1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My hand at retrofitting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by 4x4Taco09, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Nov 16, 2011 at 11:44 PM
    4x4Taco09

4x4Taco09 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport 4x4 BSP DC LB
    Kings, Deavers, Brute Force, Prinsu, Lights, all the stuff
    Ok well long story short, I pulled them apart :(. I did the best I could at securing them. The drivers side is great again. Passenger side is still out some, but I can live with it for a while

17a742f2_d279cd132380be1d9423a457430fec2083f2b88d.jpg

4b198914_a7201ed992bb8a78a9c123cc6cb4f14ac7074d1f.jpg

Highs (still need to adjust them up some)

0a51ceb3_6c6ce775633132ed7559d8bedfd10ec9a2ef8d88.jpg

c878a750_7f54727acceddafcbc1763ac11b99105237dffac.jpg

I see what you mean now about how I adjusted the steps right on top of each other. Now I adjusted them apart like they're supposed to be at 25'. Still need to go up a little bit. But it's better now. Man I just wished I had them horizontal like I did at first. Wished they would of stayed but o well. Just isn't my luck

2. Nov 17, 2011 at 12:16 AM
    4x4jeep

4x4jeep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Destin FL.
  3. Nov 17, 2011 at 8:21 AM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
  4. Nov 17, 2011 at 8:45 AM
    4x4Taco09

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I know dude. I can't get them to really get tight tight. They're alot tighter now, but I can't get the passenger side to cooperate. I'm gonna fiddle with it this weekend

I know they need to be adjusted up some, and the stupid passenger side grrrrrrr. I sure hope it stays where it is

5. Nov 17, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    MC1983

MC1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB
    Just try and turn the pass side projector a little more. Thats how mine looked when I first installed them. I just took the bulb out and took some pliers and turned them a little bit. You can move the wiper fluid reservoir to give you more clearance. If that doesn't work, you can try and flip the adapter plate if you need more rotation. It doesn't take much rotation for it to look off, especially 25' out.

6. Nov 17, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    This is turning into a very informative thread. To bad it is not a nut that you could just torque down.

What I have gleened so far is that it is best do tighten then up fully on the initial install into the reflector. The best method to do this is to firmly push the projector into the reflector while tightening the lock ring.

The only bad thing is on your first install not knowing how tight is correct and the fear of breakng something.

7. Nov 17, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    4x4Taco09

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    ^exactly. But now I know what to do and how it is all supposed to work.

Best thing to do while the housing is apart install the projector, tighten it up, install on the truck and plug them up. Get the horizontal spot on and get em tight tight. If your confident that won't shift, pull them off, heat them up, install the outer lens (please put a little glue on the shroud or ring to hold it to the projector as well) then you should be good to go

Yea I can pull my headlights quick now! Lol. So I'll just pull it and do it on my table. The first time u go to remove them from the truck (that 4th bolt wasn't a big deal for me) but actually removing them from the little space you have from around the bumper and core support was a task itself. But I got it down now lol. So I'll try to fix that one tonight and I'll be good to

I'm trying to talk my bro into letting me do this to his tundra

8. Nov 17, 2011 at 1:16 PM
    MC1983

MC1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB
    Also, I would try and put that rubber washer on before you tighten up that first ring. I think the rubber washer helps to keep the first lock ring from vibrating loose. On HIDplanet, some people put a little bit of JB Weld on the threads after the lock ring once they get the horizontal rotation perfect. The second ring is only there to hold the bulb in so it only really needs a few threads to grab.

9. Nov 17, 2011 at 4:44 PM
    4x4Taco09

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Yea I know. I need to contact TRS and have them send me some rubber washers. I didn't get any. But if they come loose now I will pull them apart again, pull all of the butyl off and out of the housings, fix the projectors perfectly then seal them. I hope they are sealed good right now. Why don't they make that slit in the threaded part of the projector go all the way through, and make the tooth on that lock ring longer so it won't try to ride along the threads like mine were trying to do

Products Discussed in

To Top