1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

my TRD CAI arrives today

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by silverbullet05, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Aug 23, 2008 at 6:39 PM
    silverbullet05

silverbullet05 [OP] OnTheDarkSideOfTheMoon

Member:
    First Name:
    SlickRick
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    BLACK 09 DC 4x4 TRD OFF ROAD
    Icon Coilovers, Icon Rear Res. Shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, Fabtech AAL, TRD CAI, KMC XD Enduros, 285's BFG KM2; Demello Sliders, Full Budbuilt Skid Set
    I dont have a video camera. I will see if I can come up with a way to get that done for you. I would almost say to just have them put on the trd cuz its stainless and they shouldnt have tried to sneak it by you. It would suck if you ended up wanted the other one after the swap. check youtube they have a ton of sound clips of flow 40's. good luck whatever you choose to do.

2. Aug 25, 2008 at 4:31 PM
    Bamban

Bamban Active Member

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab 4x4 SB 4.0L
    TRD Cat back, TRD codl air induction,
    thanks for the input.

they willingly swapped the exhaust. the trd is fine, a milder at idle and cruizing at 2K RPM or lower

thanks for the tip on you tube, i listened to a few

3. Aug 26, 2008 at 12:07 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Keep the stock parts and remember to swap it out when the smog check comes due. It'll fail the visual inspection.

4. Nov 18, 2008 at 7:59 PM
    notbrigum

notbrigum Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chandler AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab 4x4
    TRD intake, Magnaflow exhaust, billet grille, tube steps
    Are you sure about this? I'm not. You can order the Tacoma w/the TRD parts new, from the factory. They obviously can't sell the truck new if it's illegal.
    My Supra had the same filter (it's a K&N filter) and I passed AZ inspections. Perhaps another case of different laws for different states? Anyone know?

5. Nov 18, 2008 at 10:32 PM
    silverbullet05

Member:
    First Name:
    SlickRick
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Icon Coilovers, Icon Rear Res. Shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, Fabtech AAL, TRD CAI, KMC XD Enduros, 285's BFG KM2; Demello Sliders, Full Budbuilt Skid Set
    Its a tip for us cali members. we have tough emission laws. not sure about other states. Might be worth researching. As a rule I usually keep all of the stock stuff.

6. Nov 19, 2008 at 6:06 AM
    notbrigum

Member:
    Chandler AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab 4x4
    Keeping stock stuff? I feel like a pack rat again! I've got boxes of Supra stuff and I've only had this Tacoma for 6 weeks and parts are falling off it! Seems the factory airbox and intake tube fell off just in time for the new TRD intake (so now they're in a box in the garage and they're big!) and last night the UPS man showed up again. Isn't he better than Santa? Santa just comes once a year. UPS comes every time I get off ebay. :D He must have known my exhaust was about to fall of too as he brought me a new Magnaflow cat back. Guess Sat PM is booked now. But what do I do with the orig exhaust? Stick it in a box and keep it? For what reason? Just 'in case'? Anyone want a 6 week old factory exhaust? REeeaaalll cheap.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Nov 19, 2008 at 6:46 PM
    silverbullet05

Member:
    First Name:
    SlickRick
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    yeah I let the muffler shop have my old one. no use for that and a muffler is cheap. the cai is a quick swap out and easy to store. my old trd billies and uca's are kept in case I trade in for a 4x4. or incase some one wants them for a quick lift to a stock taco.

8. Nov 19, 2008 at 7:51 PM
    pargenz

pargenz Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 TRD Sport
    Great info in this thread. Does installing a CAI, entire catback or just a performance muffler affect the manufacturer's warranty in any adverse way?

9. Nov 19, 2008 at 8:17 PM
    notbrigum

Member:
    Chandler AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab 4x4
    Don't know for sure. It shouldn't IF they're TRD parts and honestly these intake and exhaust pieces are basically the same things. There's no reason any of it SHOULD if properly installed. I asked the shop foreman at my dealership about the intake and exhaust and he said it didn't effect anything at all. What he SAYS and what Toyota DOES might be different if backed into a corner but the TRD parts at least can be ordered on the vehicle new. You can also walk in the Parts Dept and buy them and the Service Dept will install them if needed. Factory parts install by factory technicians. No problems. Besides, I THINK, that if they refuse to cover what would be a normal warranted repair because of aftermarket parts, the onus of proof falls on them to proove that your parts caused the damage. Intake and Exhaust systems just allow your engine to breath a bit easier, make a bit more power. Why doesn't the factory put them on all cars? They're noisier too.

Products Discussed in

To Top