1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My tow mirror and brake controller solutions on 2017 Tacoma

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Longhiker, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Jul 22, 2017 at 1:50 PM
    Longhiker

Longhiker [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Cedar City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver TRD Off Road
    OEM XSP Grill, Front & side wind deflectors, Bed Mat, Led Light Package, All Weather Mats, Mudguards, TRD exhaust tip, Ionic Running Boards
    Due to the lack of replacement tow mirrors for the Tacoma and the fact I did not like any of the aftermarket mirrors I decided to install a 21st century solution. Pictures are attached for the 7” display that fits over the rear view mirror which is not used while towing and the adjustable video camera attached to my Venture Sonic 19’ travel trailer. Not shown in the pictures is the 12V 2.4MHz wireless video transmitter and receiver. Power for the wireless receiver and video display were taken from the rear view mirror supply and the wireless receiver and wiring were placed in the voids on either side of the upper console housing. For best wireless reception the antenna for the transmitter and receiver should be orientated in the same direction (mine are both horizontal). I have good wireless reception even when I am about 20’ in front of the RV. I am sure there will be areas of interference but they should be minor. This setup allows me to see what is behind me as well as most of the area within about 10’ of the rear bumper of the RV. I could aim the camera down more to see right behind the RV but I want to see way behind me so I can anticipate what is coming up on me from behind. Other than the time involved, the total cost for the camera display, wireless transmitter/receiver and adjustable camera was less than $75 with suppliers on eBay. Now I can see what is behind me just by looking in the rear view mirror (video display) without having a monitor stuck someplace on the dash or center console.
    P1060430.jpg
    P1060431.jpg P1060432.jpg P1060433.jpg P1060441.jpg P1060442.jpg
    While there have been lots of threads on brake controllers, most of them require placement that is a compromise at best and most are very difficult to reach if you needed to use the manual brake feature. While the Tenkosha P2 or P3 will fit nicely in the cubby behind y the steering wheel in the left dash, I wanted to keep this spot for add-on switches at a later time. I chose to use the InSight brake controller that has a separate display and manual brake control that plug in to a central box by separate cables. Using Velcro I attached the monitor on the steering column housing so it can be seen between the dash gauges and Velcro-ed the manual brake control just forward of the emergency brake handle within easy reach of the driver. The control box was Velcro-ed under the dash on the side of the center console. The monitor is easy to see as it is in the line of sight of the dash gauges and I can easily reach the manual brake control if it was ever needed. Pictures of the completed installation are attached. I have also included a picture of the mounted Hayes Sway Master box on the trailer tongue which will automatically apply the trailer brakes proportional to the speed you are doing if it senses any sway in the trailer. Awesome concept to pull the trailer back in line automatically without operator intervention!!

P1060434.jpg P1060435.jpg P1060436.jpg P1060437.jpg P1060438.jpg P1060439.jpg Hayes Sway Master.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    SLeeper512 likes this.
  2. Jul 29, 2017 at 6:53 PM
    airsavage

airsavage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Butch
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Sport 4x4 MGM, 2000 Prerunner
    Great write-up. I think you have some great ideas. Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top