1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tundy, house and beetle build thread...and exploring.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Stig, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Sep 6, 2017 at 9:56 PM
    kashtyaatsi

kashtyaatsi DieselDub

Member:
    First Name:
    Asher
    Bitterroot, MT
    Vehicle:
    LPC's
    Broken
    Cmon man you still haven't caught up to me in mileage!

Stig[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  2. Sep 6, 2017 at 10:04 PM
    Stig

Stig [OP] Resident smartass

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    I'm doing my best.. what are you at?

3. Sep 6, 2017 at 10:37 PM
    kashtyaatsi

kashtyaatsi DieselDub

Member:
    First Name:
    Asher
    Bitterroot, MT
    Vehicle:
    LPC's
    Broken
    Like 63K total I think.

4. Sep 6, 2017 at 10:45 PM
    Stig

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    Well if you park it for a few months I should be able to catch up

5. Sep 6, 2017 at 10:51 PM
    kashtyaatsi

kashtyaatsi DieselDub

Member:
    First Name:
    Asher
    Bitterroot, MT
    Vehicle:
    LPC's
    Broken
    Start doing laps. Heading down to utah at the end of the month and then new mexico the week after. Then up to wyoming two weeks later.

6. Sep 7, 2017 at 7:16 AM
    Stig

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    @Star-Lord when's the camper going into the Tundy? I met some people in Alaska with a four wheel camper in a tundra and they liked it. :boink:

Deathbysnusnu likes this.
  7. Sep 7, 2017 at 7:21 AM
    Deathbysnusnu

Deathbysnusnu Work is just a daily detour to happy hour.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Fort Crawlins, CO
    Vehicle:
    Vintage Tundra
    Dog, camper.
    any pics?
    Not soon enough for me. Put a hold on that thing for the next couple months until i "see" how things turn out. :p

jubei, alee891, CO MTN Steve and 3 others like this.
  8. Sep 7, 2017 at 7:40 AM
    Stig

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    No pics. It was cold, dark and rainy. Looked nice though. :). Although that's the only time my truck still looks nice so there could be a correlation with the environmental conditions and bad night vision.

I've seen quite a few along the trip, a few tacos with them, a habitat on a taco (or two).

Just as many tacos with ass on the ground from towing campers they probably shouldn't be.

9. Sep 7, 2017 at 7:49 AM
    akkyle

akkyle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2014 regular cab 4x4
    :wave: Welcome to Alaska! Enjoy your time up here!

10. Sep 7, 2017 at 7:53 AM
    Stig

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    Thanks but I hit the weigh station in my way south. Haha the two weeks I was up there I managed to have only a day or two that were sunny so I had to go find sun after the forecast told me there would be a ton more rain coming. Wanted to swing by Valdez but it was forecast for over 4" of rain the next two days.

I'll be back, but next time my happy ass is flying or cruising up there.

I married my tacoma likes this.
  11. Sep 7, 2017 at 7:57 AM
    akkyle

akkyle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2014 regular cab 4x4
    Valdez is always clouded over or rainy, it's extremely beautiful though, regardless of weather conditions. This summer has been really rainy. where did you end up going?

12. Sep 7, 2017 at 8:00 AM
    akkyle

akkyle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2014 regular cab 4x4
    never mind found your post of where you went haha

Stig[OP] likes this.
  13. Sep 7, 2017 at 8:05 AM
    Stig

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    I'll be posting pictures at some point of the Alaska portion. Next time I'll have to swing through in summer when I'll be able to see more. Camping in the rain got annoying though.

14. Sep 7, 2017 at 8:20 AM
    Tacoma SS

Tacoma SS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 09 on 35s
    Boost and flex and 35s
    How far back is that? It seems like you've been on your trip for months lol

15. Sep 7, 2017 at 8:20 AM
    akkyle

akkyle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2014 regular cab 4x4
    its pretty comfy when you have a RTT, but you get used to the weather. I've enjoyed my fair share of 5 mile hikes in the rain then tent in the rain, so I can understand the willingness to stay dry lol

16. Sep 7, 2017 at 9:46 AM
    Stig

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    Just an observation as well...

The whole "bring seven spare tires and three Jerry cans for fuel when driving to Alaska" seems to be an old wives tail.

The roads are in pretty dang good condition, no worse than highways anywhere else. The northern route through Dawson City had gravel but it was smooth.

And even with my pretty pathetic 300 miles per tank (compared to most modern non trail rig vehicles), the only times i stretched fuel was when I skipped a gas station to see if i could make it (knowing i still had 5 extra gallons in the bed).

So if you've always wanted to make the drive, don't let those old reports scare you off.

On a side note, they have a bunch of bridges that are new looking but have wooden decking, it's like driving on a cloud, so smooth and silent.

But common sense applies.. Reliable vehicle, good tires and spare with a plug kit and spare vehicle parts should be a basic starter kit that should be on board all the time imo.

Slashaar, akkyle and Deathbysnusnu like this.
  17. Sep 7, 2017 at 1:35 PM
    akkyle

akkyle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2014 regular cab 4x4
    I agree with this observation, I always carry 2 spares and 3-5 gallon jerry cans with me. why so much fuel? because when I go camping it can be 100 miles away from the road and easily twice that from a "real gas station" (there are always businesses selling fuel at an undisclosed price), so by time I am at my camping spot I'm far from a full tank.

My advice and experience: If you are traveling on the main road system, an extra 5 gallons is plenty, if you are going off the main road system, bring 2, I Like to buy gas as cheap as possible so I buy most of it in anchorage and top off my main tank in glen allen or talkeetna depending on my destination, so I bring 3. The only time I have had to stretch my gas is when I did the Dalton highway. I have never blown a tire, but its not unheard of to blow 2 in a single trip, again, I wouldn't be worried if you stay on the main road system, but all bets are off when you leave it. The winter is probably when having more than enough fuel matters the most, as it gets dark early (night out on the town at 3 pm anyone?) and if you get thrown off the road, having that gas to run the vehicle for hot air is necessary till you can get unstuck or someone helps you.

I think a lot the stigma about bring 7 spares and 3 jerry cans comes partially from people in the lower 48 believing we all live in cabins in the middle of nowhere (some do) and the fact that Alaska is portrayed as an untamed wilderness.

18. Sep 7, 2017 at 3:03 PM
    CO MTN Steve

CO MTN Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    RaMbLiN' CoLoRaDo
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco DCSB Blue
    Lifted, Armored, needs more lights.
  19. Sep 7, 2017 at 6:34 PM
    Stig

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    Yum, bugs.. picked this layer of goodness up in BC. Every gas stop, windshield and headlights got cleaned. I'd swipe the bumper to get them wet and only tried the light bar once.

But it's clean now, no longer to I have a swarm of bugs hovering up there every time I stop... And it doesn't reek like fish anymore.

0907171254_HDR.jpg

You can see the crazy smoke from the fires. The drive on highway 99 would be something I'd happily do again if it was clear skies. It looked awesome.

Slashaar and CO MTN Steve like this.
  20. Sep 8, 2017 at 3:20 PM
    Stig

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    The Dalton Highway

Hanging out in Alaska in late summer and fall appeared to be asking for overcast skies and light rain; all day long. I wanted to make it north to Deadhorse before it got too snowy/icy along the road since I had heard all the “such a dangerous road” talk.

[​IMG]27-08-2017 09.23.33 by Brandon M, on Flickr

I set out from Fairbanks and headed north. The previous night, I camped along the river and didn’t see any moose or bear but did get to see two bald eagles flying around looking for food.

[​IMG]2DSC05171 (1) by Brandon M, on Flickr

On my way I checked out a trail that was suggested by a local. He told me that the trail had a bunch of forks, and to stay this way, and not go the other way. I think I did pretty well on most of the directions, but made a mistake near the end of the trail. The trail started to make a steep descent and closed in becoming more of an ATV trail. At this point, I was close to a main road (on the GPS) and it seemed to widen up after a narrow section. There were no areas to turn around so I either continued or backed up the long steep section that had a deep rut caused by the snow melt. I carried on…and this became the normal trail.

[​IMG]0825171204_HDR by Brandon M, on Flickr

The narrow sections continued and it was fairly clear that this was now only an ATV trail. With the ruts in the trail becoming up to two feet deep, it would’ve been a difficult ATV trail. But I was so close, and knew I had to be close to an end. I was hoping that the end of the trail had a route to the main road… This is how narrow the trail has become.

[​IMG]0825171222a_HDR by Brandon M, on Flickr

The last steep descent was deeply rutted on the passenger side of the trail. I attempted to straddle it but the front tire slipped into the rut causing the truck to get very light on the drivers rear corner. It was the closest I have been to rolling the truck. I was able to get it back up the rut and straddle it for long enough to keep from rolling and made it down. It’s been the only time I’ve had an adrenaline rush from off roading. I was so happy to see a house with a regular vehicle in the driveway which meant I would be able to access the main road from there! After this, I decided to hit the highway and avoid the sketchy side roads.

It was cool out, overcast and patchy rain. As soon as I hit the first section of dirt, the road was half graded, the other half was potholes. It continued like this for a short time before it smoothed out and would jump from gravel to pavement. The road is very wavy from settling, potholes that are guaranteed to tear open a tire and/or break a rim if you hit them correctly. So most of the time you have to watch for any of the obstacles on the road instead of enjoying the views. The traffic was not too bad, the majority being construction equipment and truckers.

Well this makes it easy…

[​IMG]20825171543_HDR by Brandon M, on Flickr

As soon as I jumped on the highway… wildlife!

[​IMG]2DSC05186 by Brandon M, on Flickr

The first leg of the trip, I made it up to Coldfoot where I gassed up, and drove a bit north until I found a nice location along the river. Temps were likely in the 30s, and windy with light rain. I fueled up with a good dinner of spaghetti with squash and zucchini and followed up with some ice cream of course.

[​IMG]20825171819b_HDR by Brandon M, on Flickr

In the morning I continued north. As I approached the mountains of Antigun Pass, the clouds got heavier and I saw the fresh snow on the peaks. The fall colors were also in full bloom all along the road, yellow, orange, fire red were an awesome contrast to the dark mountains and the fresh white snow. The snow was only an inch or two at the top of the pass. To the north of the pass, the roads were somewhat better with most sections under construction.

[​IMG]2DSC05232 by Brandon M, on Flickr

[​IMG]20826171112c_HDR by Brandon M, on Flickr

There were many sections of longer waits for a pilot vehicle for the one way roads. It continued raining all the way to Deadhorse. By then the rear half of the truck was covered in a thick wet mud from the road and the tailgate had a ¼” of mud that made it a lot of fun to get in there for food and supplies. There were multiple bikers that were pedaling their way to Deadhorse… it did not look appealing by any stretch of the imagination!

I made my way south the next day since it was nothing but rain along with more of the same in the forecast. Lots more mud, some great pictures, saw a single musk ox along the road and continued on.

[​IMG]20827171258c_HDR by Brandon M, on Flickr

[​IMG]226-08-2017 06.58 by Brandon M, on Flickr

As far as traveling the Dalton Highway:

In my opinion, you should not travel any road without good tires and a spare, a full tool kit, survival gear, etc. This is no different here. The road in the summer is quite a different beast from winter as far as conditions and traffic. And winter conditions will require better and more supplies. The road is only there to service Deadhorse and there is a lot of semi truck and construction traffic. You should yield to this traffic when needed. The road is monitored by truckers and the the transportation department by CB radio (channel 19 I think, there are signs along the road).

It is a rough road in areas, there are potholes that could probably rip a control arm from a vehicle if you hit them at speed. But as long as you dont mind swerving around the potholes and are able to, you should be fine. A lot of the road is paved (although pavement means harder potholes when you hit them). The roads here, and throughout Alaska and Canada have a roller coaster vibe to them from the permafrost. You could need a second spare here just as likely as many other places. There was plenty of traffic when I traveled the road so if you needed help, it would not be far out (likely different in the winter). The road would be very sketchy in the winter even with good winter tires. The 50 mph speed limit is more like a maximum speed due to corners, potholes, etc.

I only had one 5 gallon jerry can, I never had to use it even though my truck gets a measly 300’ish miles per tank. The longest stretch without gas is nearing 250 miles. You cannot get to Prudhoe Bay unless you schedule ahead with the oil company and pay them for a ride in their van to the bay. I had no interest in supporting that so I did not make it to the actual bay, but it was plenty cold and rainy in the whole city.

Along the route, there is camping all along the roads. There are a few designated campgrounds, everywhere else is right along the road at little rest areas mostly without any facilities.

I’ll work on the Alaska updates at some point.

To Top