1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My girlfriend is getting a Frontier, makes my Tacoma look bad...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DevL, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Mar 18, 2012 at 10:09 PM
    rdd11

rdd11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Red Deer, AB
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Double Cab long box black
    K&N cold air, Exhaust
    I have driven frontiers and titans for work vehicles and neither was as good as its Toyota counter part. Nissan does make good cars and they should stick to that. Tacoma lasts longer, drives better and a way better resale value. In my opinion the Tacoma is a much looking truck then the frontier.

2. Mar 18, 2012 at 10:18 PM
    rdd11

rdd11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Red Deer, AB
    Vehicle:
    K&N cold air, Exhaust
    I have driven frontiers and titans for work vehicles and neither was as good as its Toyota counter part. Nissan does make good cars and they should stick to that. Tacoma lasts longer, drives better and a way better resale value. In my opinion the Tacoma is a much looking truck then the frontier.

3. Mar 18, 2012 at 10:30 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    I disagree. The nissan titans are pretty sick when they are full LT.

4. Mar 19, 2012 at 3:37 AM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
    uughhhh Toyotas are GARBAGE!!!

5. Mar 19, 2012 at 3:41 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    I saw a frontier (dont think it was the pro4x) but I was kinda liking the track system in the bed. There was a bed extender on the track system and it was sitting pretty flush up against the cab, not taking much room at all.

I usually just take mine out cause it gets in the way more than it is helpful. The nissan approach would make it easier to carry all the time.

6. Mar 19, 2012 at 4:04 AM
    boomer6

boomer6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    disabled DRLs disabled seat belt chime disabled the key in the ignition with door open buzzer Installed Illuminated 4wd switch circuit board Marker lights Flashing with turn signals Toggle switch ABS Disable Fog Lights on AnyTime Mod Changed to Yellow bulbs in the Fog Lights Converted interior lights to leds Installed oem roof rack Installed Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles for the air bags Added oil catch can Relentless Tailgate Protector installed
    If the frontier makes your girlfriend happy then thats the truck for her. If you want the best, Well, You already have it ! Tacoma all the way:)

7. Mar 19, 2012 at 4:15 AM
    HandBanana

HandBanana Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Washington
    I've come from a long family of Nissan owners, and while their older products were pretty sound and reliable, the newer cars and trucks are just junk. My father bought an 08' Versa brand new and the interior is already falling apart, everything is cheap plastic. While the car handles and drives smoothly, it just doesn't seem like a very well put together vehicle.

I test drove a couple frontiers before I bought my taco, and the cheapness translates to the trucks as well. The tacoma was way more comfortable despite not having leather seats, and the drive was much nicer than any of the frontiers I tried out.

That is the reason I went with the Tacoma. Oh that and it looks way nicer too.

8. Mar 19, 2012 at 6:16 AM
    rdd11

rdd11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Red Deer, AB
    Vehicle:
    K&N cold air, Exhaust
    They are a nice truck I would get it over most domestics but totally out classes by the tundra

9. Mar 19, 2012 at 10:11 AM
    wrxRome

wrxRome Houston's Swamp Rat

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Covington, LA/Friendswood,TX
    Vehicle:
    06 SWB 4x4 trd off road
    you're asking this on a TACOMA ENTHUSIAST site, what you expecting to get out of this ?

10. Mar 19, 2012 at 10:19 AM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    Personally if I ever had to buy a Frontier, it would be the 1st gen based on looks. The newer Frontiers look to fancied up for my tastes, especially with the design of the tailgate (huge Nissan logo/plastic trim and the HUGE Frontier text) Not to mention as others have said, the aftermarket support sucks.

So chances are if you do go off-road with a Fronty, your build will look just like everyone else's due to lack of variety in bumpers, lifts, etc. But in the same regards I still like the 2001-04 Tacos versus 2nd gen counterparts.

11. Mar 19, 2012 at 11:07 AM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    I have owned four Nissans, all 2wd. Had zero problems with them, though the highest mileage one had only about 85k miles on it when I traded it off. My impression is that little things tend to go wrong with the older Nissans, things like gauges, etc. All factors considered, I think the value per dollar for each is probably pretty close. For my purposes a new Toyota is probably not cost effective. I wouldn't be driving a Toyota now, but I found a good deal on the one I have. For me looks in totally unimportant. Reliability is paramount. I think Toyota wins here long term.

12. Mar 19, 2012 at 11:12 AM
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Rad
    LAX & LOGAN
    I've looked into a FRONTIER before I purchased the TACOMA. I didn't like the Frontiers that much. I thought they'd make a great 2nd choice but even with them lowering the price OTD by thousands. I decided to go with a TACOMA. I love it and glad I made that choice. My Tacoma is still worth a lot in value today. If I bought a Frontier, I don't think I could say the same.

My GF wanted to buy a new truck as well early 2010. We shopped around and they offered a Double Cab Dark Grey Nissan with everything except the Nismo for just around 20K OTD and she just didn't like it. The same truck was $25 OTD for a TACOMA. She didn't buy either one.

There are things I like about the FRONTIER and that dam 4x4 PRO is sick in the seats! I will give it to them for making the black cloth bucket seats with red accents.

Take note TOYOTA. things like that make a truck and doesn't take much to do. :mad:

I'd buy a USED Frontier and LT that thing if I had the coin. Seen some nasty mean looking LT Frontiers. I actually like the look of the FRONTY when all modded up.

13. Mar 19, 2012 at 11:39 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    This is how they get you to buy an inferior product. They offer more for the same price or less.

14. Mar 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    Yep. And thanks for not calling it plastic. :D

15. Mar 19, 2012 at 2:10 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    That's right b/c the inner composite bed is not plastic it has a high impact strength as steel, i dont believe the metal beds compare to that

16. Mar 19, 2012 at 10:56 PM
    Zimaura

Zimaura Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nj
    San jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 Double Cab. level Kit, 33 inch BFGs
    Level Kit, 16inch Moto Metals, 33 BFGs, Flowmaster, tinted taillights, silver billet grills
    Fronty's ugly design drove me away from then in a heartbeat. Didn't even consider them.

17. Mar 19, 2012 at 11:01 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    Settle it in a race to 250k miles.

18. Mar 19, 2012 at 11:31 PM
    sonocotaco

sonocotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Rohnert Park
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AC 4x4 Super White
    That's what I've been wondering. I like the Tacoma's bed, although they could have made the tie-down rail system a little stronger, couldn't they?

19. Mar 19, 2012 at 11:45 PM
    sonocotaco

sonocotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Rohnert Park
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AC 4x4 Super White
    What am I missing out on by not having this "fully boxed frame"? Towing?

20. Mar 20, 2012 at 12:05 AM
    Broseph Stalin

Broseph Stalin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Santa Barbara
    Vehicle:
    '10 white dbl cab LB trd sport
    15% tint , Bak Flip G2 tonneau cover, poplock WeatherTech mats, FX-R retrofit, BHLM, eyelids, smoke Lamin-X, daystar leveling kit, studded snow tires and a shitload of sand bags
    my housemate has a '05 Frontier, let me go ask him how he likes those fat rust spots he was talking about in his sweet metal bed...

Products Discussed in

To Top