1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My new Landlord sucks....im never renting from a private owner again....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by DCGirl, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Jun 3, 2011 at 7:13 PM
    DCGirl

DCGirl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    So I moved into a new place because it was lower in cost, smaller of course and in a not so pretty part of town. I can hear the "you get what you pay for" in my ears already. But anyway I decided to go ahead with this place because my roomie is friends with him from the Navy reserves. Within 48 hours of moving were scrambling to find a gate key that he didn't provide before moving out of state, found out the doors to the bedrooms don't close properly and about 2 days later we find out he is trying to sell the place....he led us to believe he wanted tenants for a few years and wasn't selling. WE both asked him when potential buyers showed up saturday morning and he still insists he isn't trying to sell and I find it on realtor.com a few hours later. He also said we would be able to use the storage shed and put a washer and dryer in. He left 2 large tool storage boxes behind that now block that area. I can already hear the potential landlords reading this already...you should have checked the place out better and gotten things in writing but guess what....in a property managed by a real company these things are fixed no questions asked, the way it should be in my opinion and I have thought of being a landlord myself but I wouldn't treat people the way I have been. After all this I know I will never rent from a private owner/landlord again and I don't think I wanna be one thinking of all the headaches....

How can I go about dealing with the landlord and fixing these issues? And is he able to send potential buyers when we signed a 1 year lease? (in lease it says he can send potential buyers/tenants when we give our 30 day notice but nothing else beyond that) I realize owner can inspect and such with notice but sending buyers to inspect when it will still be occupied for months? we can refuse I know but can he enter anyway?

When a landlord rents out a property to a tenant, they give up possession of the property. By law, your landlord must respect your privacy. However, a landlord does have a right to enter in certain situations. You should cooperate with your landlord if he has a valid reason to request entry.

"When the landlord can enter

Your landlord can enter your rental unit for these reasons:

To respond to an emergency that threatens life or property.
    To make repairs or alterations that are necessary or that you have agreed to.
    To show the place to potential buyers, tenants, or repair workers.
    If you have given permission to enter.
    If you have abandoned the premises, or your landlord has obtained a court order."

2. Jun 3, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    Bloodhound

Bloodhound Banned from the Pics Thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    Floor-mats, Running Boards, Shorty Antenna, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, AVS In-Channel VentVisors, Beer cans in the bed
    Go back and re-read your lease. Does he disqualify his/herself from the 1 year agreement? He may be able to have potential owners view the property but can they kick you out upon purchase?

3. Jun 3, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    If he is not holding up his end of the bargain, hold up his rent check. Money usually gets thing moving along pretty fast. If he still refuses to fix things move out, seems like he is breaking the lease already showing to buyers/tenants.

4. Jun 29, 2011 at 12:18 AM
    DCGirl

DCGirl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    He is actually in town right now and will be by the place tomorrow to fix any issues. This morning the knob on the sink faucet popped off and sprayed water all over me, I was able to get it under control but it was a reminder of how much more careful I should have been because I noticed the other day that the border along the bedroom door is just plain wood taken from home depot and painted over. Didn't notice it before at all because it blended in pretty well among the dim lighted hallway. It shows me a half ass attitude, someone that is not about quality that's for sure. This place isn't horrible but I was lied to and I would of rather paid the extra $150-200/month for a place I knew would not be like this.

Bloodhound, my roommate and I brought up the issue with him and he said "I will not let anything unfair happen" which in my opinion is a covering his ass response, meaning he isn't promising anything. I could be biased because of what I have had to deal with so far but could you blame me. I haven't even mentioned all the things that have happened..

hendooman, I believe legally I would have to request that maintenance be done and he has 30 days to get it done if it is not a major issue. The question is how do I do it legally? email? I am not quite sure on this without going to extremes of getting a letter notarized which I wouldn't want to because I don't want to spend the cash just for a request and shouldn't have to.

5. Jun 29, 2011 at 8:54 AM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah

Products Discussed in

To Top