1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

N-Fab Rear Chase Rack / Light Bar rack

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by bren5279, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Nov 13, 2018 at 9:37 AM
    bren5279

bren5279 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendon
    new bern NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black Tacoma TRD Long Travel Supercharged
    TRD Supercharger Dirt King 14" Long Travel Kit Pro Comp 6" lift Fox dual rate 2.5" remote res front coil carriers Fox triple bypass 2.5" remote res front shocks Fox 12" 2.5" Remote Res. Shocks DSC adjusters (flutter shim stacks) ARB Lockers F+R 4.88 Regear F+R Shackle flip kit Bamf tall shock mount Demello Offroad Front Bumper Smittybilt Winchs F+R Method beadlock 17x9 Rims 37" Open country R/T tires Baja fiberglass Front Fenders Baja Fiberglass Rear Fenders Bulletproof Fab Front Grill Air Intake Reroute High Lift Jack Pro Comp Skid Plate KB Voodo Short Bed Rack CVT Cascadia Rooftop Tent
    Overview: D-
    Hows the quality? ...what quality? ...yeah that bad. Like almost comical it was so bad. Holes and flanges so far out of place it couldn’t be put together.
    Would I buy it again? Not unless I was absolutely desperate
    Does it look good? Yeah... at least there's that
    Was it worth it? Nope.
    https://n-fab.com/bed-bar-roof-mount

Review:
    So thanks to the hurricane this year (i.g. the dilapidated house in the background), my welders were out of commission and I didn't really know anyone I could trust in the area to make a decent rear rack, soooo I decided to buy one. I liked the look of the Nfab one, but I always wondered why I never really saw anyone with one. Whelp I found out why not...
    Apparently these are built by a bunch of blind monkeys. Ive fabbed a lot of stuff in my days, Ive seen the good the bad and the ugly, and this set the bar in both bad and ugly categories. They literally didn't even ATTEMPT to see if the parts would even remotely fit together.

The Good:
    it looks pretty decent... , and its removable.
    The Bad:
    -So obviously the bar was going to mount to the bed top/sides, yeah I knew that, but it mounts on the tie down rails... with M6 bolts... that stretch all the way through to the fiberglass behind it... yeah, I could probably break the thing off with one hand if I used those, opted to use my rooftop tent mount bolts instead.
    -Top mount holes did not line up, not by a little, but by entire hole lengths.
    -The sides that were supposed to mount to the center, were cut SO POORLY that they literally didn't even fit inside the part that it had to bolt in. I had to cut off entire strips of steel in order to get them to even go inside (and no I didn't do it wrong, I triple checked).
    -Wrong hardware, go figure. Again, Ive built a lot of things, I triple checked.
    -The way they sat on the tie down rails, unless you have the front free float on the rails, it hits the bedside tops on a thin strip of steel thatd mess up the bedside cap. So had to cut that off.

The Ugly:
    -The top edges were so bent from welding distortion, that they wouldn't let the mating part sit right.
    -several brackets were bent, a LOT, not from shipping, we're talking pre-coating.
    -The design has the aerodynamic part facing backwards (yes I'm absolutely sure) so it actually whistles a bit at certain speeds.
    -The top light side brackets are welded on, so if you don't want top pod lights, you either leave the ugly stick out brackets, or cut them off.

Overall I would say it's an extremely poor design. I thought of 2 or 3 different ways they could have done it better for almost every spot. For what they charge for this rack it should have been FLAWLESS. It took 4 full hours of cutting, drilling, etc fab work to get this guy on.
    It does look pretty good IMO, but definitely not worth the cost for the quality.

Good luck to anyone else who buys one of these, prepare to bust out the fab tools.

UPDATE: Already starting to rust in several spots, but other than that still holding together

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    SUMOTNK and Amchuge like this.
  2. Feb 24, 2019 at 5:59 PM
    Amchuge

Amchuge Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma trd pro
    Nice truck

3. Feb 26, 2019 at 4:03 AM
    TacoTacoma16

TacoTacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Longbed
    TRD Matte Black SEMA's 265/70/R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
    Nice truck!!! This is the Back to the Future on Steroids Edition!! Is there a better option out there for this roll bar??
    You could sell this and upgrade!

Amchuge likes this.
  4. Dec 2, 2019 at 3:59 PM
    Anthony7a

Anthony7a Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen tacoma
    Been looking for something like this, anyone know where I can find something like if?

5. Feb 28, 2020 at 9:56 AM
    PeteSmashh

PeteSmashh Well-Known Member

Member:
    badass truck dude

6. Mar 23, 2021 at 10:15 PM
    Soulstice07

Soulstice07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Granite Falls, WA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    6" Pro Comp lift KMC 17x9 XD137 FMJ Wheels 35" Mastercraft tires Custom Bilstein extended length adjustable coilovers 700lb Eibach springs Bilstein rear shocks DV8 Off Road front bumper Custom skid plates/armor Smittybilt 10klb winch Cali Raised LED sliders Cowl air induction ABS kill switch Rear air ride suspension Trailer plug relocate Clazzio leather seat covers Various lighting mods
    This is one of the best looking Tacomas I've ever seen! Beautiful truck bro!!

Products Discussed in

To Top