1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My relentless fab experience

Discussion in 'Vendor Reviews' started by mgrande, Mar 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 26, 2012 at 8:11 PM
    korslite

korslite Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    FOX 2.5 RR's, TC UCAs, TC Spindle Gussets, Allpro Expedition leaf pack, Fox 2.O RR w/ Comp adjusters, 17" ATX Artillery, BFG AT 285's, de-scooped, custom sliders, custom bedrack, Brute Force Fab bumpers, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, ARB locked Rear diff
    You could always just trim your truck to match the lines of the bumper...

2. Mar 26, 2012 at 8:21 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    lol ^^^

3. Mar 26, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Doublecab TRD Offroad
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.

Just trying to make the best of a bad situation. I did everything I could to get it on there and looking halfway decent. I made the assumption Eric wasn't going to build me another bumper or refund my money so I just sucked it up.

I don't mean that as any type of an attack on him since I never even told him of the issue to give him the opportunity to correct it. I saw that he had many satisfied customers and inevitably in any manufacturing process there is a bad egg. I chalked it up to "just my luck".

4. Mar 26, 2012 at 8:52 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    mike, you just need to hit something (prefferably not one of our trucks) at the next wheeling meet hard enough to tweak the other wing up just a bit to match the other side. problem solved :)

5. Mar 26, 2012 at 9:07 PM
    mgrande

mgrande [OP] iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    I'd rather not contact him. I'm pretty pissed about the whole thing and I have trouble with my temper.

I've thought about that. So far I've just tried hanging from the corner but no luck.

6. Mar 26, 2012 at 9:10 PM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    did you elongate the mounting holes? without doing that the drivers side wont be able to slide down as much as it needs to.

7. Mar 26, 2012 at 9:38 PM
    jdmdcfan

jdmdcfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    east WA
    Vehicle:
    dcsb
    It's probably not a good idea to contact him if you already decided you don't want anything from him. He needs all the time he can get, "says the guy on the waiting list." j/k

Seriously though looks like there is no perfect fix.

8. Mar 26, 2012 at 11:49 PM
    all.on.black

all.on.black Well-Known Member

Member:
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab Sport with a few mods
    I understand your frustration but the bumper is hand made. Unless you have a bumper built on your truck, it won't fit perfectly. If you buy an All Pro bumper you will have the same issues. It might not be the exact same fitment issue but there will be some fitment issue. The reason I chose All Pro as an example is because it's an actual structured company (unlike Eric, which is just one person that has a business license) that should have no fitment issues, yet they do. But, since all trucks are built/assembled within a tolerance range its difficult to get one product to fit them all perfectly. This is why instead of having three 1/4" holes for the mounting plates, you have 1/4"x1" slots to leave room for adjustment.

On a side note, if you look at other peoples Relentless bumpers you will notice that the wings all tend to point upward slightly (like your left side). I've mentioned it to him before but it doesn't look like it's been corrected. My bumper did the same thing and even the one on his truck did it.

In all, for being a one man shop and running on basic equipment, Eric does a good job. You're not going to get the quality of a company that has an endless bank account and can afford state of the art measuring equipment but he does go work for what it is. There is some room for improvement but that comes with time.

9. Mar 27, 2012 at 4:39 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    What if we set up some bad ass pulley system, hook up a winch to the corner and start pulling that sucker down?:rolleyes: I think we could get the sucker fixed in no time! :D

Or just hook it up to my hitch, i will put my truck in gear and just nail the gas! Either way, i think we would be in business.:cool:

10. Mar 27, 2012 at 2:45 PM
    mgrande

mgrande [OP] iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    Ive thought of this.

11. Mar 27, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    this is super easy and needs to be done.

OP your bumper install needs a little help. You need to have a much larger gap between the fender and bumper. Eric's design is great and allows you to do this by yourself with no help. You need to change your mount or you will rip off your fenders if you offroad.

I know first hand that this is NOT enough gap because I did the same thing it looks like you have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I now have mine shimmed down much further then pictured. The cab flex on these trucks is crazy and your fenders will pay the price in the end if you don't adjust it.

You can track through Fastenal. I don't know why people keep saying they can't, but this is false. I tracked my shipment over a year ago with one phone call to my salesman.

12. Mar 27, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    VooDoo

VooDoo More Cowbell!

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter Ivey
    Baton Rouge, LA/ Starkville, MS
    Vehicle:
    '06 DC LB PreRunner
    Sorry for your experience, still looks great!!

13. Mar 27, 2012 at 7:32 PM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    The bumper is limited by the upper mounting bolts in how far it will slide up or down. You can only put so many washers between the lower mount and the bumper before you max out the limit of the upper bolts. His install is not incorrect, the bumper is. Its tweeked I have the same issue.

14. Mar 27, 2012 at 8:07 PM
    screename

screename Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Van
    Houston, TX
    I was given a lead time quote of 5-6 months. Does this mean it will take 10-12 months? I may have to reconsider.

15. Mar 27, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    mgrande

mgrande [OP] iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    ^ this X10000

After a while figured i wouldnt get it at all.

16. Mar 28, 2012 at 4:24 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    Sorry dude, not trying to sound like an ass or kick the obvious right in the face here, but did you bother to rear any of this thread????? Or did you just skim through the pics and decide to post your own opinion which, if you had read, everything you stated has already been stated and as the OP stated on this same page has been attempted!!! Next time take a little time to read the thread and not just comment on it based on the pictures, reminds me of my 3 year old trying to read a book.

This thread has been about the fitment issue and the EXTREME wait time (double that which was quoted).

17. Mar 28, 2012 at 5:21 AM
    korslite

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    FOX 2.5 RR's, TC UCAs, TC Spindle Gussets, Allpro Expedition leaf pack, Fox 2.O RR w/ Comp adjusters, 17" ATX Artillery, BFG AT 285's, de-scooped, custom sliders, custom bedrack, Brute Force Fab bumpers, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, ARB locked Rear diff
    Haha. Looks like its crooked too. Anyone mention that yet?... ;)

18. Mar 28, 2012 at 6:25 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    Mike would have to verify that, but in all fairness, that may just be shadows and camera angle. i've taken measurements on some of the roof racks i build once they're done, and they measure perfectly square to within less than 1/8th of an inch, yet a shadow here or there makes it look way out of wack in a picture.

19. Mar 28, 2012 at 6:30 AM
    ruggedT

ruggedT The Sticker Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2016 Ford F250
    Diesel on 35's
    So are his bumpers not adjustable like the other brands out there?

Edit: Read two pages back. Looks like you tried. Dont try and adjust by the bottom bolts/area. Loosen the 3 on each side inside the bumper. Get a friend, and somthing to judge the distance to the fender... I used the handle on a paint brush. Adjust and tighten the 3 bolts. Then worry about the bottom mounts, just slide in washers till they fill the gap. I have 2 different thickness washers on my bottom bolts, 3 total on each side.

20. Mar 28, 2012 at 6:37 AM
    korslite

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    No amount of washers are gonna straighten the bumper in this case. It is obviously twisted from the fabrication process beyond adding washers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
To Top