1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My new hotrod for the dragstrip

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by GoBlueFan, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Jun 28, 2009 at 1:34 PM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.

Those Zuma's make great pit bikes for getting around the track facilities. My buddy has one with a pipe on it.:laugh: Even the pit bikes get mods.:headbang:

2. Jun 28, 2009 at 1:39 PM
    MiikeyD

MiikeyD The Green Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Upland, CA
    Vehicle:
    Green Prerunner DC 2.7L
    Suspension / Wheels / Tires 3.5" Fabtech lift w/ AAL 265/75/16 BFG A/T American Racing Baja Audio Alpine HU CDA-9886 Kicker DS650 Z-Edition 1000W Memphis M3 US Amps 4000W 2.5Farad Cap Lighting 6000K HID 2 Hella 500FF 2 Aux Bed Lights 2 Aux Driving Lights Performance Volant CAI Flomaster Super 44 Doug Thorley Long Tube headers (coming soon) NGK Iridium Sparkplugs Accessories Scanguage II Cobra LTD27-NW with 3' Firestik Radio Shack Triple Trunking Scanner Harbor Freight Hi-Lift Cosmetics Flat Black Bumper Trim Flat Black Grill Surrounding with Satoshi Clear Corners Future Modifications (not specific) Longtravel w/ king shocks or fox Caged bed Shackles rear suspension. Fox / king shocks custom front bumper Custom Glassworks extreme kit for 01-04 (only have hood and passenger side.. need driver panel) Supercharger + 8port intake manifold optima yellow top battery remounted new rims caged interior rear bench removal 4 sparc
    hahah its nice to be on a busa and right behind a zx-14, its nice to see my in the mirrors then smashing right past you lol

3. Jun 28, 2009 at 1:55 PM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.

lol...come on out to the dragstrip...:D

4. Jun 28, 2009 at 2:22 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    It was a fun little toy. I only had if for about 4 months. I was 14 at the time and the popo weren't too fond of it. When I got pulled over the cop had no idea I was underage. He pulled me over because I had the plasitic eye piece from the helmet up. Apparently in the state of Fl you don't need a helmet with the right insurance but you need eye protection, it almost seems backwards.

The only mod I did was the dual headlight mod. It's really popular I'm sure your friend has already done this.

5. Jun 28, 2009 at 3:40 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    lol

6. Jun 28, 2009 at 8:18 PM
    Untamed_SS

Untamed_SS Stayed Up Too Late

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue Access Cab
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    Just thought I would throw a couple pics up.

It was fun. I'll be out there again.

DSC00585_ed63e136d5014ec39f5e658a9c567c7b9ba1aa0d.jpg

DSC00589_cc6ebda79820a9502e5a0044f3c9f9ea222e7244.jpg

DSC00588_9597898cc4157f796efaaff78d90de898ac913c0.jpg

7. Jun 29, 2009 at 7:18 AM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Great to meet you Adam (and Cody). Thanks for coming out to watch and hang out. Sorry there were so few people actually making passes.:(

Was nice to check out your truck as well. Not had a chance to really see what others are doing to their rides in person.

Thanks for video and pics. Hope to see you out there this Friday night. Should be a LOT more action on the track. But then again, it will be a holiday weekend, so who the heck knows.:confused: I'll be there.

8. Jun 29, 2009 at 11:28 AM
    Untamed_SS

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    The sign out front said closed July 4th and 5th. =/

Maybe the following weekend. That will be that little import thingy they passed out flyers for.

9. Jun 29, 2009 at 2:55 PM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner

Here's something off the forums...

Track open Friday July 3 for TNT 7pm-1:00am, closed July 4th & 5th. Too many surrounding tracks with Outlaw races. We are trying to work with our surrounding tracks instead of against them.
    The following weekend July 10th TNT 7-1:00am, July 11th "Outlaws", will not know about Sunday July 12th until we get through this weekend and see how things go.

So I'll be there Friday night.

10. Jun 29, 2009 at 5:04 PM
    Untamed_SS

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    LoL. Well, I guess the website knows what its talking about. :)

Be safe out there. Can't make it to this one, but I'll try the next one.

11. Jul 3, 2009 at 10:52 PM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Turn out tonight at the track was pretty good. About 15 bikes and some pretty quick cars (10.0 type).

Dropped my best et a little more tonight. Ran 9.55 at 146 right off the trailer, couldn't duplicate it the rest of the night.:goingcrazy: But that is why you keep going. To get better, and its fun as hell.

Had one guy wheelie bad and come down hard. Busted his oil pan and he went down. Thankfully it was very early in the run so speed was not an issue. He was fine and the bike will return as well.

12. Jul 3, 2009 at 11:23 PM
    Untamed_SS

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Man, it would have been fun to see that again.

I had a volleyball tournament I had to attend. :D Which was fun.

But we lost. :(

13. Jul 5, 2009 at 5:33 AM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Yo blue,

Just curious if bikes are more built for the strip than cages, How fast or how many miles do you get out of the stock clutch, or do you change them out of the box for that reason?

14. Jul 5, 2009 at 7:18 AM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner

Certain bikes are built better for the abuse the dragstrip puts on a bike. The top two by a LARGE margin are the Suzuki Hayabusa and Kawasaki ZX-14. The next two would be the Suzuki GSXR 1000 and Kawasaki ZX-10r.
    The liter bikes are lighter, but do require a bit more maintenance. They are built down to a much lighter weight and are just not as robust as the two bigger bikes. I considered a liter bike for a long time, but the turn-key reliability of the bigger bikes won out.
    As far as the ZX-14 clutch goes, it's about as stout as they come. No mods, no fancy clutch steels or fibers, just OEM stuff. You can get about 200-300 passes out of a stock set up. A 15 minute swap of fibers and steels and you are back at it again. The Hayabusa requires a couple of mods to make it work like you want it to, but it's as robust as the 14 once those minor mods are done.
    I would say bikes lend themselves more to the dragstrip than a car simply due to the performance availability/potential. No way could you get a car to run the times a bike can for that kind of money. But it takes a TON more skill to get a bike down the strip than it does a car. Its not as easy as it might seem.

15. Jul 5, 2009 at 7:22 AM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    Interesting. I wasn't expecting that many passes, that's quote a bit. Also a bike takes more balls, no cage.

I would also think the liter bikes are less stable due to lack of size and weight, am I correct?

16. Jul 5, 2009 at 8:17 AM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner

Stability wise, all of the modern sportbikes are solid going down the track. All feel like you are doing 70 down the highway. Super smooth.

Clutch life will also depend on your weight and riding style. I am very easy on the clutch with my riding technique. I don't slip the clutch nearly as much as most.

17. Jul 5, 2009 at 8:24 AM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I would think that would make a world of difference.

18. Jul 5, 2009 at 8:27 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    With that much torque, you dont have too! :)

19. Jul 5, 2009 at 8:32 AM
    edc

edc Well-Known Member

Member:
    ILLINOIS
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd crew cab 4x4
    rcd 4.5" lift,relentless fab front bumpers,trd cai,17x9 motometal955,flowmaster40 muffler,cobra sxt cb,k2motor headlights,kl71 kumho tires
    Cool bike men.i was gonna get the honda cbr r1000 but my wife asked me to choose between a 2009 tacoma or the honda .men it was a tough choice i picked the tacoma.

20. Jul 5, 2009 at 8:41 AM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner

exactly. I try to get clutch out by the time I hit the tree and be WFO by the 60'

Products Discussed in

To Top