1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My next round of mods...

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by extremachn1, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Oct 5, 2011 at 9:33 PM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    Patrick you tard its not compressed oxygen lol

2. Oct 5, 2011 at 9:51 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 [OP] I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Yes, I have already pointed this out... I will say he threw me for a loop for a minute until I figure out what he was talking about.

3. Oct 5, 2011 at 10:33 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    okay i dont know what it is, i just know why every SCORE chase truck has one

chas didnt mean to get into it with you lol just wanted to point out the advantages

4. Oct 5, 2011 at 11:29 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    No worries man. Just a bit of confusion on both our parts. I dont take stuff on the internet to heart and I know you werent trying to get into a pissing match. I do agree with many of your points and for something short term like a chase truck or a short race it would be good but I am looking at a self sustaining expedition rig so onboard air trumps the pony bottle in that case.

5. Oct 5, 2011 at 11:31 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    agreed :cheers:

6. Oct 5, 2011 at 11:41 PM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
  7. Oct 5, 2011 at 11:53 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    See, I am not a dick all the time. Just most of the time like when people run over my motorcycles, shoot rockets or bullets at me, and between the hours of 0200-2245!!!

(thats 2 a.m. until 10:45 pm for all you non military time telling folks)

8. Oct 5, 2011 at 11:56 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Ok, I think I have one more mod/repair to make and this one comes first.

Ok, I think I have a hybrid solution for my busted fan shroud/electric fan dilema.

Since I am not doing this for power or milage but rather for cooling while 4 wheeling and under heavy load boosted applications I am going to replace the fan shroud and keep the mechanical fan and clutch. I found a shroud for $100 and I should be able to install it myself. That will take care of the every day driving. Then I am going to install 2 smaller pusher fans on the front of my intercooler/condesor/radiator stack. These fans will be hooked to a manual switch that can be turned on in high load situations where normal cooling isnt good enough. I.E. 4 wheeling in arizona in the middle of summer or towing my boat/trailer through the mountains or something that causes my engine to run hot like that. That should provide enough additional cooling and give a back up to each other that way if I lose one or the other I am not stranded.

9. Oct 5, 2011 at 11:57 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    this is what i always planned on doing, what brand have you looked at?

i was checking out the lincon mark ones i think is the name?

10. Oct 6, 2011 at 12:55 AM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Actually your thinking of the fans OUT of the Lincon MkI car. I read a few posts on that. I was going to do some measuring this weekend and look at those as well as the flex-a-lite fans.

11. Oct 6, 2011 at 1:30 AM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    Okay I wasn't sure what they were I just remember reading a little about them

12. Oct 6, 2011 at 1:32 AM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
  13. Oct 6, 2011 at 3:23 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc

patrick rubs at full bump/lock with 6 inch lift, and 35s, oh and he has his coilovers cranked up an extra inch. so thats a total of 7 inches of lift.

(according to a thread i just read regarding 35s)

almost everyone rubs offroad with 35s and a 6 inch lift.
    im fairly positive that you are going to need to trim the firewall.....

14. Oct 6, 2011 at 3:37 AM
    97yota4wd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    just to show you..... this guy has the total chaos long travel kit, (4 inches of lift), fiberglass fenders, and he isnt running spacers (smaller turning radious= less rub.

without trimming-

[​IMG]

you can see where he plans on cutting to make them fit....
    [​IMG]

now cutting time :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now patchin em up

[​IMG]

and this is everything that was cut off.... its not just plastic, and his turning radious is smaller, and sticks out more than yours will be and he had to trim that much and they barely fit.

after trimming

35s will look bad ass, but your going to have to cut like a mofo.

but... can i help you? lol
    just want to make sure you know what your getting into before you try to do it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Oct 6, 2011 at 7:41 AM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:

Dont know how much that matters but he is a 1st gen. I will post up a couple guys who have done the mod I am going with and none of them cut the firewall I believe. Its going to be a trial and error thing. I am definatly not under the illusion I will just put glass fenders and 35's on and all will be happy and perfect.

16. Oct 6, 2011 at 7:44 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    You really shouldn't be needing pusher fans at all man. The highest I've ever seen my truck get to is 201F (still well within op temps, about 115F while towing vehicles around up steep ass hills... off road with the locker/ATRAC on lol). Unless that blower's seriously bringing the temps up I don't see why it'd be necessary. Cool factor sure... but ya.

Also, as for off-roading/expo rig... You're better off replacing the clutched fan with electric as clutch fans can/will fail... and when it does it will be enough to not allow the motor to idle anything less than probably 3k RPM. That happened to my buddies Tundra and I had to tow it with my new 2008 PreRunner at the time... lulz. Plus when you blast through water and such or caking it in mud you'll risk seizing it more. Just something to contemplate.

As for the rubbing bit... I'm seriously rubbing pretty bad with my 285/75/R16's. I'm hitting the pinch weld for sure... and even if that's beat back I'm not sure I'll be clearing it... with 35's and our mid travel I'd place some cash you will still hit on full compression and wheels turned, especially if you decide to move away from the Timbren's at some point for superbumps or something else that will allow more travel distance. Again, just something to contemplate and be preped for. There's a shit ton of clearance toward the front, it's just that damn abrupt down angle on the back of the wheel wells that get in the way lol.

No matter how you do it though I can't wait to see it... who knows I might end up copying what you do haha...

17. Oct 6, 2011 at 7:51 AM
    97yota4wd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    i cut my firewalls :D

jake do you have a sway bar on?

i only started rubbing with my sway bar off

18. Oct 6, 2011 at 7:56 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Nope, haven't had my sway bar on with the Fox's ever

19. Oct 6, 2011 at 7:57 AM
    97yota4wd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    oh okay.

hmm either way i want 35s lol. but i didnt want the tire cost, 4cylinder... with gnar gears(lol) and cut a stupid amount, but second gens can fit bigger tires without rubbing than the 1st gens right?

20. Oct 6, 2011 at 9:37 AM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Yea, 2nd gens can usually run 1 size larger without rubbing than 1st gens can. The 35" conversion will not happen until at earliest this time next year so I have plenty of time to research and get the parts I need so I am not really worried about that...

I think I am approaching the usable limit of my stock engine cooling. I have seen it get pretty damn hot while offroading 220+ due to the low speeds and boost. Now that I am running a couple extra pounds of boost with the under drive pulley I have seen the temps climb in normal driving situations. It might have to do with the busted fan shroud which I will be replacing on saturday so we will see how that remidies the situation. I like the idea of the dual cooling fan set up (stock clutch fan and dual pusher fans), that offers extra cooling when needed and redundencies in case on of them fails.

Most of the people who have done the straight electric fan dont push thier trucks as hard as I do offroad and are not boosted. Plus a majority of them are x-runner types so they are not doing the low speed high RPM's that we do rock crawling.

We will see what happens with my new fan shroud but I should be able to make a setup for around $100 initially and we can see how that goes.

Products Discussed in

To Top