1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My issue or the dealer's issue...Rubbing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AllMountainToy, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Apr 23, 2012 at 10:08 PM
    AllMountainToy

AllMountainToy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab 4X4 TRDOR
    2 3/4 OME Suspension Lift with 885, with trim packer, 1/4" top plate spacer, swaybar relo bracket. Dakar leaf pack with 3rd leaf removed. 285/70/17" BFG AT. XD Wheels with 4.5 BS, Best Top Soft Top, Undercover winch mount with Warn 8k winch (with synthetic line), Pioneer touchscreen double din head unit. 4X innovations welded sliders. roof mounted DVD system.ATO dual battery tray with dual yellow tops. Rugged ridge isolator kit.
    First off, I have to say that my dealership has taken very good care of me and any issues I have had with my 2011 DC OR.

Looking for some opinions (and I know there are a ton out there)....

I purchased my truck new from the dealer. The dealer installed (via 4WPs) a 2.25 pro comp strut top plate spacer (not coil spacer) and had the cab mounts properly cut, fenders trimmed, etc. The issue is I am still getting major rubbing on my driver side front even when driving into "steep" driveways. None on the passenger side. there is no further trimming that can be done since the tire is rubbing against one of the body seems.

The only way to solve the issue is either by getting smaller tires (currently have 285/70R 17s BFG ATs) or increasing my lift (with 5100s or other coilover lift)

My question..Since I bought it from the dealer this way and all the lift components are covered under a 5 year warranty, should the dealer resolve the rubbing issue on their dime? or me on my dime?

Again...I have no complaints with this dealer.

Thanks

2. Apr 24, 2012 at 4:06 AM
    Canazes9

Canazes9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 Dbl Cab TRD Sport / '12 Dbl Cab Offroad
    what wheels are you running?

3. Apr 24, 2012 at 4:14 AM
    Primersinmyshoe

Primersinmyshoe Old Sheepdog

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    gray, shiny, dependable
    Glock 36, spare mag
    I would try the dealer first. If they thought the parts would not have worked, they wouldn't have put them on. Be nice, polite, and see what happens.

4. Apr 24, 2012 at 4:22 AM
    CoTacoTRD

CoTacoTRD He who walk with a Cane

Member:
    First Name:
    Gramps
    Colorado! Where else?
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC 4x4
    A little of this and a little of that.
    Did you buy it new or used? I cannot believe the dealer would do the cab mount chop on a new truck and try to sell it as new.

5. Apr 24, 2012 at 5:28 AM
    spithead051

spithead051 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4x4 OR S/C'ed!
    Supercharger, OME Lift Kit, TRD T/X Pro Wheels, 255/85/R16 BFG MT KM2's, APEX three hoop bumper, Allpro IFS skid, All-Pro Sliders, Dynomax exhaust, aFe Stage 2 si, Oil pressure, oil temperature, boost, A/F ratio gauges, Devil horns, WO seat covers
    I would talk to the dealer. If they installed it, they need to deal with the issues it is having

6. Apr 24, 2012 at 5:44 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tundra, double cab.
    LED interior lights, stubby antenna, Pioneer in dash screen, good driver mod.
    you need to be about .75" taller :D

for 285's you need at least 2.5" of lift

the issue is you bought a truck with a shitty lift. get rid of the pro crap and get either billys with a .5" top plate spacer or some coilovers.

7. Apr 24, 2012 at 5:58 AM
    KPT

KPT sees what you did there.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner
    Katskin leather interior, Satoshi grille, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75, rear leaf TSB, magnaflow exhaust, 18x9 BBS RW's, 275/65/18 Nitto TG's, black headlights, black taillights, Hella Supertones, weathertechs, EFX tri-fold tonneau, n-Fab steps
    Did the dealer tell you those would fit? If they did, make them honor their word. Lose that ball joint damaging top plate spacer and get a 3" lift.

8. Apr 24, 2012 at 1:07 PM
    AllMountainToy

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2 3/4 OME Suspension Lift with 885, with trim packer, 1/4" top plate spacer, swaybar relo bracket. Dakar leaf pack with 3rd leaf removed. 285/70/17" BFG AT. XD Wheels with 4.5 BS, Best Top Soft Top, Undercover winch mount with Warn 8k winch (with synthetic line), Pioneer touchscreen double din head unit. 4X innovations welded sliders. roof mounted DVD system.ATO dual battery tray with dual yellow tops. Rugged ridge isolator kit.
  9. May 2, 2012 at 7:45 PM
    AllMountainToy

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    So Toyota, DSI (dealer services international) and 4WPs took pretty good care of me and the issue. IMO

Today they offered to replace the 2.25 pro comp spacers with the pro-comp 3" suspension lift. Between parts and labor it would have been close to if not over $1000. My out of pocket is only $240.

I understand that the pro comp lift is not top of the line and has been known to ride rough; however, it is better than the spacer lift that doesn't clear the 33s and has broken my fender flare on driver side.

I am hoping that my undercover winch mount and 8k warn will make the front springs ride a bit softer on the road.

10. May 2, 2012 at 7:48 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    goleta/santa barbara, ca
    Vehicle:
    97 5 speed 4x4 v6
    lt
    the pro comp will be better than the spacer

11. May 2, 2012 at 8:07 PM
    AllMountainToy

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Anthony. This is what I am hoping.

I hope to avoid having the ALL put on. Hoping the TSB will make it almost level (with the weight of the winch and mount). I have been hearing so many stories about drive line vibes after blocks and AALs.

Is it safe to assume the pro comp shocks are better than the factory TRD Bilsteins?

12. May 2, 2012 at 9:16 PM
    DATZ WEAKSAUCE

DATZ WEAKSAUCE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor cal
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM TRD SPORT
    im a dealer tech for honda i dont know how toyota works but with honda any aftermarket part installed would be at your risk if it worked or not but hey it doesnt hurt to call them up and see what they can do for you but they might just tell you to run a smaller tire wich dealer do u go to in nor cal?

13. May 3, 2012 at 7:16 AM
    AllMountainToy

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Datz. These components were all installed by the dealer with a 5 year warranty. I showed up on the lot and the truck was on display like that. It is piercey Toyota in milpitas. They are great.

14. May 3, 2012 at 9:52 PM
    DATZ WEAKSAUCE

DATZ WEAKSAUCE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor cal
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM TRD SPORT
    if thats how it came off the lot then they would for shure get it taken care of :thumbsup:

To Top