1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My truck is Timberland Mica??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Raylo, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Feb 20, 2010 at 7:05 AM
    Raylo

Raylo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    Until I washed it yesterday I thought it was a new color called salt gray. This cycle of changing colors will probably repeat about a dozen more times as the massive piles of snow here melt over the next month or so... or even longer if we get more. :-(

2. Feb 20, 2010 at 7:06 AM
    bluecluee

bluecluee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD OR Timberland Mica
    5100's Set at 1.75
    It's been a rough Maryland winter. I feel ya.

3. Feb 20, 2010 at 7:08 AM
    dman597

dman597 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    maryland
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4X4 SPORT w/Tow
    6" Pro Comp Lift,295-75-R17,access rollup,Tint,front hitch,nfab step bars
    i hate whenit snows here in md. they put WAY
    to much salt on the road.

4. Feb 20, 2010 at 7:10 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Thank god up here in the Pac NW they have determined salt to be too hazardous to the environment. So we get sand. Fun.

5. Feb 20, 2010 at 8:15 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    The use of salt also has much to do with the temperature. If it get's below 18 degrees, the salt doesn't work.

That's probably why you get sand instead of salt.......

6. Feb 20, 2010 at 8:25 AM
    dexterdog

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Unfortunately, it's the environment and how the runoff affects the salmon runs. It usually doesn't get very cold here. Believe me, I would be fine with the use of salt on the roads. Sand does very little. At least they could use a sand/salt mix it would be a lot better.

7. Feb 20, 2010 at 8:44 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Ok then....

Just seems odd since we have the Chesapeake Bay at our footsteps, and about 95% of the Rockfish (striped bass) in the world are spawned in the Chesapeake...... I would think the "tree huggers" would have similar concerns here as well.

8. Feb 20, 2010 at 8:51 AM
    Raylo

Raylo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    Dexter is talking about salt getting into fresh water salmon streams. That could cause some serious problems. Perhaps the salt isn't so bad getting into a brackish estuary like the Chesapeake? And some of the salt will probably get held up and filtered out into the soil in the watershed. Even so most jurisdictions avoid dumping snow w/salt directly into rivers and bays whether they be salt or fresh. I'm not sure what all the env concerns are but I am gonna have to look it up. I would recommend against reflexively sneering at such things unless/until you look at it in detail.

9. Feb 20, 2010 at 4:53 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    a decade or 2 ago here in Calif, they stopped using salt due to environmental concerns because it was killing the trees along the highways. Maybe that's more of the situation in the Pac NW? At some point, they started using it again, but in very limited circumstances (overpasses mainly or if there are extreme instances where a lot of accidents are occurring). I wish they sanded the roads here, but in fact Calif uses cinders. Thus, you get a lot of BIG chunks on the road for every tire to fling up at everyone else.

10. Feb 20, 2010 at 5:05 PM
    dexterdog

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    It mostly has to do with the salmon. East of the mountains there are hardly any trees to talk about and sand is still used.

Products Discussed in

To Top