1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tundy, house and beetle build thread...and exploring.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Stig, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Jun 20, 2018 at 5:23 PM
    alee891

alee891 Destination: unknown

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    NoCo
    Vehicle:
    Tacomaless
    It's a shitty deal for you as the builder, and I hope they get their ducks in row before you jump ship. Unfortunately, you're in middle earth and things likely move at a snails pace out there. For the statement between you and Jason regarding insp / engineering, enough can't be said in that regard. I deal with engineers that "engineer" locations from a 10,000ft desktop view and a past template. Not once do they step foot on location to assess a single thing. Direction of flow? Who gives a fuck. Then it's always up to environmental (i.e. me) to perform cowboy field engineering and make everything peachy when a stripper and dozer decide they want to rip everything up. Friggin' politics I tell ya. It's just a dick measuring contest between operator and contractors in my line of work - and at the end of the day environmental always has to fall on the sword. Pays well I guess and I'm outside each day :notsure:

2. Jun 20, 2018 at 5:30 PM
    Stig

Stig [OP] Resident smartass

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    I hear ya.. But it's the same with every profession. People at the top don't have any idea what actually goes on where the magic happens.

I just heard that park county is over 200 in line for plan reviews. So im just going to give up for now and hope i get a call back in a few weeks. If i had plans ready to submit now....i bet they are 3-4 months out at a good estimate.

Earlier this year (Feb i think) we applied for a permit to redo decking only. No structural changes, just pull deck boards and put new ones on. Owners wanted a permit for it. We were told 6-8 weeks out and it ended up taking close to 10 weeks for those retards to "review" that.

I'm 45 minutes away to knowing if ill have another side project to keep me busy, since i don't have enough already. And I'm hoping to do a 2 week deployment in July which I'd LOVE to be on my property before then. But it's not looking great.

alee891[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Jun 22, 2018 at 2:30 PM
    Stig

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    Tracked down the inspector before she went out into the field. Said she wanted gravel on top of the piping and said there was a foot section of piping that wasnt fully supported by dirt. Seriously.. you'd fail an inspection for that... :frusty: Its pretty clear that it will be put in before I backfill. Doubt I'd skip out on a few hours of labor to make the system not work well.

Today I sucked it up and moved about 3 tons of gravel by hand. Neighbor came over near the end and dumped the rest into the hole which helped quite a bit. He also filled in my electric trench. Went and got another bit of gravel, it was too close for comfort knowing I have to deal with an inspector that thinks nit picking proves they are intelligent.

My next side project beetle I was watching on ebay went slightly higher than my limit I set for myself. First time I stuck to one of those! Haha. It wasn't running or I would've went over. Emailed on a few CL ones... no responses.

Thinking about building another shed in front of the other one, and put a paved area in the middle so I can have a temp garage. Then I can put a temporary roof/wall on that and I'd have a spot to work. With the temporary/removable middle section, I wont have a large permanent structure if someone whines....something like those large shade materials would work for me if they were somewhat wind resistant. Now I just need to find a few jobs that'll have supplies that I can use for the structure. Probably have enough for the roof right now.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    alee891, Deathbysnusnu and Slashaar like this.
  4. Jun 24, 2018 at 7:00 PM
    Stig

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    The feeling of having spare time again is great... one benefit of waiting on other people without having a list of stuff that is needing to be addressed. Still have a ton I can work on, but the power/septic were my really need to be done items. I had two weekend days that I could do whatever I wanted!

So I went out and explored the back yard and did some hiking and camped. Explored a few mines in the area... noted some that need further exploration. I found a crushed mining cart inside one which was pretty sweet but no gold nuggets. Goal for this summer is at least hike to the peaks of all of the 13k+ mountains in the immediate area since the 14ers get all the attention. Planned to do an out and back on a few of them today but the unexplored route I chose led me to a dead end of steep cliffs on top of an already very steep slope so I chose to attack from another route on another day.

36003174_10100139069014285_8142189061755_c747896d6888ffac17cf09b986b5684bfb28b6a8.jpg

Truck got some pin stripes, first "body damage" from a steep drop into a river crossing but Its mostly fixed, just needs a little sanding and touch up paint.

On the home front, tomorrow I think I'm picking up a ton of windows that are in good condition so I can use them for a greenhouse.

Got a little more active with my shoulder last week and realized that it feels like its healed from the dirt bike wreck so I started back on a gym plan... hope to be able to stick with it. Time to do some work on the house floor plan so its ready to send over to the architect when I feel like spending that wad of cash.

Slashaar and alee891 like this.
  5. Jun 24, 2018 at 11:32 PM
    Slashaar

Slashaar Trail Limo Supreme & Certified Hole Massager

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD-Sport DC LB
    Coastal HC Front, 6112s+650lb King Coils, JD 62 Swap + 14" Fox 2.0s
    For some reason I read that first line as "Spare Tire", and I was concerned as to why you were missing one. It's been a long day.

Stig[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  6. Jun 25, 2018 at 8:10 AM
    alee891

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    NoCo
    Vehicle:
    Tacomaless
    So what happened with the bike crash? I must’ve missed that.

7. Jun 25, 2018 at 2:06 PM
    Stig

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    Friday before i went to Kauai... Went riding down by BV. Borrowed a bike that wasn't set up for me at all. Had a blast and combo of being tired, looking for the shifter and i low sided art a decent speed. Broken big toe and shoulder was pretty sore.

Broke in all the brand new riding gear. I think i had the boots too loose, toe was able to go forward and hit the front of the boot.

alee891[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Jun 25, 2018 at 8:23 PM
    Stig

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    I've been told that I'm a glutton for punishment...

0625182005.jpg

Eight 6x6 windows and 12 smaller ones. So apparently i will build a greenhouse after all.

Going to drop it 2-3 feet into the ground for some insulation. Set two of the 6x6s as each side wall, a door on the front and windows stacked alongside. Back/north wall will be metal or wood and bright white sheeting on inside.

alee891, Deathbysnusnu and Slashaar like this.
  9. Jun 26, 2018 at 7:11 AM
    alee891

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    NoCo
    Vehicle:
    Tacomaless
    “Greenhouse” (what happened to the Marley emoji??)

Stig[OP] likes this.
  10. Jun 26, 2018 at 1:15 PM
    Stig

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    Haha. I have better things to do with my time. :p

11. Jul 3, 2018 at 9:52 PM
    Stig

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    Long time... not much progress.

But the septic passed, I had the free weekend and there were no excavators available for the next few weekends. Decided it was a half day today since there was one available. Picked that up and got it mostly backfilled. Need to do cleanup tomorrow as well as dig out for the greenhouse.

Theres a 10k acre wildfire going in the area for a little excitement. It looks like its dying out as long as winds keep cooperating.

Still not set on a floorplan. Due to the backlog in permitting, I'm looking into the possibility of building a small cabin style house, possibly even a studio setup with 1 bed and maybe room for bunks that way I can get that through and have that framed in a few days vs something that will take longer and more cash up front. That would give me a better place to hang out over winter instead of the camper. Standalone pole barn would come next or would be part of that permit, then I could add the main house afterwards and make this a small guest house. Just need to make sure there are loopholes that I can get those both done as one house. I've been told attaching them with a deck will make it "one house" so I need to check with the planner on that.

Slashaar likes this.
  12. Jul 5, 2018 at 6:58 AM
    CO MTN Steve

CO MTN Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    RaMbLiN' CoLoRaDo
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco DCSB Blue
    Lifted, Armored, needs more lights.
    So Brandon, given all these Permit issues if you had to do it again would you go Land and new build or find something with a place and go Renovation permit?

13. Jul 5, 2018 at 10:38 AM
    Stig

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    I'd loved to have found something to renovate but you're still paying increased prices.

I would've just purchased in a county that wasn't shitty in the building department. I've debated selling my lot and jumping over to something in BV.

But if i finish any build on my lot, I'm looking at 250% roi on something that I'll own outright so there's that enticement.

14. Jul 5, 2018 at 12:22 PM
    CO MTN Steve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    RaMbLiN' CoLoRaDo
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco DCSB Blue
    is BV better? All I hear and have expereinced down here (with Hot water heater) is total Pain in the ass, they are doing you a favor kind of treatment.

15. Jul 5, 2018 at 2:26 PM
    Stig

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    Chaffee seems to be more lenient as far as not being moronic where park is backed up and nit picky about stupid things that just creates more work for them...like not letting people know the status of their inspection. Park is well known for being behind and slow to approve plans.

On one of the last places that had hidden rooms and such... That passed framing and now C.O., they knew it was all done right vs being "let me prove what i know" and fail you because i hate my life.

And BV > Fairplay any day.

16. Jul 11, 2018 at 6:03 PM
    CO MTN Steve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    RaMbLiN' CoLoRaDo
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco DCSB Blue
    Just came across this and thought you might be interested, of course trump is making lumber go through the Roof :D

https://youtu.be/pjzC8NFboXA

Slashaar likes this.
  17. Jul 11, 2018 at 9:12 PM
    Stig

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    My 56k internet doesn't seem to want to load that.. Have to check it out tomorrow while working.

My progress is still just crawling.

Needed a 10 gauge extension cord for hooking up the septic box and pump. Figured a local place would have it and wasted another week. Tried three stores with no luck, it'll be here tomorrow from Amazon.

Still debating on house plans and not really overly motivated other than finishing the septic for now. Might have a bunch of work coming up, need to plan a vacation before that. :)

alee891 and CO MTN Steve[QUOTED] like this.
  18. Jul 19, 2018 at 9:04 PM
    Stig

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    Nothing but bouncing around with house plans... and wants to jump over to the BV side of the mosquito range.

But I decided (i think) to go ahead with plans and get them started. Just emailed the architect to get the ball rolling on my house and a spec house thats also been in delay for months due to realtor issues for a lot. Im not having much luck with the property side of things this year! The spec house plans are also being tossed back and forth. I am leaning for something that'll support a middle class household vs a luxury/vacation house like the last one. I'd rather see a house be used by a family instead of a 5th home that'll just be an AirBNB.

Plans for mi casa will change slightly. I'm just wanting something quick and easy that I can get finished and into by winter. So I'm going minimalist and doing a 1bed/ba house ~900sf or less. Once I'm done waiting on permitting, get the foundation in, I'll bet we can have it framed, roofed and completely dried in in a week.

Perks of going small... much cheaper and faster. I'll also be able to splurge and insulate the hell out of it and do nice finishes that wont cost much since there wont by a large quantity. Also, sooner I finish it, the sooner I can try and build and rent out smaller houses to those who need it. I just want some decent storage for gear, a small workshop area since I wont have a garage. Kitchen will be fairly large and the rest basic. Plenty of natural light, and something I'll be able to test out some geothermal and other natural types of heating with as time rolls on.

Garage will still come, but I know if I add a garage to this, I wont want a 1 car... a 2 car will double the footprint, and slow down progress. So I'll likely have a large garage in the works soon after the house is done. And I'll probably have some sort of temporary shelter as well.

alee891 and Deathbysnusnu like this.
  19. Jul 19, 2018 at 9:47 PM
    Deathbysnusnu

Deathbysnusnu Work is just a daily detour to happy hour.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Fort Crawlins, CO
    Vehicle:
    Vintage Tundra
    Dog, camper.
    Small house, big garage. :thumbsup:

CO MTN Steve and Stig[OP] like this.
  20. Jul 19, 2018 at 10:13 PM
    Stig

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    Yup, always been my thought process. Wanted a second bedroom for company, but they can have the couch.

Although I'll likely build a log cabin just because i want to (under 200sf for no permit), so that can be for visitors. :D

Deathbysnusnu[QUOTED] likes this.
To Top