1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Truck Sounds Like Its Getting MURDERED. A Lemon? WTF

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by WhiteWiddow, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Jul 14, 2011 at 1:40 PM
    WhiteWiddow

WhiteWiddow [OP] a member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 V6 TRD Sport DC LB 4X4
    Same ish everyones doin
    So little history before I jump into this ish... I bought a 06 V6 DCLB TRD SPORT w/ 32k original miles on it from a dude who took care of his truck. He bought the plat warranty from Toyota, always garaged it and never drove it that's why he sold it (06 with 32K, all the hardware for the bed tie downs and ish were still in plastic). Damn thing looks brand new and only bought it 3 months ago. So drove it back from Spokane,Wa and was running like a champ, then coming back from Seattle one day the A/C light blinks. Long story short ended up getting a new AC compressor, AC Clutch and serpentine belt installed. All covered under warranty. Now the new problem...

Last week started smelling a burning smell, looked at some threads and did the cabin air cleaner and filter and all that shiet, stopped using A/C before my destination and was running just air seemed to be a short fix. Yesterday I start my car and it didn't sound right, like a slipped belt err something with the same AC smell. When I got off work it and started just fine. Popped the hood, checked everything out and saw nothing out of the normal, again the damn thing looks brand new but still smells hot with the burning smell more on the driver side. This morning same thing, slipped belt err screeching sound and starts. Get to work, shut it off and start it again, starts up fine. I ran out to my truck bout 20 min ago cause I forgot my wallet and needed to pay for the weathertech GB. I thought what the heck, gonna see if it does it now after sitting 4/5 hours (Bad Idea)... It sounded like someone was killing my Tacoma. SCREEEECH with some other not good noises & BURNT SMELL, I stopped obviously as it never started and the sound was LOUD as hell. WTF is wrong with my truck, it looks brand new. Im rantin on this thread and apologize in advance but its cause i went from a 87 taco to a 06 and now with a payment again im gonna have this truck for a bit. Obviously im thinkin its the starter but WTF. Is the starter and AC compressor linked at all? I dont even have the air on...when I had starter issues on other taco's it was like a progression, now crap is brakin left n right...ANY thoughts? I have a appointment with our local dealership tomorrow morning but I dont even know if the damn thing will start when I get off work... Ideas?

2. Jul 14, 2011 at 1:45 PM
    RevHard6

RevHard6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    11 DC OR 4x4
    Sort of sounds like the AC belt didn't get tightened up after the compressor was installed.

Had a similar incident on my old 3.4L after I changed out the belt and forgot to tighten the AC belt. Sounded like my truck had a cat in heat stuck under the hood going down the freeway.

Check for a loose or missing bolt on the tensioner for the AC comp.

3. Jul 14, 2011 at 1:48 PM
    WhiteWiddow

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    Same ish everyones doin
    Much appreciated!

4. Jul 14, 2011 at 2:10 PM
    rossk35

rossk35 Do Work Son!

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD S/C/TRD Intake/TRD Boost Gauge/DT Headers/OEM TL/ZKW retro/Pioneer DVD w/Ipod/Magnaflow/20% Tint/BHLM/JL 10" sub, JL VR components, JL 450/4 amp/Helwig Sway bar/Viper 791/ 18" limited 4runner rims
    one belt runs the entire system which has a self adjusting tensioner. could have a bad idler pulley.

5. Jul 14, 2011 at 2:12 PM
    WhiteWiddow

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    Same ish everyones doin
    Thanks guys, its putting my mind at ease a little more.

6. Jul 14, 2011 at 2:21 PM
    horwitzs

horwitzs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Dayton, WA
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    Supercharger, OME lift w/ LR UCAs, running boards, toolbox, extinguisher mount, skidplate, N-Fab light bar, 40" R.I. LED bar, WO seat covers, TRD intake, Weathertech mats and visors, stubby antenna, hood struts, LED interior lighting, Hella Supertones, and other stuff I'm forgetting.
    Sounds like a belt problem to me also, which is reinforced by the fact that they were just working on the A/C.
    Head back to the dealer.

To Top