1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Story for Tonight (Flat Tire problems) and questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RBaptist, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Jan 21, 2009 at 6:17 PM
    RBaptist

RBaptist [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newnan, Ga
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner 4cyl SR5
    So I head out from work this evening and right as I'm about to turn onto the interstate, I hear a small "pop". Kinda sounded like I ran over a plastic coke bottle. I then heard the tell tale signs of a flat tire. I pull over, take a look and all looks well. I looked for my pressure guage to check just in case..and of course I stuck it in my wife's car a week earlier. I decide to buy one at a store down the street about 1/4mile and just as I go to put the guage on...I hear it...the dreaded HISSSSS of a deflating tire. :( And the tires are fairly new (only 6 months). :(:(:(

NO WORRIES....I'm AN EXPERT TIRE CHANGER...RIGHT ??? :cool: I mean, I've probably tossed 15-20 tires on cars in my 32 short years....I've changed a timing chain on a Japanese vehicle, I've survived Waffle House, and I have a degree in engineering.:D:popcorn:

I pull over to a local Home Depot that has a nice lit up contractor section (it's getting dark)...and get to work. I assemble the rod from hell (you know what I am talking about) :laser: and try to lower the tire. 10 min later...no dice. I look for my mag light(oops...put that in my wife's car too and didn't buy another). A nice THD employee grabs a light and gives me a hand. The guy shines his light in there and the two of us spend about 5 more minutes trying to lower the stupid tire. I told him "I got it from here..thank you :thumbsup:" and off he goes. I pull out the jack and stick it under the frame and start twirling it with the most awkward jack wrench on the planet....only to find that my jack is about 2" too short!!!! Really? :frusty: :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I'm kinda ticked at this point. I end up going inside and purchasing a $60 floor jack. :mad::mad::mad::mad: The bad part is...I have one at home already...60 miles away. I get the car up and change the tire...no problems at all! :bananadance: Back on the road.

So just to make sure I am not crazy...I parked the car in my garage and tried again with the jack. I torqued the HELL :devil: out of the little bottle jack and it does in fact lift the truck about 10mm off the ground. Now I wasn't on completely level ground at THD, but when have ANY of you been on level ground on the side of the road trying to change your tire ? And it won't work at ALL on the frame rails...only the cross beam. Again...REALLY ??:confused::confused:

I have a 2.7 SR5 Prerunner Access Cab with the Suspension TSB, so my truck is stock.

Moral of the story:
    1) Make sure you have a flashlight (duh)...cause you ain't moving that spare without it!!:thumbsup:
    2) Keep a pressure guage in your truck! :eek:
    3) Make sure your jack is big enough to lift your truck! :thumbsup: If I had been on the side of the interstate....well I would still be sitting there now!

Now....Questions for the Group:
    1) Does anyone make an aftermarket electric winch to raise and lower the tire? I've seen them on higher end cars. Seems like it would be an easy install if there was a kit out there. (Heck I could prbably rig something). I had my wife try to do it when I got home and there is NO WAY she would be able to do that on the side of a road at dark (even with a flashlight). That's not sexist...she has changed the tire on her Camry before with ZERO problems. Just a fact.

2) Anyone else have the same prob with the jack? I have a 2.7 SR5 Prerunner AccessCab.

Much appreciated!
    Robert

2. Jan 21, 2009 at 6:22 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    i hear of that alot. Its funny to drive down the highway, or even in a parkinglot and see bottle/scissor jacks in it. I always wondered why untill i got into the automotive biz. Sucks to hear about the tire thou..Did you have the insurance on it?

3. Jan 21, 2009 at 6:23 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    nice story. I havent had to use my jack yet thankfully :D

4. Jan 21, 2009 at 6:27 PM
    Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Member:
    G'Ville, NV
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD OR
    Not much yet, got a pretty good sound system w/ my custom sub box. Plan on adding more lights & a tool box.
    Sounds like we'd all better toss a 2x4 or a 4x4 in to get a bit more height outta that POS jack.

5. Jan 21, 2009 at 6:28 PM
    RBaptist

Member:
    Newnan, Ga
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner 4cyl SR5
    No insurance on the tire unfortunately. Tires came with the truck when I bought it used back in July. Bought it at a Toyota dealership and they put new tires on it as part of the bargaining chip. The entry looks fairly clean though. I'll run by Goodyear in the AM and see if it can be patched.

Try that jack JdKeller!!! It's cold out there right now and I am soooo glad I caught the flat before I hit the 50 mile stretch of interstate to my house!!

6. Jan 21, 2009 at 6:28 PM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars w/Thules ski and bike attachments, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, roadmaster active rear suspension, more when $$$ allows
    I've never had a problem with either the spare tire lift or the "stock" jack. I've had to change a tire a couple of times now. Dumb question but did you turn the top of the bottle jack first to raise it up before actually turning the crank part of it? It definitely won't fit if you haven't turned the top first.

7. Jan 21, 2009 at 6:29 PM
    jhodge83

jhodge83 Any dog under 50# is a cat and cats are useless... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 Timberland Mica DC 4WD Sport
    wat?
    holy shit....newnan, ga.....i lived in senoia and went to ECHS!! havent been back there in like 6-7 years

8. Jan 21, 2009 at 6:31 PM
    RBaptist

Member:
    Newnan, Ga
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner 4cyl SR5
    Stu....now I am kicking myself.....I was in front of a Home Depot and it didn't even occur to me to buy a 2X4 or 4X4 post instead of a NEW jack....I probably could have gotten a scrap piece for free....

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

9. Jan 21, 2009 at 6:31 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD 4x4
    i just use the hilift but i (knock on wood) havent had to change a flat on the side of the road...ever

10. Jan 21, 2009 at 6:34 PM
    Marc M

Marc M Dirty White Boy

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Washington, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD O/R Dbl-Cab
    TRD Cat-Back, TRD CAI, 3" Lift, ATX Chambers, Color matched Grille and Door Handles, Scooped Hood, GrillCraft upper and lower, DTRL, Foglight Mod, Redline Hood Struts, 20% Tint all around, SGII, Blacked out dash, Extang Full-Tilt, etc, etc, etc.
    The jack goes under the axle in the rear and possibly under the lower a-arm in the front. The owners manual should give you jack placement.

They wouldn't give you a jack if it wouldn't work on the stock setup.

Marc M

11. Jan 21, 2009 at 6:35 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra TRDRW
    Nada, Zip, Zilch, Nothing
    My stock bottle jack lifts my lifted Tacoma... hmm...

12. Jan 21, 2009 at 6:42 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Most amazing part of this story is you survived Waffle House!

13. Jan 21, 2009 at 6:43 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Easier to catch a fish with your tongue than get that &&$@*@#()@*Y$ rod thingee in the thingee hole!!!! I hope toyota's spare tire engineer is first to get laid off.

14. Jan 21, 2009 at 6:47 PM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Magnetic Grey Access Cab - 2.7L I4 - 4x2
    Makes me want to go try the jack... just to be sure.

15. Jan 21, 2009 at 7:08 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

16. Jan 21, 2009 at 9:04 PM
    RBaptist

Member:
    Newnan, Ga
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner 4cyl SR5
    j4,
    I checked the jack again and there is nothing to twist. It's just a standard run of the mill bottle jack. I see you have an 05. Perhaps they changed it on the 07s??

I'll try to shoot a pic of the whole rig tomorrow afternoon. I wouldn't have believed it either as Toyota seems to do a pretty good job otherwise. I plan on taking it to the Toyota service center tomorrow to have them "demo" it for me. Should be fun. I hope to at least get a new jack out of it since it is quite obvious that something isn't quite right. I'm guessing either the jack is defective and not fully extending or someone put the wrong one in the vehicle when it was built.

We'll see.

17. Jan 22, 2009 at 4:38 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    SBurl Vermont
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    RB, sounds like an adventure! Glad you got it done alas the sixty bux. Never can have enough floor jacks!

18. Jan 22, 2009 at 4:49 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra TRDRW
    Nada, Zip, Zilch, Nothing
    The factory bottle jacks have two parts to them. there is an "outer sleeve" and an "inner sleeve." Maybe yours is getting hung up before the inner sleeve can engage and go up further.

19. Jan 22, 2009 at 6:58 AM
    wildtrax1

wildtrax1 Active Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 TRD OffRoad
    I had a similar experience with my 2004 Toyota Solara except it was the lug wrench that didnt fit the lugs on the car(which was all stock). It was too small. Luckily when my flat occured i was at home and had a 4-way lug wrench in the garage. From then on I kept the 4-way in the trunk in case it ever happened again. I guess I need to get out my jack and everything else and try it out on my new 09 Tacoma and make sure it all works before I really need it on the side of the road.

20. Jan 22, 2009 at 7:22 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is gooder 'en chicken Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+250k AND COUNTING), 88 SR5 PU (SOLD), 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours
    1. If you lube the mechanical winch periodically and lower occasionally you won't have this problem.

2. I think the jack is supposed to go under the axle. There should be a radius in the top of the jack face for this purpose.

To Top