1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My wife wants to lose some weight. I need help

Discussion in 'Health' started by DBTaco, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Feb 20, 2014 at 11:35 AM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Do cardio and weight training. Actually it depends on what works for you. Do light weigfhts and lots of cardio and watch what you eat but don't deprive yourself that makes it worse.

2. Feb 21, 2014 at 10:45 PM
    801Tom

801Tom Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Utah County
    Vehicle:
    2011 doublecab, TRD, TXpro
    265/75/16 Big O AT's on factory fake beadlocks.
    Move more eat less. It takes a complete lifestyle change. I lost 100 lbs over 3 years and have kept it off just as long. I think the key ideas for me were to not drink calories and 45 minutes of fairly strenuous cardio daily.

3. May 2, 2014 at 8:28 AM
    RocktheRed

RocktheRed Guest

Just curious OP, how is your wife's diet/exercise plan going?! I'm in the same boat to drop 20 lbs and get tone as well but I've been slacking all week :eek:

4. May 2, 2014 at 10:54 AM
    Guerrilla

Guerrilla L(.)(.)K@G(.)(.)Dz

Member:
    First Name:
    D. Cooley
    Coast to Coast
    Vehicle:
    El' Black 13 DCSB 4x4
    Stuff
    Erin, this is my advice to you too. :)
    You'll never lose the weight and tone up, if you keep slacking;) and remember it's a life style choice, not just a goal to look good for summers, if that's the way you've approached it, you will probably continue the cycle year after year. I saw your comment in the other thread asking if it's possible to lose 15ish pounds in a short time... A lot of things are possible, you would be amazed in the difference if you could get on the right track with it all, meaning mentally focused, eating properly, training correctly, and of course sticking with it.. It all goes and in hand. It will get easier for you.

And this

I'm curious too how things are going OP.

5. May 2, 2014 at 5:53 PM
    DBTaco

DBTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4x4 TRD off road
    Her dr put her in the Mediterranean diet for her cholesterol. Gonna give her 6 more months and do more blood work before they put her in meds. This week she bought a jillian michaels DVD I think 30 day seed I think. It's a mix of cardio and strength. She's been using 5 lb weights to start with. It's a 20minute workout for level 1 and she's done it 3 out of 4 days so far. She is sore. She's been drinking a protein shake after her DVD. She hasn't weighed as it's not been long enough since she actually started.

6. May 5, 2014 at 10:02 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    sounds like the right direction.

My wife also started with Jillian Michaels.

She eventually started following some girl name Cassie Ho (or something like that). Have her search YouTube for POPillates (or something like that) and Fitness Blen. My wife is combining those two with a healthy dose of running.

The problem is that I now feel like I need to catch up! So I started doing one of those couch to 10k programs. She could probably easily do a couch to 5k deal.

7. May 5, 2014 at 10:15 AM
    RocktheRed

RocktheRed Guest

That's great advice and great motivation! I started today and can't wait to go to the gym then play soccer 3 times a week! thanks :D

8. May 27, 2014 at 11:52 AM
    DBTaco

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4x4 TRD off road
    End of the month update. She is struggling with losing ANY weight for some reason. She eats good every meal except for maybe two on the weekends. Eating chicken, ground chicken, ground turkey, asparagus, squash, tomatoes, quinoa, whole wheat pasta when we have pasta, 1 1/2 boiled eggs and almond butter with half a banana on rye bread(this is breakfast). NO sodas. I know she is getting frustrated and I know she has a hard time fitting exercise in a day since we both get up at 5:45am, eat breakfast get our little girl up and dressed and out the door by 6:50am. Has to be at work at 7:20am and gets off at 5:00pm. She goes and gets our daughter and we eat supper and by then its 6:30-7:00. After we play either outside kicking the ball with our daughter, we give her a bath and try to get her to sleep by 8:30-9:00. My wife is usually asleep shortly after this most nights. Sometimes she will stay up til 10:00-10:30. I feel sorry for her b/c she's eating good watching what she eats and no results. She keeps asking me about fat burners or something for her to take supplement wise. I looked on muscleandstrength.com but I don't know what to tell her. She doesn't want anything thats gonna give her the jitters. I was thinking the safest would be carnitine or some green tea extract but I don't know how effective they are.

9. May 27, 2014 at 5:43 PM
    Guerrilla

Member:
    First Name:
    D. Cooley
    Coast to Coast
    Vehicle:
    El' Black 13 DCSB 4x4
    Stuff
    OK, well in your previous post you mentioned she is going to the Doc, I'm glad the Doc was willing to go a different route other than with the regular meds etc. At least he tried or is trying with the eating part first.

How is her exercising going? How often, when and what is she doing? Still the DVDS?

The Supplements I would recommend. Would be CLA (you could get it with Tonalin) A good fish oil and Krill, could help too with cholesterol. L carnitine and green tea extract is good. Thats all a good stack. Look those up.

Most fat burners will "probably" give her the jitters, but everyone responds a little different, so it's really a matter of trying them. If she did want to try some, I would go by GNC or The Vitamin Shopp if you have one around you, and get some samples before spending the money for a whole bottle.

Also one thing for her or anybody to keep in mind about the weight part or not losing any. Sometimes if you're stuck looking at the numbers on a scale and they're not dropping. It could be because you're losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time, so the pounds don't drop. Which isn't a bad thing. And no she wouldn't be getting swole with BIG muscles either. That would mean she's toning up.

Hope that helps a little. Also bodybuilding.com has a ton of info about working out and supplemements etc.

10. May 27, 2014 at 5:57 PM
    gozar

gozar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Weight loss dieting only leads to yo-yo weight gain in most people. Don't think about losing x pounds of weight in a few months, take the long view and think about where you're going to be 3, 5 even 10 years down the road. Think about food and activity habits that will be sustainable in the long term.

Gradual changes to lifestyle will do the most good. What's the point of losing 15 pounds if you're going to gain 20 back?

Being at a healthy weight is a good goal, just take the long view and have a look at your overall lifestyle though.

Example: I wanted to quit drinking soda, but instead of depriving myself I started thinking about just how nasty soda is, what it's doing to me and how I couldn't see it fitting into a healthy lifestyle. After a while, every soda seemed less satisfying and the habit just kind of slogged off like a bandaid coming off in the shower - never realized it was gone until later.

So don't make the goal, "I gotta lose 20 pounds by taking this magic (pill / herbal supplement / protein shake) and doing exercise that I don't really enjoy." Instead make it, "I have to eat appropriate amounts of food for my metabolism and activity level" and "I need to find exercise that I actually enjoy and would do it even if I didn't have to." Do it gradually and it will stick.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  11. May 27, 2014 at 6:07 PM
    otis24

otis24 Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Outdoors Bodonkadonk
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    You guys are super busy! It's understandable to be frustrated for sure. Is there an activity you can do as a family that's fun and is exercise as a "side effect"?

12. May 27, 2014 at 6:12 PM
    gozar

gozar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    This is what I was thinking when I was talking about how it's important to find activities that you actually WANT to do, instead of "Oh jeez, I gotta go to the gym today." Some people actually like being at the gym - me, I hate it. Put me on a mountain bike though, and I'll ride myself silly.

13. May 28, 2014 at 5:28 AM
    DBTaco

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4x4 TRD off road
    I've been looking and I want something that is safe for her and I thought about the MusclePharm Carnitine core. Also, maybe add a green tea extract too. I guess both of us need to take a multivitamin everyday. We've been wanting to get our bikes out and ride those after we eat supper but we have to either get our daughter a ride behind seat or one of those trailers that we can attach to our bikes.

14. May 28, 2014 at 5:38 AM
    nomad_archer

nomad_archer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Brickerville (Lititz), PA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Tacoma V6 SR5
    So I have experimented in the past with supplements and pills to lose weight. I dont mess with them anymore they dont work and are not perminent. Eat veggies/grains/protien over junk food. Eating better doesnt have to be hard or expensive. Eat what is on sale!!!!

First part is to eat a little more protien and more veggies instead of potatoes etc... Next drink lots of water. I put a pitcher of water in the fridge and cut lemon slices and put that in the pitcher. Now you have flavored water that didn't come out of a package.

The second part is just to move. Walk away from the computer and turn off the TV. Walk or get bikes and go for a bike ride find something you like to do that gets you moving. That will help. If you like it you will keep doing it. Once you get moving it will get easier and you if it is fun you will stick with it. Today I got on the scale and found out I have lost 10lbs by cutting and hauling firewood for the last 5-6 weeks. It is something I love doing and it gets me moving.

Ease into things and dont over do it out of the gate.

Good luck to you and the wife.

15. May 28, 2014 at 5:43 AM
    5280Transplant

5280Transplant Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    NoVA by way of CO
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport SR5 Rad Red
    There is a lot of seriously junk science going on in this thread. I have lost a substantial amount of weight (and am still going) not because I am doing cardio, not because I am whole wheat, gluten free, or spend my life in the gym.

The best advice is to find your Basil Metabolic Rate, subtract 500 calories from that and restrict your calories like crazy. As you loose weight, continue to calculate your BMR. Technically, it doesn't matter what type of food you eat for loosing weight, but loosing weight and eating healthy aren't necessarily exclusive. You can still loose weight and not be healthy. In a perfect world, we would all eat healthy food all the time, but I was realistic with my goals. If you simply restrict your calories, you will lose weight. I mixed in weight training to speed up the process because it burns much more calories than cardio.

I would advice against taking advice from people on a truck website. Go here for quality advice from people who have actually lost weight: http://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/

16. May 28, 2014 at 5:49 AM
    5280Transplant

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    NoVA by way of CO
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport SR5 Rad Red
    And you can absolutely loose more than 1 pound per week. At the beginning I lost 3 or 4 per week, but they say 2 pounds per week is safe.

17. May 28, 2014 at 4:00 PM
    Guerrilla

Member:
    First Name:
    D. Cooley
    Coast to Coast
    Vehicle:
    El' Black 13 DCSB 4x4
    Stuff
    The first statement you make is, there's a lot of seriously junk science going on in this thread.. Then go on to advise against taking advice from people on a truck website, then direct him to reddit for "quality advice" from people who have actually lost weight.
    Be more specific on the junk science advice posts that have been given in this thread. Also please fill me in on what makes the people on reddit full of quality input compared to us on Tacomaworld.

18. May 28, 2014 at 4:02 PM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    What the hell is loosing weight?
    X2

19. May 28, 2014 at 4:14 PM
    5280Transplant

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    NoVA by way of CO
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport SR5 Rad Red
    Junk science = taking a magic pill or taking any other short cut will make you lose weight.

I certainly am not saying no one on here knows what they are talking about, but maybe he should go to a forum dedicated to loosing weight? You wouldn't go to an FJ forum for advice on your Tacoma, why do that with weight loss?

I should have prefaced that by saying this is what worked for me. The community on Reddit was particularly helpful to me because you can see results from people who have been in similar situations and get instant feedback from people who can prove their results. I'd love to hear why you think the actual advice I gave was wrong though. Perhaps you do know of some magical pills?

20. May 28, 2014 at 4:15 PM
    5280Transplant

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    NoVA by way of CO
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport SR5 Rad Red
    *Losing. Thanks for pointing that out?

Products Discussed in

To Top