1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Truck Learned a "Bad Habit"

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by loyalistdsw, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Mar 24, 2010 at 4:34 AM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    Read your own advice. Vehicle ECUs (computers) have been doing this for YEARS. It is called many things by different makers including adaptive memory. Electronic transmissions systems do it and you can see the adaptive values on some makes of vehicles where they even learn the time and projected fluid volume to make an accurate shift.

The OP has a 2010. There was a point in production where the production line was updated with the new software to cover the transmission TSB. If the dealer checked his software level and it was current, a reset of adaptive memory would likely have been the next step taken.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, just not their own facts.
    Perhaps in some cases "Comments from Vegas should stay in Vegas"

Enough said

( I know the tone of this sounds harsh. This is not my normal style but this post reply really struck me wrong. While I agree that there is a lot of misinformation on the net, in this case it was GOOD information that was being called out. Pet peeve. Peace )

2. Mar 24, 2010 at 6:50 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    The TSB will only affect the way the computer responds to the driver's inputs, it will still learn your driving style and shift accordingly (based on the TSB).

3. Mar 24, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    There is a lot mis info. on this board because of people like you, not me. If I don't know something I don't comment, I strongly suggest you do the same.

4. Mar 25, 2010 at 7:40 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    toyota calls it ECT-i. the "i" stands for intelligence, and yes, the shift computer will "learn" your driving habit and adapt shift patterns accordingly. disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes will "reset" it, and it will again try to adjust to your driving style. don't believe it...try it.

5. Mar 25, 2010 at 7:52 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    hes not being bs'd this is true, the comps in our trucks adjust to your driving habbits, so that if you are stepping on it lots it will take a long time to shift.

6. Mar 25, 2010 at 8:10 AM
    bigburrito

bigburrito Local Man

Member:
    DuPage County
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD OR
    Demello sliders, fog lights anytime, 265/75R16 Duratracs, 60" HiLift, VIAIR OBA 2.5 gallon tank, FM Super 44, TSB springs, 5100s at .85, bent tailgate
    wouldnt "stepping on it" make the truck learn to shift faster/harder?

i typically drive like my 90 year old grandma, and the truck shifts normal when i drive normally (slow). when i "step on it", the truck almost seems confused- it usually does a slow and awkward downshift then starts to hustle. i think ill do the battery disconnect tonight, romp the truck around for a few weeks and see if theres a difference. this could be an interesting expirement.

7. Mar 25, 2010 at 8:11 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    idk for certain because I have a 6 spd, but I would assume if you are driving aggressively that its going to shift slower to put less strain on the tranny.

8. Mar 25, 2010 at 12:14 PM
    M2M

M2M Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    bilstiens, sport 08 w/o scoop, debadged
    I only hope that the truck's smarter than me !

9. Mar 25, 2010 at 1:02 PM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    Here is some stuff I found on the InterWeb:

-----------------------------------
    Document Number: 900550 Date Published: February 1990

Author(s):
    Tadashi Kondo - Toyota Motor Corp.
    Kunihiro Iwatsuki - Toyota Motor Corp.
    Yutaka Taga - Toyota Motor Corp.
    Takao Taniguchi - Aisin AW Co., Ltd.
    Abstract:
    Toyota has developed a new automatic transmission, called the A341E. This transmission employs a unique engine and transmission integrated intelligent control system named "ECT-i", and a high performance "Super Flow" Torque Converter.
    This control system is capable of total control of engine torque and clutch hydraulic pressure during shifting, which has resulted in very smooth shift without changes over the life of the transmission.
    The "Super Flow" Torque Converter has a modified geometry optimized by the analysis of internal flow by means of computer simulations, attaining the highest efficiency in the world. With the use of such systems, this new automatic transmission has improved total performance of the vehicle.

-----------------------------------

10. Mar 25, 2010 at 1:24 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    my transmission always seems to shift just the way i want it.

once again, manual transmission for the win

11. Mar 25, 2010 at 1:30 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Step 1) Apologize to the guy with the right information
    Step 2) Open Mouth
    Step 3) Insert Foot

It's been said- Cars have been adjusting shifting points based on driver for a long while. They also adjust AFRs, and put the engine in limp mode when damaged. Cars ECUs are VERY sophisticated.

And with a manual 6 speed shifter- Never an issue.

12. Mar 25, 2010 at 1:40 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    If there is a perceived problem with the shifting points, be persistent and don't give up. If they did do the TSB they would tell you and your paperwork will have stated something about a ECM recalibration.

Mine said: "RECALIBRATE ECM OP CODE EG9036" But I have an '09 so yours will most likely be a different code.

13. Mar 25, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Is it possible that since your truck is an 2010 that it already has the new software for the shifting points which to the best of my knowledge is what they are installing when they do the tranny shifting re flash , so they just re flashed your computer to reset it to default to give it a chance to re learn your shifting patterns ?

OZ

14. Mar 25, 2010 at 3:39 PM
    renmauzo

renmauzo Member

Member:
    Arizona.
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC LB in Timberland Mica.
    So guys, did my own test. Unhooked my transmission for around 4 hours while I was home, then reconnected before I left again. (This was a while back.) I did this because of the transmission TSB I got taken care of for the rough ride/1-2 shifting problem. Here's an excerpt of what I wrote into my notes (yes, I keep a notebook in my vehicle with information on every oil change, fill-up, and change I make):

2-3-2010: Shifting passive. Drives like a f***ing granny. Will accelerate harder.
    2-5-2010: Shifting has become more aggressive, chunking. Drive like a granny.
    2-9-2010: Even keel. Check rear drums for squeaking.
    2-10-2010: Excessive dust in rear drum at ODO 7493. Clean every 5k. Shifting neutral. Maintain steady habit, have steady truck.

SO, I write this stuff for a reason and now I realize why. I don't think the truck LEARNS, per say. I think that as you're driving it it's calibrating the resolution of the throttle. I distinctly remember that when mashing to the floor consistently, throttle response was instantaneous, and vice versa.

The way I see it is like this:

If the default throttle has 1024 points of resolution, I'd imagine that driving like a little old lady might keep that high resolution whereas a harder pedal usage may just drop the degree of throttle to a point where it's closer to ON/OFF.

Just an observation.

BTW: I notice that a lot of people are using fuelly.com. Should I put my fill-ups on there, too?

15. Mar 25, 2010 at 3:43 PM
    blackwidow2009

blackwidow2009 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4X4 TRD w/ SR5
    2.5" front lift Daystar coilover spacer. 2.5" rear lift add-a-leaf N-Fab wheel to wheel nerf/step bar Polished Stainless Leer cap from my 2000 Tacoma --- It does fit; don't let them lie to you

I am not experiencing any issues with my truck where I need to re-set the computers. However, I am sure that Tacoma's are no different then other vehicles with adaptive/learning/inteligent (whatever the manufature calls it) trany/computer. I had a car, a piece of shit car!, anyways, it too had a learning trany. ( I bought it new in 1996) So speaking from experience...the computer will always "learn" your driving style. Not a bad thing. Once you re-set your computer by un-hooking the batter, your computer will start to relearn you. But once it "does", it will still be taking info from your driving style and adjust (whatever it adjusts) if you change.

Like I said it is good. Think about it, if you live in Kansas, then move to San Fransissco (spelling, I know), your driving will change. But it does not change fast, it monitors for a while, for sure several hundred miles, maybe even a couple thousand miles (depends on manufacture) befor it does actually "change". So a vaction will not mess with the computer.

I say all this, because if your having hard shifting, that my be what the computer "thinks" you need. And if you re-set the computer, and drive differently on purpose to make it "learn" to react differently, in time once you return to your normally driving, the computer may switch back to the hard shifting. So you may have to do this process over several times. Then again you may not; hard to predict exactly how a learning computer will react.

16. Mar 25, 2010 at 3:47 PM
    xpdishun

xpdishun Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    10 AC SR5 4x4 6MT V6
    Yeah, I love it. You can text your data in (miles, price, and gallons) and it will text you back the info and put it on the website. Pretty sweet for that alone.

17. Mar 25, 2010 at 4:00 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    I don't have this truck or transmission or this problem, but remember the good old days when you could push harder or softer on something (say, for insantance, a gas pedal or a brake pedal) and it was connected to something else, and that thing would do whatever you wanted it to? Man, those were the days. All I needed was my brain, feet, and hands.

Rather than making computers that second-guess what we want to do, what if they spent all this time and effort making springs and cupholders that work, and clutches that don't squeak, instead? That would be cool.

If Microsoft ever gets involved in this vehicle software, we are all going to die very quickly. Here comes the paper clip: "It looks like you want to drive a truck..." or "I'm sorry, but I am going to stop steering in the middle of this turn. OK?"

MSN88longbed likes this.
  18. Mar 25, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    06aztaco

06aztaco Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Phx AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner 2.7
    Microsoft is already in the radio systems of new Fords.. half way there

19. Mar 25, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    Phlip4x4Sport

Phlip4x4Sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Torrance, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab 4x4 Off-Road Long Bed
    New and Unmodified
    When I first bought my truck I would go down a hill and be accelerating while coasting with my foot off the gas. I would down shift till the engine started holding back the vehicle. Within a month I would take my foot off the pedal and the transmission was doing this for me.

20. Mar 25, 2010 at 11:08 PM
    RogerGene

RogerGene Member

Member:
    Eastern Shore Maryland and Sierra Foothills
    Vehicle:
    '07 DC long bed SR5 Magenta
    I live in mountains. In high gear "D", going down a long hill and applying brakes, the tranny shifts down a bit to "4" anyway. As I hit the bottom of the hill it stays until I accelerate a bit. If I bump it momentarily to "4" and back to "D" I coast again through the bottom of the hill, it lets me run free. Going down a long steep hill into the canyons and gearing down to any gear, it seems to be all my decision, therefore I can burn my brakes or gear down more, my choice.

Products Discussed in

To Top