1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

N2 Designs 2016-2022 Tacoma 3x OEM FOB Plug n Play Remote Starter Kit (AT & MT) + Smart Module

Discussion in 'N2 Designs' started by N2DesignsInc, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Oct 17, 2018 at 8:48 PM
    slowlane

slowlane Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    16 double cab MGM
    you know i thought it was wierd that half the harness had electrical tape and the other half not. i thought my ocd was bad.......but now that you say that maybe it does bug me more than i thought. damn you! might have to do the same. meso strikes again!!

MESO[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Oct 17, 2018 at 8:55 PM
    MESO

MESO Major Modder Vendor

Member:
    State of Jefferson
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD HELLCAT SWAP
    The difference is because the manufacture of the T harness(Fortin) wraps it up with felt style tape(tesa) and OP tapes off the remaining parts with electrical tape. Nothing against OP, as I’m sure he has his hands full with orders. And for most people the tape he applies is sufficient!(better than none, and getting connectors confused) but being a 12v installer for a decade..I have my pet peeves:/
    P.S:This has no affect on function, and is purely cosmetic!

DSSK and N2DesignsInc[OP] like this.
  3. Oct 17, 2018 at 9:56 PM
    N2DesignsInc

N2DesignsInc [OP] --------------------------- N2 Designs, Inc. Vendor

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 that identifies itself as a 2021
    Mods: Is this still a Tacoma?
    Meso nailed it, and only in true meso form! The second wave will have it. As
    mentioned, cosmetic, but we chose the exact reason Meso said, tape them off or risk major confusion...chose the latter. Please do not undo it as there is nothing usable for your vehicle on there. However, feedback noted, changes will be made to any outgoing after today. And sure did have hands full with orders, we still have the guys with smart modules waiting due to a vendor goof up, trying to send me Verizon CDMA...HA! Ya right. No way was I accepting and sending out that garbage. Hence the delay. I’ll revise any outgoing harnesses after the time stamp on this post! Only if you guys saw that rat nest, you would’ve ran from the harness...if you look at it for the first time unaltered, you will tremble. There is enough tape on there currently for everyone else that it will outlast your ownership, that’s a guarantee! But by then we’ll be able to chip our brains to turn anything on..well have embedded Wi-Fi AZ by then haha...

I should’ve made Meso’s harness using a 3D printer in true Meso form! Nonetheless, please do not unwrap it, the harness was cleaned up for you to focus on only what you need. The rest that are exposed but not used are for a future smart device add on. You can tie wrap them back and tuck them until you decide one day to take your start and locking capabilities to the next level! I programmed them all to be future proof so that you will not need to send it back for reprogramming/reflashing for the add-on.

F6FF374E-30AD-4D36-9A13-2309859BBF7C.jpg

DSSK and MESO[QUOTED] like this.
  4. Oct 17, 2018 at 10:02 PM
    MESO

MESO Major Modder Vendor

Member:
    State of Jefferson
    Vehicle:
    That bundle of wires is nothin'! The T harnesses and programmable modules are a life saver. I remember the days of hard wiring and soldering each and every connection, trying to stuff huge 10GA remote relay packs under the dash, diodes on top of resistors, the list goes on. Props to you getting these all wired,programmed, and out the door! Now if I can only come up with a way to keep the truck running while I open the door....

5. Oct 17, 2018 at 10:40 PM
    Derrick2972

Derrick2972 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I just placed my order for the smartphone addon.
    Order number: 10056

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  6. Oct 17, 2018 at 10:40 PM
    MESO

MESO Major Modder Vendor

Member:
    State of Jefferson
    Vehicle:

N2DesignsInc[OP] likes this.
  7. Oct 17, 2018 at 10:54 PM
    N2DesignsInc

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Saw that, thanks!

8. Oct 17, 2018 at 10:56 PM
    N2DesignsInc

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    I remember those days, it took ballsy guys to take that on, or pay more than the device itself to get it installed. Not to mention, there is no turning back if it came down to a warranty related dealer visit like there is now. No more dealer scape-goating for you guys!

9. Oct 17, 2018 at 10:58 PM
    N2DesignsInc

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    But you're a 12volt guy, you're not intimidated. The idea here is to be able to have your 6th grader install it while you sit in a lawn chair sippin' a beer.

And wait a minute, 10G wire? What type of high current were you running? Jeebus, that's for 230VAC 100A rated...you had a tanning bed inside these vehicles?

stealthmode likes this.
  10. Oct 18, 2018 at 7:54 AM
    slowlane

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    16 double cab MGM
    oh jeez! thats what it looks like before we get them? i wouldnt know where to start. haha. so an even bigger thank you for doing what youve done.

might have some time to install tonight. uninstalled parts in the garage is like having cash in my pockets. i cant wait to use it!

11. Oct 18, 2018 at 4:43 PM
    N2DesignsInc

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Right! I was even asking myself where do I start, but wasn’t going to risk anyone getting intimidated or botching an install. This is marketed as an easy 15 minute “takes more time to remove the trim” install, I intended to keep that perception by any means necessary.

With that said if anyone wants felt tape for a delivery before today, feel free to send it back, it’ll be $300 per inch used hahaha! Just kidding. That stuff is like $8 for 5 rolls that totals 75 feet but again, only cosmetic. It’s behind your dash, I wouldn’t have the patience to wait any longer than I have to to install it if I had it in hand!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  12. Oct 18, 2018 at 5:12 PM
    TacoTruck808

TacoTruck808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu in the Aloha State!
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB, Prem & Tech Pkg, MGM
    I just picked up some Tesa tape from Amazon also to make it more “pretty”. I can also use the rest to cleam up all the rest of my wiring that i have already installed. :thumbsup:

N2DesignsInc[OP] likes this.
  13. Oct 18, 2018 at 7:31 PM
    N2DesignsInc

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    To all whom purchased, check your email for install resources and tips on install, trim removal, and programming. Was made aware that it may have gone to spam for some. Check your inbox or junk for an email from info@n2designsinc.com

DSSK likes this.
  14. Oct 18, 2018 at 7:51 PM
    slowlane

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    16 double cab MGM
    just installed it. the youtube video linked in the email is pretty much spot on. install was pretty straight forward. took less than an hour to install/program/test. thanks for making it easy!!

everything works perfect! just did a quick run though.

any reccomended spots or way to hide the fortin unit and extra wiring?

15. Oct 18, 2018 at 9:11 PM
    N2DesignsInc

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Glad to hear it!

Some tie wraps while the trim is open, anywhere you can tuck and tie, just don’t piggy back off any other harnesses or devices. And don’t shove into any tight places between controllers. Also don’t bend the harness radius to hard/tight. You won’t need to access any part of this harness other than the unused ones if you decide to add on the smart module. If you leave those accessible near and just above the gas pedal but behind the trim, depending on how skinny you are, you can actually install the smart device by lying on your back, where your head slides near the pedals, and a flashlight. I’ve done it before. But the trim is easy enough you don’t need to set it up that way.

So in short, however you see fit my friend. This part is up to you! Thanks for the positive feedback! I give it two weeks before you’re starting to think about taking your start and locking, and vehicle locate to the next level haha...I initially bought the 3x remote start first, however the more time I spent on this forum seeing others rave about the smart phone app module, I couldn’t be left behind. Had to have it. Never looked back. Now when I’m outside and need something from my truck, as long as I have my phone, I don’t need to run back into grab my keys. I also hate laying in bed wondering if I locked my truck. I have my phone on or near me more than my fob...it’s great! Plus at $29 a year, I spend more than that on a case of diapers. Gonna have to tell my toddler to get his pee and poop game strong cause daddy needs to warm (or cool) the car off for his a$$. Either that or I’ll have to trade 6 less venti Starbucks drinks a year for waters and call it even. It’s ridiculous how much we blow on stupider, less necessary things in life, like toilet paper. The yellow pages used to last me a good month before my princess wife needed something softer...I kid, I kid but I think you all get my point here. $2.50 a month is the change we all toss in our console in case we ever need something for the meter, but rarely ever do.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    DSSK likes this.
  16. Oct 19, 2018 at 7:04 AM
    slowlane

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    16 double cab MGM
    awesome i figured as much, just wanted to see if you had a preffered spot. i just tucked everything out of the way for now, ill go in and clean it all up this weekend.

i realky didnt think i would need the smartphone remote start, but now im thinking of how i would use the remote start, the range of the key fob will not allow me to get full use of the remote start in the way i intended. decisions decisons. you also made a pretty convincing sales pitch. ill see how it goes with the fob alone for a while. thanks

DSSK likes this.
  17. Oct 19, 2018 at 2:47 PM
    mattylmbr

mattylmbr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Just installed mine - less than 20 minutes - super easy - and works great. Maybe one of the easiest to install upgrades I’ve ever done to a vehicle.

Ordered my smart phone module this am - decided why be half pregnant!

Great product - thanks jayrobot !

DSSK and N2DesignsInc[OP] like this.
  18. Oct 19, 2018 at 7:30 PM
    N2DesignsInc

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the positive feedback brother! I agree, go full term or go home! Never fun to abort half way! And for the record, I give half of everyone that ordered just the remote start anywhere from a week to a month to realize somethings missing in their lives! Ive been there myself! But I will say one thing, as far as speed of change of heart for not purchasing the smart module add on, a couple others have you beat Matt! So far the record was 2 days...better late than never! You’ve already done the hard part, the smart module is the easy part...quicker, and even funner!

19. Oct 19, 2018 at 7:37 PM
    N2DesignsInc

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    By the way I wanted to add a note about the smart device, if you have or plan on installing the pop n lock for your tailgate to be locked and locked via the power door locks on your OEM fob, then locking and locking the bed is also inherently controlled with your smart phone! What does this mean? It means that your truck bed is now a locker if you have a tonneau cover, and you don’t need to carry your keys with you when your surfing, camping, hiking, skiing or snowboarding and anything else you could think of. For example, the other day I wasn’t home, but my brother needed to borrow my truck so I left the keys in the bed, tailgate and tonneau locked and he pinged me to unlock remotely when he got to my house. I’ve also stored mail, packages, house keys or things that needed to be accessed and/or picked up via someone else such as friend or family member when I’m not home without leaving stuff outside tonthe elements or risk of theft. You can also use the main cabin in the same fashion if you don’t have a tonneau cover, just make sure to not leave stuff in plain view.

stealthmode and DSSK like this.
  20. Oct 19, 2018 at 7:45 PM
    EnBoo

EnBoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB Quicksand Sellout
    Really wanting the smart module after installing the 3x today. Just cant quite pull the trigger yet..

Products Discussed in

To Top