1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My plan for a lift - how's my thinking?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Vandy, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Dec 3, 2010 at 5:50 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    :laugh: OP already has full rep with 7 posts....

2. Dec 6, 2010 at 7:13 PM
    benb870

benb870 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    West Palm Beach Florida
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    TRD Supercharger with URD pulley,ARB Front Bumper, All-Pro Rear Bumper, OME Lift, Camburg UCA's, Rock Sliders, Rough Country 20" light bar and 30" light bar. Rigid LED lights in ARB bumper, Weathertech mats, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Dual A Pillar Gauge pod with Autometer Phantom II Boost/Vac & Oil Pressure Gauges, Black Headlight mod, GrilleCraft Grill, 20% tint on all windows, All-Pro IRS Skid Plate, All-Pro Transmission Skid Plate, All-Pro Transfer Case Skid Plate, Azentec Mirror with GPS & Back up Camera, LED Tail lights & 3rd Brake light, High Jack Lift.
    Vandy,
    Here are some pics for you. I have the same set up you are looking for. Check out the leaf pak and 2 add-a-leaf. It looks like a 7 total leaf set up. Old Man Emu heavy lift due to the weight of the ARB and All-Pro rear.

thanks

Truck 2010 109.jpg
    Truck 2010 110.jpg
    Truck 2010 106.jpg

3. Dec 6, 2010 at 7:15 PM
    benb870

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    West Palm Beach Florida
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    TRD Supercharger with URD pulley,ARB Front Bumper, All-Pro Rear Bumper, OME Lift, Camburg UCA's, Rock Sliders, Rough Country 20" light bar and 30" light bar. Rigid LED lights in ARB bumper, Weathertech mats, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Dual A Pillar Gauge pod with Autometer Phantom II Boost/Vac & Oil Pressure Gauges, Black Headlight mod, GrilleCraft Grill, 20% tint on all windows, All-Pro IRS Skid Plate, All-Pro Transmission Skid Plate, All-Pro Transfer Case Skid Plate, Azentec Mirror with GPS & Back up Camera, LED Tail lights & 3rd Brake light, High Jack Lift.
    I have more pics but it takes too long to attach them here. send me a PM with your email and I'll send the rest.

4. Dec 6, 2010 at 7:16 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Thats a regular set of Dakars , no ? Like this

[​IMG]

5. Dec 6, 2010 at 7:36 PM
    '02TRD

'02TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Billstein 5100's & AAL, 285/75R16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts on Black 16x8 Raceline Renegades, Pro-Tech Toolbox, Wet Okole covers, K&N air filter, Tow package, Alpine digital media receiver, Kenwood Amp, Rockford Fosgate 10" sub, Cobra 75 hand held CB, front differential drop
    first off, good job putting in the research!!!

that being said, sounds like you've come up with a good plan. my comments would be...

1. stay away from top plate spacers.
    2. as planned, stay under 3" lift in the front!!!
    3. shims may not be needed, so I would do the install and pay attention for any vibes thereafter.
    4. a diff. drop is only $20, you may not need it but it could prevent having pre-mature wear on the cv's. I just installed one today (first gen. w/ 2/5" and helped the angles enough to keep the fins of the cv boots from touching so i'm glad i did it, plus SIMPLE install)
    5. save your money on the uca's and wander back into the alignment shop when you're getting it done and make sure they work it until its TITS!!! (i'm a first gen. guy, but i believe the same goes for the second gen. tacoma that ucas needed at/above 3"+)
    6. put the uca money towards new wheels. you can get a nice set of wheels for 400-600 and easily sell your stock wheels on Tacomaworld or craigslist to offset the price. I say go for new wheels because you'll need a different offset (i believe 4.5") to run 285/75R16s (33") without uca or frame contact.
    7. Post pictures when you're done!!!!
    8. UP THAT 5% OFFROAD. hahah

good luck man

6. Dec 6, 2010 at 8:43 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    I found that the Dakars and rear shocks let the rear axle drop far enough that I felt more comfortable with longer brake lines.

Wheelers felt it was kinda up to me, not an absolutely necessary upgrade.

That being said - rear brake lines is a pretty easy upgrade, much easier and less expensive than UCAs.

7. Dec 7, 2010 at 12:31 PM
    benb870

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    West Palm Beach Florida
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    OZ-T that is the exact set up. I didnt realize it was a new leaf pak and 2 helpers or add-a-leaf. I just bought the truck a month ago and this was already on it. Hopefully it is better than the stock 3 or 4 leaf spring!

8. Dec 7, 2010 at 2:49 PM
    Vandy

Vandy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Pasadena, MD
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC-LB, 4x4 SR5, Indigo Ink
    Redline Hood Struts, Blacked out Badges, Blacked out SR5 Wheels, BFG All-Terrains, aFe Pro Dry Air Filter, Wicked Flow Muffler
    Thanks for posting the pictures benb870. I appreciate it.

9. Dec 7, 2010 at 2:50 PM
    Vandy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Pasadena, MD
    Vehicle:
    Redline Hood Struts, Blacked out Badges, Blacked out SR5 Wheels, BFG All-Terrains, aFe Pro Dry Air Filter, Wicked Flow Muffler
    Thanks bjmoose. I think I'll be adding the brake lines to the front and wait until I have the cash to buy UCAs should I need them.

10. Dec 7, 2010 at 5:40 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Steve ( bjmoose ) was talking about adding extended brake lines to the back .

11. Dec 7, 2010 at 5:51 PM
    kite

kite Well-Known Member

Member:
    Squamish, BC
    Vehicle:
    Red Truck
    FYI: this info is far from correct. Spidertrax run around $200 per set (4), and seem to go as cheap as $160 per set (4).

12. Dec 7, 2010 at 5:53 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    The Dakars come with 5 regular leaves and 2 overloads . You can also buy an additional add a leaf for them .

13. Dec 7, 2010 at 5:54 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    You are correct, I apologize. :anonymous:

That post has been edited to remove the incorrect info.

14. May 4, 2011 at 1:46 PM
    Canuckwithatruck

Canuckwithatruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Bow Lake, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport
    OME 885 Coils Light Racing UCA's Dakar Leaf Pack
    OP, have you upped that 5% how are you enjoying the lift?

15. May 5, 2011 at 4:42 AM
    Vandy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Pasadena, MD
    Vehicle:

Unfortunately, I have not been able to yet. I started a new job in February and had to replace my heat pump. Starting to save again for the lift now though.

Products Discussed in

To Top