1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Necessity is the mother of...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by elevin, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Sep 13, 2009 at 12:36 AM
    elevin

elevin [OP] Habitual line-stepper

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    South Fla.
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    15% tint over factory all around, U-Haul hitch, Hopkins wiring harness, 2.25" ReadyLift spacer/ AAL kit, 265/70/17's on Gunmetal/Machined Enkeis, JVC head unit w/ Ipod interface, WalMart seat covers, hoseclamp mod, seatbelt beep mod, bedrail bike mounts, 6 D-rings in bed, Pop N Lock
    Well, I need a truck box to free up room inside the cab & also want to get a tonneau. I at first looked to see if they made tri fold covers that had the cab side that folded up, and none in my price range do. Truxedo makes a cool box that works with the track rail system, and slides anywhere you want fore and aft in the bed! So I could use a regular cheap trifold cover like an Extang or Torzatop and get what I want! Small problem....TonneauMate box isnt made for our trucks and is 500 bucks! So... I know I can mod a suitable sized box that is gasketted and weathertight to fit using the same setup as I did for my bike mounts...SS carriage bolts, fender washers and wing nuts. For 500 bucks I could probably buy a nice welder and some aluminum or SS stock ....Hmm...will have to learn to weld...anyone have leads on a box that is inexpensive and slightly slimmer than our truck beds?? Otherwise I am crazy enough to make one!!

2. Sep 13, 2009 at 6:35 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Do you want a toolbox that sits above the rails ? Or do you want the toolbox to sit below the rails and the tonneau covers it ?

Call your local truck accessories shop for some info. I know there are lots of trucks that have toolboxes above the rails and custom cut tonneau covers to fit the 'shortened' bed space. I think a lot of the aftermarket tonneau covers can be shortened simply by cutting the frame work.

I knew a guy who built his own sliding drawler. He built an additional 'floor' (so to speak) of the bed about 8" above the original floor. Underneath it, he put rails & a sliding 'drawer' that slid out the back. The drawer was probably half the size of the bed. The other half (underneath the floor he built) were secret compartments with doors & stuff. It was the coolest thing I've ever seen. The whole thing took up some depth in his bed, but he built it strong enough to still be able to haul stuff onto the floor part that he built.

3. Sep 14, 2009 at 6:18 PM
    elevin

elevin [OP] Habitual line-stepper

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    South Fla.
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    15% tint over factory all around, U-Haul hitch, Hopkins wiring harness, 2.25" ReadyLift spacer/ AAL kit, 265/70/17's on Gunmetal/Machined Enkeis, JVC head unit w/ Ipod interface, WalMart seat covers, hoseclamp mod, seatbelt beep mod, bedrail bike mounts, 6 D-rings in bed, Pop N Lock
    Thanks for replying Janster! I would like a box (steel, aluminum or plastic) that sits below the rail system or maybe that can be attached to the rail system, and locks- I have seen some nice work boxes here that are 2/3 the width of the bed and maybe 18" deep. I am pretty good with fabricating stuff, but would rather buy something premade used if possible. Will keep the forum updated on progress as usual! :)

4. Sep 14, 2009 at 6:29 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Airaid Short Ram Intake, 285x75R16 Mickey Thompson MTZs, 16" Konig Countersteer rims, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    And assumption is the mother of all fuc...

Sorry, I had to.

To Top