers. I fear this re-flush changes that. Now I am not so much worry about spying I am more worry about overloading ECU to collect much more data in case UA happens.
    With out extra warranty on ECU and troubleshooting this is complete BS. Since now everything is connected to ECU, a bad ECU can cause all kinds of issues and errors. Who is going to pay for troubleshooting ?
    Example: If ECU goes nuts and complains about MAF sensor I doubt dealership will say let me check MAF and then swap ECU to validate. Nope they going to charge you for new MAF, erase the code and send you on its way until few thousand miles the same problem repeats itself.
    Again its complete BS.

4. Sep 9, 2010 at 6:40 AM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Yes...pure CYA on Toyota's part.

Brought on by politics...the media...and political correctness.

Same with tire TPM's...head rests that are too far leaning forward...warnings on McDonald's coffee cups that the liquid inside may be hot...etc...

I don't know about the rest of y'all...but I despise my life being controlled by big government...corporations...and the media.

As if no one ever had a floor mat get caught up in a gas pedal 20-30-40 years ago. And no one ever spilled hot coffee on themselves in the past either.

If you are too stupid to avoid the floor mat from interfering with the gas pedal you deserve some Darwin. Same goes for hot coffee and tire pressure.

It's a slippery slope my friends. Personal responsibility and accountability is rapidly being replaced by an ever controlling nanny state big government. And the politicians and their big corporate partners fukin love it! Divide the folks into groups of government educated zombies and feed them what they think they need in exchange for votes and power.

How many of you think the 1963 Corvette Coupe with that split rear window is cool?

Well, Ralph Nader...a political activist and a loon, made big hay of it and through the media and political correctness (yes it existed even back then, but in smaller doses) had GM remove the split window for the 1964 model year. Even then the corporations were in bed with the politicians.

That split was part of the design element...the shark's back (spine) that Zora Duntov envisioned with the 1st Mako Shark...but he was overruled by the GM corporate zombies. And it ruined the lines of the car...and it made the '63 more valuable, because people want the real "shark" look...then and now.

That split window pales in comparison to the blind spots in many of today's cars. Matter of fact...the new C6 Vette coupe has a curvature to the rear glass, that in some lighting can make it almost impossible to see out of...

Then there is the glare from the Tacoma hood scoop. I effin' GAURENTEE...if some douche gets in an accident in a Tacoma, and his douche lawyer can convince a judge that it was because of the hood scoop glare...you will NEVER see another Toyota with a factory hood scoop again.

Slippery slope....

We are screwed.

5. Sep 9, 2010 at 6:44 AM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    PLace blame where it is due: Product and Plaintiff Liability Attorneys and the Liberal Democrats who whore themselves out to them.

6. Sep 9, 2010 at 6:47 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I blame people acting like a sheep. :D

7. Sep 9, 2010 at 6:49 AM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Sheep are lost without Shepherds.......the latter being lawyers, or God (you can choose). It's not people being Sheep that is the issue.....we are all Sheep in His eyes, it is being GREEDY SHEEP.

8. Sep 9, 2010 at 7:05 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Another thing is that this cases that had some wierd UA with out floor mat involved happened on cars known to have much more ECU control (more code).
    Maybe the problem is that ECU simply hangs with throttle opened. If that happens no brake override or shifting to neutral will help. The only solution would be to turn off the ignition and cut power to ECU. That would explain why state trooper could not stop Lexus. The only thing he would not do is cut power in fear of loosing power steering and brakes.
    Notice on recall notice there is nowhere that Toyota says this recall will prevent UA. It supposed only minimize possibility. Tacoma trucks where the only Toyota vehicles coming with simpler ECU.
    This is now changing as sheep has demanded more traction control, stability control etc. What happen to good ole driving skills.:rolleyes:
    Sheep wants car manufactures to fix stupid.

9. Sep 9, 2010 at 3:36 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    What do you expect from the sheep who are raised in government schools...have parents (2 if they are lucky) who have little or no parenting skills...and drink the kool-aide that the corporations and politicians dole out like liquid heroin in a drink bottle to mice.

10. Sep 9, 2010 at 3:38 PM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Nuke 'em :D

11. Sep 10, 2010 at 7:14 AM
    cinch

cinch Member Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Boulder Creek Ca
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner double cab
    I read an article that said after investigation, the state trooper had TWO sets of floormats, one on top of the other and the top one wedged up against the gas pedal. causing the problem.

12. Sep 10, 2010 at 9:44 AM
    Nightfury

Nightfury Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Factory running boards, Toyota (DeeZee built) toolbox, Code Alarm 5152 remote starter, Bronze TRD rims, more to come....
    The trooper was a 19 year old police academy graduate who was in a loaner car, Lexus ES, that had floor mats from a Lexus RX put in on the drivers side, upside down. When the vehicle was checked after the wreck, the floor mat was found melted to the gas pedal, still upside down. It was obvious was caused the issue, but what 19 year old would know how to handle a situation like that? I blame the dealership for allowing that poor kid to get the car like that.

Also, the NHSTA released a study that in all the UA cases brought against Toyota, not a single driver ever pressed the brake pedal during their incident. This is known because the SRS module (computer that deploys airbags) monitors vehicle speed, which seatbelts are clicked in, occupancy detection, in some cases steering wheel yaw rate, brake application, throttle input, deceleration rate and stores it in the event airbags are deployed. Every car manufacturer uses them, and they all are proprietary software that you need to read the data.

13. Sep 11, 2010 at 4:32 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    You...have...got...to...be...shittin' me. :rolleyes:

I'll tell you what 19 year old would...and should...know how to handle a situation like that...

One who has a motor vehicle operators license...and...One who is a police academy graduate.

Sounds like maybe he wasn't qualified for either.

14. Sep 11, 2010 at 4:54 PM
    2blu4u

2blu4u Human after all

Member:
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Indigo Ink Sport
    TRD exhaust, Pro Comp leveling kit, MB wheels, Yoko Geolander tires, black Grillcraft grill, BHLM, Pop-n-Lock, Access bed cover, Katzkin leather with seat heaters, custom console cover, shorter black billet antenna, Street Performance Throttle Body Spacer, bed mat, and bed extender.
    Sorry it took so long. NightFury explained it the same way I heard from my dealership. From what I understand, your ECU has to relearn your throttle responses which may make it feel 'snappier'. It is a CYA recall and I have had no issues from it. I trust the dealership I go to because, my friend works there; he knows all the master techs that do these recalls are very knowledge and good at what they do for a living.

15. Sep 11, 2010 at 5:17 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    If you are talking about the one in San Diego he was a19 year VETERAN of the CHP not 19 years old.
    And yes it was a loaner Lexus with the wrong mats and the smart key which none of us knew how to turn off until this whole mess hit the fan.
    He still should have had enough survival instinct to put the car into neutral.

16. Sep 11, 2010 at 10:11 PM
    Tinfish

Tinfish Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Reg Cab 4x4 5spd
    I just had mine done. I can't feel the difference while driving. It was kind of stupid (the truck has a manual transmission -- if the throttle stuck I think I could manage to push in the clutch), but didn't do any harm, so why not? Total CYA for Toyota.

17. Sep 13, 2010 at 3:04 PM
    Nightfury

Nightfury Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Factory running boards, Toyota (DeeZee built) toolbox, Code Alarm 5152 remote starter, Bronze TRD rims, more to come....

Whoops, I may have heard wrong, or read the information wrong. My mistake.

I'm not sure if he was in San Diego, but I can't imagine there were too many Lexus loaner vehicles that ran out of control because a floor mat was put in upside down.

18. Sep 13, 2010 at 5:08 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    That was the only infamous incident I remember as being the start to this whole nonsense.

19. Sep 13, 2010 at 6:40 PM
    Derpy Derek

Derpy Derek Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Brookings, OR
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    ARB Bumper, Smittybilt X20, King suspension
    Wow, I bought some digital fit floor mats from weather tech, went to the dealership that I got the truck from and asked if I could get reimbursed for the mats since I didn't have to get the pedal chopped. They gave me a number and I talked to some recall service operators, after 30 minutes of talking, I got $200 credit to spend on Toyota accessories and service parts. It was a win-win situation for me! :D

20. Sep 13, 2010 at 9:07 PM
    ruskastud

ruskastud Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lenexa, KS
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    AVS Hood Shield & In Channel Ventvisors, Console Vault, Disable Seat Belt Chime, WeatherTech DigiFit Floor Liners, Lighted 4x4 Switch, Ultra-Gauge, Rear Spring TSB
    #?

Products Discussed in

To Top