1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Tacoma continuously blows the tail light fuse. ANy idea why or where to start looking?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RunAround88, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Feb 13, 2017 at 5:06 PM
    RunAround88

RunAround88 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4dr 4wd TRD
    4.5"lift kit 18" wheels
    I have owned this Toyota Tacoma for about 4 months. Just this week it started blowing tail light fuses and won't quit. I do not run this truck off road,I use it mainly for transportation to and from the job. Any idea where to start looking for a problem?

Bfar264 and ChadsPride like this.
  2. Feb 13, 2017 at 5:17 PM
    RickG

RickG It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Member:
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Color matched grille, Access tonneau, OEM Temp/compass, De-badged, OEM hitch, Custom rear storage/dog deck, LED foot well lighting, Illuminated 4x4 switch
    Got the tow package? Maybe some damage to the trailer plug or harness causing a short?.

grizquad, ChadsPride and 3coma like this.
  3. Feb 13, 2017 at 5:18 PM
    Cb717cls

Cb717cls Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Have you ever removed the tail lights?

4. Feb 13, 2017 at 5:25 PM
    road2cycle

road2cycle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sonoma County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma DCLB 4x4 Limited
    I'd remove the taillight assembly and look for any loose wiring. Remove the bulbs from the sockets and examine the sockets and bulbs. Look under the truck for any signs the wiring harness running from the cab to the rear has been compromised.

TomTwo likes this.
  5. Feb 14, 2017 at 4:44 AM
    topcathr

topcathr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 limited
    You can replace the fuse with a light bulb or an old seatbelt buzzer. when you find the short the light will go out.........open the sockets and remove the bulbs
    check the towing plug if you have one. good luck.....

6. Feb 14, 2017 at 4:57 AM
    Hondah

Hondah Revelations 6:8

Member:
    Newnan, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '13 RC 4x4
    Just a little info; there is usually electrical grease that's used where the bulb connects. If its absent, then it can cause the bulb to short out. If you replaced a few of them, I'm sure there is none of that grease in the location.

For reference, I had an old chevy that did the same thing your describing, I put that grease in there, never have a problem again.

Just a thought, hope you get it sorted out!

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-22058-Dielectric-Tune-Up-Grease/dp/B000AL8VD2 <----link for reference to product.

ChadsPride likes this.
  7. Feb 14, 2017 at 11:16 AM
    hladun

hladun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Sounds like a loose wire causing a short. Any aftermarket wiring mods? If something has been removed the normal practise is to just cut wires and leave them hanging. Crappy workmanship.

ChadsPride likes this.
  8. Feb 14, 2017 at 11:44 AM
    road2cycle

road2cycle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sonoma County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma DCLB 4x4 Limited

ChadsPride likes this.
  9. Feb 14, 2017 at 1:31 PM
    Pork Chopper

Pork Chopper Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4
    Too much dirt/grime on the connectors can also cause it short.

10. May 14, 2018 at 10:10 AM
    20somethingwidataco

20somethingwidataco Yes, my avatar is a real car.

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    ACLB 6 SPEED: Suspension: Bilstein 6112s (3rd perch) (F) Taco Lean Spacer Bilstein 5160s (R) TSB Leaf Pack Wheelers Offroad 3 leaf progressive AAL Wheelers Superbump Front Duro Bump U bolt flip kit Duro Bump progressive bump stop 3rd gen TRD offroad sway bar Wheels and Tires: Summit Racing Wheel Dakars (Polished Silver) 285/70r/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrax (Load D) "Performance": AFE CAI with custom powdercoated white filter cover MagnaFlow Performance Series Exhaust URD Cam gears XTP Intake Manifold Spacer OTT Torque Tune Brakes: Stoptech Slotted Rotors Stoptech Sport Ultra Composite Brake Pads Wheelers offroad SS brakelines (Front) Interior: Kenwood DD headunit Oem Subaru Kicker Tweeters Alpine 6x9 (Front) & 6.5 (rear) (With Taco tunes speaker mounts) Alpine 500 watt amp Sound Deadening (Doors, Rear "wall", Roof) ODI Rouge Shift Knob Weather Tech Mats Painted/wrapped trim pieces Console Safe Console Vault Gridx Organizer Ram Phone Mount Meso Customs dual color map lights Meso Customs dual color dome light Wet Okole seat covers (Black) Wet Okole center console cover (Black) 1" Seat Raisers (Driver & Passenger) AJT Designs climate control and 4x4 knobs Back Up Camera Lighting: Retrofits (Mini H1's, RGB Halos, 5500k Bulbs)(Lenses wrapped in self healing PPF) Diode Dynamics SS3 Max SAE (Yellow) Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro (Yellow) Driving lights Anytime fog mod Rigid Industries E series 32" Combo bar (spot/flood) Diode Dynamics XPR Reverse Lights Diode Dynamics XP80 turn signals LED brake, parking lights and license plate lights Armor: Apex All Pro sliders BPF steel skid plate Bigass Trailer Hitch Camping/Storage: Leer canopy LED interior lighting Sleeping platform (Storage underneath) Removable snowboard Yakima mounts Extra D rings in bed (6 total) Custom Powder coated white snow shovel with custom bedrail mounts Amazon special Traction Boards Hi Lift 48" Jack with custom Rail mounts to accommodate my sleeper set up Other: All pro Bed Stiffeners Relentless Fab tailgate panel TRD sport graphics (Turd Gen spec) Anti Sun glare hood scoop wrap (Satin Black) Custom FleeBay grille 4 Hella supertones ECGS needle bearing Many Patches BPF shackle mount (With smittybuilt shackle) Tinted windows (Front/Rear + Full canopy)(18%) Meso Customs gasshole AVS inchannel window visors Diff Breather Kit 2012-2015 Oem Turn signal/folding mirrors (w/ sequential signals) 2012-2015 Oem LED taillights Full Size (285/70r17) spare DIY Larger Engine Splash Guards DIY Vipercut
    Mine started doing this too. After I switched to led. But the first bulb lasted about 5 months before it blew, now the second lasted about 2 weeks. The 3rd lasted a day

DANGERMONEY likes this.
  11. May 16, 2018 at 8:43 PM
    TheDoctor9257

TheDoctor9257 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Laguna Niguel
    Vehicle:
    Slice of Life (2008 Tacoma TRD Off Road)
    All Pro Front and Rear bumper with a warn vr12000 winch, King Mid Travel with front and rear adjusters, Rigid Pods, Viar Ultra On-Board Air, Siberian Express Train Horn
    Had the same problem. The harness that connects to the tow connector was shot. And very dirty...

12. May 17, 2018 at 6:56 AM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    Which fuse/amperage is blowing?? Is the blown fuse "vaporize" or just burned open?

I'm looking at a 2006 wiring diagram. Remember to check the 3rd stop light on your cab. You may want to pull this to inspect as well.

In summary - the power runs through a 10A brake fuse to brake switch on top of brake pedal. Then it branches to two places - the VSC/brake control relay which I'll ignore for now - and also from the brake switch directly to the two rear stop lights AND the 3rd stop light. 10a is a decent amount of power so I'd be looking at for a wire shorting to frame.

13. Jul 18, 2018 at 11:30 AM
    68/bushman

68/bushman New Member

Member:
    it been doing that to me burn my fuse. since I cut off my towing Plug .because inside was all rusted out . I even unplug my harness just before the y .and I still burn fuse. any suggestion

14. Jul 18, 2018 at 11:34 AM
    CouchlessPotato

CouchlessPotato Handcuffed to steering wheels still won firefights

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    You don't buy a truck for its fucking fenders!
    2.5" lift w/35's
    Put a bigger fuse in it!:bananadance:

Jk don't do that its a bad idea, check the wiring for the lights, could be a bare wire touching the frame somewhere.

15. Jul 18, 2018 at 2:41 PM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    If it's the trailer wiring - I just but new trailer wire bundle and re run new wire. USe the old wire to pull the new wire flat through. Which fuse in blowing ??

16. Feb 3, 2019 at 12:44 AM
    Bfar264

Bfar264 New Member

Member:
    OP, what did the problem and solution end up being? Having Same issue on my 2007 tacamo. Fuse just blows everytime. Brake light and turn signals work fine, but not tail light.

17. Feb 3, 2019 at 4:43 AM
    badzook

badzook Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    Off Road
    If you have a Towing Package.... Put a test light in place of the blowing fuse. It should light up if there is a short.. Then, Un Plug the Trailer Plug Connector near the spare tire... If the light goes out you have have found the short. If not Keep Looking.. Unplug each tail light one connector at a time.... I have seen bad light bulbs blow fuses.. The Filament leans over internally causing a short... (ie. Made in China Bulbs and YES Toyota Uses Chinese Bulbs from the factory. I almost fell over when changing my Headlight on a 2018 4Runner and it found was made in China...Damn it.. makes me wonder what else is on that truck I need to worry about.. ) ...

I do have a more drastic and dangerous method to find shorts but will save it for later...

Please post back and let us know what you find..

18. Feb 3, 2019 at 5:31 AM
    JRVfromDVT

JRVfromDVT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Access Cab
    If you have an aftermarket bumper that required different plate lights check those too. Had the same problem a month ago and a worn down wire going to the plate lights was the culprit.

b_r_o likes this.
  19. Feb 3, 2019 at 6:03 AM
    Jethro 2.0

Jethro 2.0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM SR5
    On my third gen I had a similar issue with constantly blowing fuses after I was at the boat launch pulling my boat out and didn’t have my trailer wires unplugged while the trailer was submerged. I had LED bulbs in the license plate lights and after chasing the issue I determined that one of those bulbs was fried and causing a short. I’d vote for a bulb issue somewhere causing a short like others have suggested. Get some spare fuses and start unplugging stuff and re-plugging in stuff to chase down the issue. Good luck!

20. Aug 22, 2019 at 4:36 PM
    GregoryS10

GregoryS10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Casper WY
    Vehicle:
    2015 tacoma TRD off-road
    Anyone got any other ideas what to unplug to check? I've done both tail lights the trailer wiring harness, the backup lights by the license plate, even did the DRLs (not sure if that even has anything to do with it but it blows when I flip the DLRs on)??

Products Discussed in

To Top