1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Rally Sweep Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Werkro01, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Aug 26, 2013 at 7:50 AM
    Werkro01

Werkro01 [OP] Senior Clown

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Butters
    Long Bed Leer cap, Wheather tech floor liners, Black badges, Demello Offroad front plate bumper, rear wrap around tube bumper and sliders. Scorpion lined bed, rocker panels and fender flares.
    So I've got some serious rubbing issues... my tires also rub on my fender flares, body and frame.:D Kind of hard to turn to full lock while sitting still. This wheel rubbing is also damaging the bed liner on the fender flare. This has only happened on the driver side but I haven't done any serious wheeling yet so I am guessing the passenger side will be next. I'll post some pictures later tonight. I seriously need some help trimming.:(

2. Aug 26, 2013 at 7:58 AM
    bulhas

bulhas the habs fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1997 Rexus
    LS Swap 500 hp......
    not a abd start at all

you crate stacking reminds me of minecraft :D

3. Aug 26, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    What are your tire and wheel specs?

4. Aug 26, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    Werkro01

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Butters
    Long Bed Leer cap, Wheather tech floor liners, Black badges, Demello Offroad front plate bumper, rear wrap around tube bumper and sliders. Scorpion lined bed, rocker panels and fender flares.
    I have 285x75x16R tires with 16" wheels that have the factory offset of 10 mm (I hope I have the right offset... but it is factory). The rubbing on the frame is mostly tolerable but the rubbing on the fenders and flares bothers me greatly because it destroys the bedlined flare.:mad:

5. Aug 26, 2013 at 2:57 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Start chopping :D i think stock wheels specs are actually something like +40mm offset, but that would be to close to the upper control arm with 285s, you should clear depending on the width of the wheel/backspacing. Trimming the fender flares and inner wheel well liner is no big deal. I trimmed my front fender flares in the front and back of the wheel well, right where it turns in, just cut that straight down. Sounds like you are rubbing the body mount, try looking in to the cab mount chop (CMC) to see how it should be done. I cut mine and haven't boxed it in yet.

6. Aug 27, 2013 at 5:40 AM
    Werkro01

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Butters
    I know what I need to chop... I just lack the tools to do so easily. I have mainly hand tools which would be okay for the trimming of the fenders and the fender flares but just painful for the CMC. I also need to move my rock sliders back a little more which means drilling new holes about and inch rearward of the old holes. What I'm worried about is will that destroy the rigidity of the frame? :confused:

7. Aug 28, 2013 at 4:05 PM
    Werkro01

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Butters
    Here's some of the damage the rubbing has caused.Mainly, the damage is to the fender flare however, there is also damage to the tire on the drivers side from the rubbing on the fender itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have also noticed that my driver side tire rubs on the frame at full lock with no bump. However, the passenger side at full lock with no bump does not rub on the frame (see pictures below). So I decided to take some measurements. I measured the gap between the inside wall of the fender flare and the tire at the bottom of the flare. I found that the driver side gap was about 1/2" narrower than the passenger side :mad:. Has anyone else encountered this?:confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Aug 28, 2013 at 5:32 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    When was your last alignment and what are your numbers? Getting your caster higher might help with rubbing the body mount, but the best remedy is ganna be to just cut it. Grinder or sawzall will work fine, then you just gatta find someone with welding skills to box it in.

9. Aug 28, 2013 at 7:14 PM
    YOTA LOVER

YOTA LOVER Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    A slew of pricey stuff my wife hates me for.
    *cough cough* run a smaller tire *cough*

10. Aug 28, 2013 at 8:56 PM
    Werkro01

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Butters
    Yea like 245x75... I think that would look killer. But yes that is the other option. I just don't think a wheel spacer is gonna do the trick.

My last alignment was when i got the lift put together... I'll have to check it again for the numbers.

11. Aug 30, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    Werkro01

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Butters
    So I saw my mechanic the yesterday to examine the rubbing since I had the feeling it was actually just symptoms of a bigger problem because it was asymmetric. He didn't think it was an alignment issue. Thus, next friday I'm gonna take it in and get all the measurements checked to make sure they are within factory specifications.

My guess is that this problem dates back before I had anything done and tweaked something in one of the missteps I took in the truck. Probably when I was in the Gunks...

12. Aug 30, 2013 at 9:13 AM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    I doubt you tweaked something, my cab isn't perfectly centered on the frame. Start measuring off of other points of reference besides the wheels to back check your measurments your getting from the wheels. I think you need to just start cutting a bunch of stuff to stop the rubbing :D theres no other way around it running 285s other than getting smaller tires. You should see how much i had to cut with -10 mm offset.

13. Aug 30, 2013 at 11:06 AM
    Werkro01

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Butters
    Would the cab not being perfectly centered put things off by a 1/2"? :confused: Even if it were the cab the wheel is rubbing hard on the frame on one side while the other has none. Could the front axle be not perfectly straight too? But the steering is off too from when I got it from the factory. It has to be slightly to the left to go straight. I don't honestly know if this is me being OCD or there is something really wrong. But either way I feel like 1/2" is a lot... I'm freaking out a little.:goingcrazy:

I know I'm going to have to trim to have zero rubbing but I would like to make it as minimal as possible.

14. Sep 9, 2013 at 8:22 AM
    Werkro01

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Butters
    So as I suspected the asymmetrical rubbing on the frame is due to a bent lower control arm on the driver side. The rubbing on the fenders wasn't what was worrying me but the rubbing on the frame was. The pictures above are to show that one tire rubs the frame a ton at full lock and the other does not rub even close to as much. If there was nothing tweaked this would have meant that the frame is asymmetrical or that the steering was asymmetrical. Both are not likely. So yea... I'm getting that fixed then doing some trimming. After that I'm gonna have be done for a bit to save money.

15. Oct 28, 2013 at 7:24 AM
    Werkro01

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Butters
    So time for an update:

I got the lower control arm replaced about 2 weeks ago. Then I got an alignment which realigned the wheels to the stock positions. This ended up brining that same insanity inducing rubbing. Got it realigned and the rubbing is better but it's still there. It's better than before but I may have to trim now… or should I just move the front axle forward by around 1/2"? Anyway I can't afford to have it in the shop for anymore time since it's my daily driver and my job requires me to drive about 400-600 miles each week.

I think we all know where this is headed…
    [​IMG]

16. Mar 22, 2014 at 8:32 AM
    TheTacoAdventurer

TheTacoAdventurer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB TRD OR
    Forever modding!
    Nice truck. Seen it several times at Glastonbury CRG.

17. Mar 24, 2014 at 1:41 PM
    Werkro01

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Butters
    Thanks. I've seen yours there too on a couple of occasions. It looks pretty good.

18. Mar 24, 2014 at 1:53 PM
    TheTacoAdventurer

TheTacoAdventurer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB TRD OR
    Forever modding!
    Thanks. What do you think of your Demello front bumper and, if you don't mind, how much did it cost from Custom Coach?

19. Mar 24, 2014 at 2:01 PM
    Werkro01

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Butters
    So each time I've gotten new tires -- the 32 inch snows on my stock wheels or the 33s on my Level 8 wheels -- I just had the shop mount them since I was already there and it's pretty convenient. So I've never had to do the change over myself.

So I went to put on my 33s. I had gotten all of the out of the shed and to the driveway. Well I don't have a floor jack so I used the stock jack in the truck. Here are the pictures…

That's full droop.
    [​IMG]

How do I know you ask? Well there's this...

[​IMG]

The stock jack got it up just enough to get a 32 in. off and a 32 in. back on but not my 33s.:facepalm: I kind of knew this would happen. I guess it's time to get a high lift jack like the rest of the cool kids.

20. Mar 24, 2014 at 2:15 PM
    Werkro01

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Butters
    I really like the Demello front bumper. It's solid like a big 120 lb bumper shaped piece of 5/16" steel because that's what it is. I got mine sprayed with bed liner and mounted there because I'm a little lazy (plus they also made it look awesome). But they just charged what Demello charges for the bumper which I got uncoated because they could spray it with bed liner for less. Plus they know their shit when it comes to trucks and parts. Chris (the owner) said it was the stoutest bumpers and sliders he's ever seen. Definitely worth it.

Products Discussed in

To Top