1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Son wants to join Air Force I dont think its good idea. Help me out.

Discussion in 'Military' started by BlueT, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Jul 13, 2014 at 9:39 AM
    DeltaSteve

DeltaSteve Social Critic

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    FW,TX near TCU
    Vehicle:
    '09 White TRD access
    KING 2.0" PERFORMANCE SERIES REMOTE RESERVOIR COILOVER SHOCK W COILOVERS, TC UCA, OME DAKAR SPRINGS, RELENTLESS PLATE R BUMPER and MORE :)
    Funeral Director, Used Car Salesman :confused:

2. Jul 13, 2014 at 9:50 AM
    kenneth.morris07

kenneth.morris07 كافر‎

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Relentless Fab plate bumper,aFe Cold air intake, 12" JL sub, RE tweeters and speakers, Kenwood Head unit, Autodim/temp/compass mirror from Bob, baffled oil catch can
    I was in the Marine Corps. As a result of that I have a broken body, PTSD, and am divorced. The Chair Force(joking!) seems by far the safest of all the branches. I have a few good friends who are in the AF and from what they've told me, other than being 6 years active duty right off the bat, it's all gravy. Boot camp was a joke(their words). I've seen where they live, which is extremely nicer than the WWII era barracks I lived in. They don't fight you to keep you from taking college courses while on active duty, and you can be a Fly Boy! It's also very easy to move up the ranks on the enlisted side. The commands actually care about you as a person and worry about your well being. If he wants to serve and you can't change his mind, push him towards the AF.

3. Jul 13, 2014 at 10:07 AM
    craigb

craigb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Leer Cap Bilstein Shocks under bed lighting all weather mats window rain guards bed mat
    Our son graduated college and then went into the air force. Our son was a pilot and was going in to fly. He found out that wasn't what he was going to be doing, so he wanted out. It took 3 weeks but they left him out. If it was any other branch he would have been stuck there until his years were served. The Air Force only wants people who want to be there. He needs to do what he wants to do or he will hold it against you for the rest of your life.

Just to let you know our son was a airline pilot for US Air and didn't like it being away from his wife and children. He is now a Flight Test engineer on Chinook helicopters for Boeing and loves it.

Someone said something about college graduates not being able to get jobs. Every graduate that I know has a great job. Our daughter also has a great job and graduated from college. All there friends have to and have great jobs. Sometimes you need to move where the jobs are.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  4. Jul 13, 2014 at 10:13 AM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Relax, it's just the Air Force. It's not like he's joining the military.

But seriously, it can't hurt him. Only good will come of it as long as he takes an active part in his personal and professional development.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  5. Jul 14, 2014 at 7:28 AM
    Droptopfox

Droptopfox Works at Tinkers’ Nook

Member:
    First Name:
    Jermaine
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    Actually I did what's called Aerospace Physiology. I trained Aircrew members and Special Operators on the dangers of high altitude flight. We operate the Centifuge, Altitude Chamber and Barany Chair. Delta Steve, now you have something to be confused about.

6. Jul 14, 2014 at 8:25 AM
    seanpatrick

seanpatrick Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sean
    The Coos
    Vehicle:
    16' AC trd sp 6spd
    Bilstein 5100 3" Bfg's at ta ko2 33" Fuel trophy's
    you dont just become a recruiter, you have a normal AF job for a few years first.. thats why i asked him what i asked him.

7. Jul 14, 2014 at 8:35 AM
    seanpatrick

seanpatrick Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sean
    The Coos
    Vehicle:
    16' AC trd sp 6spd
    just one thing, its actually one of the hardest branches to make rank per the enlisted side of the house. Thats coming from alot of folks ive worked with that have crossed over from Navy/Army/Coast Guard. I have heard that it is pretty tough in the Corps as well. The AF is a great choice if you have the right mindset for it. I loved my 7 Years in, no regrets.

8. Jul 14, 2014 at 8:42 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    This. If he is really going into cyber-security, that's a hot field right now. Probably for the foreseeable future as well. He doesn't have to wait to go to college until after he gets out. The military will pay for college while he is in as well. With the Air Force, it's probably a lot easier to do that than another service like the Navy, Army or Marines since they're relatively stable once they're stationed. It's harder to work and go to college at the same time but it's not impossible. Also, if he gets his degree in a similar field to his experience (e.g. Computer Science or a focus on Computer Security), he'll graduate with years of experience. It'll give him a huge leg up on the competition.

Cyber security is also a big field in the Federal Government as well. With time in the Air Force, he'll be a more attractive candidate for a federal DOD position and all his military service time will count toward federal benefits (vacation time, retirement, etc). DOD likes candidates with military experience because you're used to the culture. My military service helped me in securing my job even though it was unrelated to my computer science degree (I was an aviation electrician in the Navy).

9. Jul 14, 2014 at 8:43 AM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    I spent 6 years in the Air Force from 83-89. Not much going on in the world then. I'll say that I agree, if anyone is thinking about going into the military, AF is the way to go. By comparison we had it very easy. I knew it wasn't for me the second I stepped off the bus in Texas, but I'm glad that I did it.

10. Jul 14, 2014 at 9:14 AM
    kenneth.morris07

kenneth.morris07 كافر‎

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Relentless Fab plate bumper,aFe Cold air intake, 12" JL sub, RE tweeters and speakers, Kenwood Head unit, Autodim/temp/compass mirror from Bob, baffled oil catch can
    It is extremely hard to move up the ranks in the Marine Corps. It may be hard to move up the ranks in the AF as well. I can only comment on what my buddies have said and how quickly they moved up. Which they said was easy and very quick compared to us.

11. Jul 14, 2014 at 9:18 AM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    I'm not going to fill this thread with anymore, "I heard ............", nonsense. Sure the AF is doing cutbacks, so is every branch. It has been going on for awhile. As long as you son isn't a dirtbag, and advances at the normal rate, he shouldn't have to worry about being discharged. They aren't just walking up to random dudes cutting them. Their taking the poor performers, fattys, trouble makers, etc.......

As far as military vs. college, that is a tough one. It comes down to what he wants to do after the military. If he wants to get a degree in film or some other artsy field, then he should stay in school. If he wants to get a degree in a harder, more competitive field, then military will help. The military has mastered the art of teaching people a lot of information fast. Some refer to it as drinking out of a fire hose. They also instill honor, pride, work ethic, RESPONSIBILITY, etc.... These are things your 19 y/o son doesn't have, or at least not on the same level as a military member. These attributes can benefit him in college, should he decide to get out and pursue a degree in a competitive field. Lots of these fields, all you have is your GPA to present to the possible employers. Most college kids these days go by the saying, "Cs get degrees". What they don't realize is employers don't want to hire someone who half-assed their way through college when there is another applicant with a 3.7 GPA sitting right next to him. Not to mention if he plans to go on for a Master's program.

My brother and I are both prior military. We are both seeking degrees that pertain to the medical field (highly competitive). Both of us currently have a 4.0. I know for a fact that if I pursued this degree at the ripe young age of 19, I would of slacked off, partied too much, and not be doing this well. I definitely wouldn't have a competitive enough GPA without having to retake classes. We also are both using the GI Bill. Not sure why you don't believe the statements made about it. It's a pretty set in stone program that has been around for years. They pay 100% tuition (to MOST schools), pay you a housing allowance in the range of $1000 per month, and pay $500 towards books at the beginning of the semester.

Bottom line is the military won't hurt his future, just possibly delay it while bettering it at the same time.

12. Jul 14, 2014 at 9:28 AM
    WMDtech

WMDtech Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR 4X4, White, DCSB
    None... sigh
    My brother and I are both prior military. We are both seeking degrees that pertain to the medical field (highly competitive). Both of us currently have a 4.0. I know for a fact that if I pursued this degree at the ripe young age of 19, I would of slacked off, partied too much, and not be doing this well. I definitely wouldn't have a competitive enough GPA without having to retake classes. We also are both using the GI Bill. Not sure why you don't believe the statements made about it. It's a pretty set in stone program that has been around for years. They pay 100% tuition (to MOST schools), pay you a housing allowance in the range of $1000 per month, and pay $500 towards books at the beginning of the semester.

Bottom line is the military won't hurt his future, just possibly delay it while bettering it at the same time.[/QUOTE]

I agree, been in for 16 years. Carrying a 4.0 in Emergency and Disaster Management. I would not be doing that at 18 - 19 years old.

13. Jul 14, 2014 at 9:28 AM
    seanpatrick

seanpatrick Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sean
    The Coos
    Vehicle:
    16' AC trd sp 6spd
    not really non-sense when it comes from a first hand experienced individual, know what I mean? Plus the AF actually isnt getting rid of its dirtbags and such. The voluntary separation program just released all of the volunteers (people who can take their experiences and make lucrative careers on the outside i.e. ATC and pilot training) for separation, in turn saving the lower marking individuals (dirtbags) from being cut. again, just relaying first hand knowledge from a current NCO in the AD AF. All said and done none of that really matters towards the origional question posted. The AF is a good option if your a well adjusted individual, as are most things a well adjusted individual would find themselves considering.

14. Jul 14, 2014 at 10:24 AM
    Tj0hn

Tj0hn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Stock TRD Sport 4x4
    If he wants to do cyber security tell him to look in the 1B4X1 AFSC. Currently I think it is prior service applicants only, meaning only people who are in the military can apply, but that is cyber security to a t.

15. Jul 14, 2014 at 10:39 AM
    SpeedoJosh

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    When initially mentioned in this thread, people mentioned the "cuts" as a bad thing. Implying that the OP's son could potentially be cut. The voluntary separation does not apply to the OP's son unless he volunteers.

16. Jul 14, 2014 at 10:45 AM
    kenneth.morris07

kenneth.morris07 كافر‎

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    The cuts are just like the other branches. The drawbacks mainly consist of Officers(especially low ranking) who don't get a choice, people trying to re-enlist, and some voluntary. They're all also making harsher penalities for offenses which also gets people kicked out.

17. Jul 14, 2014 at 10:59 AM
    SpeedoJosh

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Exactly. This stuff isn't branch specific.
    Like I said, the OP doesn't need to worry his son will get cut unless he is a dirtbag/poor performer. If he is a dirt bag (not saying he is OP), and he makes it through his first six years, then there is a chance he won't be allowed to re-enlist. Just like any other job. Just because you joined the military it shouldn't mean a guaranteed slot for life. If you can't hack it, or are a trouble maker, why should an employer keep you around when there is a line of equally qualified people waiting for their chance.

18. Jul 14, 2014 at 11:04 AM
    DeltaSteve

DeltaSteve Social Critic

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    FW,TX near TCU
    Vehicle:
    '09 White TRD access
    KING 2.0" PERFORMANCE SERIES REMOTE RESERVOIR COILOVER SHOCK W COILOVERS, TC UCA, OME DAKAR SPRINGS, RELENTLESS PLATE R BUMPER and MORE :)
    Wow you are really something :eek:, I'm so impressed ;) Plain 'ol 11b10 :eek:

19. Jul 21, 2014 at 11:58 AM
    TacoSully

TacoSully Member

Member:
    Rosamond, CA
    Joining the AF was the greatest decision of my life. I've been in for 7 1/2 years, working avionics. In this time I have learned about electronics, mechanics, aerospace development, physics, chemistry, acquisition contracts, engineering, how to lead, how to follow, and how to work 12 hours, go home, sleep, wake up, go back for a 21 (yes 21) hour shift, and not bitch about it because I love my job.

All because my parents let me join.

Not everyone is like this. Some hate their job, some love it. Some count down the days until they get out for 2 years. But if he plays it smart, keeps his nose clean, and does something that he wants to do it will be the greatest thing he has ever done.

20. Jul 22, 2014 at 10:47 PM
    14TACO4X4

14TACO4X4 Mmmmm... Beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Temecula
    Vehicle:
    18 RAM EcoDiesel
    Laramie
    Funny... I get the same thing about the Navy. Now, I don't much care mind you, I am retired so I am collecting my pension with a smile. However... when I served ON THE GROUND IN IRAQ, there were Air Force personnel there, too.

Just saying. Oh, and the people who don't score high enough on the ASVAB to join the AF or Navy have to join the Army. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top