1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My washing regimen?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Fullsendcf, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Nov 10, 2020 at 7:14 AM
    rfranklin1

rfranklin1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Wheels first is the way to go. Brake dust is corrosive, so you don't want to get any of it on clean paint.

2. Nov 10, 2020 at 7:19 AM
    rfranklin1

rfranklin1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Pro
    I would avoid this, personally. You should always make sure the panel is free of contaminants BEFORE you put a pad to it. Otherwise, you will run the risk of something getting caught up in the pad and then scratching the surface.

3. Nov 10, 2020 at 7:32 AM
    TRD-ED

TRD-ED Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lenoir NC.
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD PRO - 2023 Genesis GV70
    Stock FOX 275/65/18 At3w 18X9 Fuel Vapor's

No hand washing? There's no way I'd lay a clay bar, or any coating on a paint without a thorough hand washing.
    I like a foam cannon. But they will not remove stuck on contaminants from paint.

4. Nov 10, 2020 at 7:52 AM
    clenkeit

clenkeit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 White DCLB TRD Sport
    What part of my statement do you take issue with?

I'm not arguing with your process at all. I agree - mechanical and chemical decontamination, correct, protect. I'm just saying that it's more worthwhile to do the decontamination if it's needed rather than to skip it and kick that can down the road. Personally, I'd prefer my paint be clean and decontaminated with a small, small additional amount of swirl marks rather than leaving all that decontamination on the paint and just waxing right over it.

5. Nov 10, 2020 at 9:19 AM
    gorram

gorram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    I was disagreeing on the concept that it's better to mechanical decon without polishing. Or that most contamination that can be easily removed with clay is bad enough to impact the protectant you're using which is why I attached the Esoteric video.

In the end, do what you feel is right for your situation, I'm just presenting what I think is more the consensus in the detailing world. But like everything else, there is more than one way to get results.

6. Nov 10, 2020 at 1:50 PM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Just remember that any / every time you drag anything across your painted surfaces, at some level, you're marring that surface. People think clay removes contaminates - and it does - but no matter how well you lubricate the clay, the stuff now imbedded in the clay will marr. That said, the more often you clay, the more often you will marr at some level. Sooner or later, that cumulative marring will become evident and require correction.

My suggestion? Only clay if you have significant enough contamination to require it.

Here's another hint. When drying, start with a hand held leaf blower. This will remove over 90% of the water with zero marring. Use a soft microfiber towel for what's left. My neighbors used to think I was nuts when I did this. Now that I've detailed almost all of their cars, the laughing has stopped.

TRD-ED and gorram like this.
  7. Nov 10, 2020 at 1:52 PM
    Too Stroked

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
  8. Nov 10, 2020 at 1:57 PM
    Fullsendcf

Fullsendcf [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    SF - Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '18 Cement TRD OR

Appreciate the info. The only spot I see minimal swirls is the hood. Everywhere else looks good. May just hold off on claying/polishing until down the road. Will def give the leaf blower method a try. First gotta find wherever it is in my garage lol

Too Stroked[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Nov 10, 2020 at 5:18 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    An alternative for you is to use a water softener and flooding technique when you're done washing. Well, the h2o softener during the whole process, but the flooding afterwards. Between the two, there'll hardly be any standing water left. I still prefer a waffle weave drying towel to a leaf blower.

10. Nov 10, 2020 at 6:14 PM
    tonykarter

tonykarter Crappie Savant

Member:
    Snuff Gully, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB 4x4 Sport 1993 4Runner SR5 4x4, 411,000 miles
    Pine tree air freshener
    Ruined a few car finishes in my life. Here is what 50+ years of "rolling my own" detailing has taught me:

1. Nothing ruins a car finish like washing it. All the time. A car is new until you wash it the first time. Make it a long time before you do. Of greatest importance, MAKE SURE the dealer knows that you will not take delivery of the vehicle if they wash it. Tell them do not send it through "make ready". Fill it with gas, but that is it. Otherwise I pick out another one with more options, but at the same price, understood?
    2. Once you have it YOU rub the new off of it by washing it. Too much. YOU are the reason it stops looking good! You are the reason your "high school sweetheart" becomes that coke-whore slumming in your driveway.
    3. You double the amount of rubbing on it if you use a towel to dry it. Microfiber or not, don't dry it with a towel. Blow dry it. BIG fuckin' leaf blower. BACKPACK leaf blower.
    4. Ceramic coatings: the best thing so far in keeping your paint new. Apply one as soon as possible after vehicle purchase, then keep your hands off of it. Rinse it, but fight the urge to wash it once the ceramic coat is on there. See how long you can go without washing it. (It'll eat you up inside!) (And clean that hoarder's nightmare of a garage out for God's sakes, and park it inside!) That ceramic finish is slick and will shed most contaminants. Do up under the fender wells too, and nothing will cling up under there! It'll look new FOR A LONG TIME. If you can keep your hands off of it. Even if you don't wash it all the time it is going to look good!
    5. Get a foam cannon and build a dedicated car wash pressure washer, with water softener system added. Why? Water spots from hard water. Between a ceramic coating and a water softening system, those remaining water beads will blow right off of there and it'll be dry so fast. NO water spots!

I bought my Taco October of 2018. I washed/IronX-ed it the first time in March of 2019, right before I took it to Expel to have the front facing parts wrapped. I washed it two weeks later, clay barred/IronX-ed/Essence polished/Car Pro UK 3.0 Ceramic 2 coats/Gliss 1 coat including the wheels. Poor Boys Wheel Sealant everything under the wheel wells. I washed it a third time early this summer. That's it. Been driven multiple times in the rain. Nothing sticks to ceramic. It is clean, still looks new, because I left it alone to remain new. Of course, not doing any offroading! My 2009 G8 has been washed less than 20 times. Still looks new with 85,000 on it. My system works. Keep you hands off of it.

It takes restraint. When it comes to the care of the finish of your vehicle, less is better.

20201110 - Pressure washer, with H2O softening system.jpg

Stihl BR550 Leaf Blower.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    gorram and TRD-ED like this.
  11. Nov 11, 2020 at 3:30 AM
    Too Stroked

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Absolutely on the water flooding / sheeting method! I forgot to mention that.

AMarkham40 likes this.
  12. Nov 11, 2020 at 4:05 AM
    Venom

Venom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    Beyond clay is a clay bar and polish in one product. The contaminants is supposed to get embedded into the buffing pad of choice and leave behind a contaminant free, polished surface. I can see where people will think these type of product will leave behind a marred up surface.

13. Nov 11, 2020 at 4:07 AM
    Venom

Venom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    I'll take it your not a fan of this product. I know, potential marring

14. Nov 11, 2020 at 4:19 AM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    No tires and wheels first :thumbsup: then truck top to bottom . Don’t want to splash tire debris on clean truck :oops:

TRD-ED likes this.
  15. Nov 11, 2020 at 7:12 AM
    Knute

Knute Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4.0L Tacoma TRD Sport
    Stock, 4WD, Access Cab, White,
    So all the schmutz from the body ends up on the clean wheels......

Makes sense to me. o_O

16. Nov 11, 2020 at 7:49 AM
    clenkeit

clenkeit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 White DCLB TRD Sport
    I believe you misread what I wrote or I was not clear. I did not say it's better to mechanically decon without polishing. I said that if I didn't have the time to do both mechanical decon AND polish that I still think it's very worthwhile to do the mechanical decon and skip the polish. If you only had time for ONE of these two processes I would choose mechcanical decon and skip polish rather than skip the decon and perform the polish. For me, removing the decontaminants is a top priority and removing swirls is lower on that priority list.

And regarding the protectant... it's pretty widely accepted that the cleaner the paint is (free of dirt, contaminants and defects in the paint) the more effective the protectant can be. This article mentions it as will many, many others.

I think we likely feel the same way but are just getting confused with what each other is saying.

17. Nov 11, 2020 at 8:54 AM
    grissom

grissom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    NorCal
    **Tagged**

18. Nov 11, 2020 at 9:11 AM
    FFBlack

FFBlack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OFF ROAD
    When I'm washing my truck I do wheels and tires first. I dont want wheel cleaner and tire grime on a freshly washed panel.If I'm washing myself I do top to bottem.

19. Nov 11, 2020 at 9:16 AM
    gorram

gorram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    No I was making both points and why I posted Esoteric's video stating you're better to apply the sealant without claying if you weren't going to polish. The results of not claying will have negligible impact on your sealant.

20. Nov 11, 2020 at 11:18 AM
    Too Stroked

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    After over 25 years of detailing, I've learned (sometimes the hard way) that "miracle products" rarely are. Some folks call me cynical. I say I'm just annoyingly realistic. Yea, I'll pass on this one without even trying it.

Products Discussed in

To Top