1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nede Double-DIN wire stuffing tips

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Lurkin, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Mar 6, 2011 at 4:35 PM
    Lurkin

Lurkin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    I need some tips for stuffing the wiring when installing a double-DIN HU. I was attempting to install my new Pioneer AVH-P4300dvd today, figured it was going to be a easy slam dunk install since I was replacing a single-DIN pioneeer HU. I knew my HD module was going to be problematic and would probably need to be relocated, but I actually removed it while test fitting.

In the end I ran out of daylight and wasn't able to get the new HU fit in. It kept stopping about 3/4 short and I can't tell what I'm running into, something at the top or bottom.

So, what I'd like to know is;

1) where are you stuffing the wiring in a double DIN install
    2) those that have the AVH-P4200 or 4300, how far out of the dash kit is the screen (from the top edge of the dash kit opening)

2. Mar 6, 2011 at 5:10 PM
    wrmathis

wrmathis Dark Lord of the Sith

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bonaire, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    parts and stuff
    i think i stuffed my extra wiring up top if im not mistaken. maybe even low or to the left or right. damn i cant remember but there is a way to go if u look back there. ill let u know soon enough tho. i am gettin a new head unit and puttin my alpine w505 in my new trans am :)

3. Mar 6, 2011 at 5:17 PM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    industrial strength velcro...you can stuff on top of the DDin hanging from the underside of the dash, and to both sides. I had my sirius unit mounted like that, never any issues.

4. Mar 7, 2011 at 5:40 AM
    Lurkin

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Thanks so far, anyone else? Don't let the fact that I can't spell "nede" stop you from posting :)

I was thinking of putting the HD Radio module up under the dash, not sure though.

5. Mar 7, 2011 at 7:53 AM
    novataco

novataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    Aries bull bar, Lund grill screen, blackened h/l, Weathertech plastic all over, Access LE tonneau, window tint, tube steps, DF-Toy aux adapter, cig plug always on, console vault, hitch step, 1700 watt in-cab inverter and dual battery (in-progress), Delta bike hitch mounts
    I had the same problem and my installer bundled the wires together in two different bunches then wrapped them tight with electrical tape, so they resembled two black snakes. It compressed a lot of the mass and it went in much easier. One went towards the left, the other towards the right.

6. Mar 8, 2011 at 5:24 AM
    Lurkin

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Thanks again for the input. The problem that I was having ended up being 10% wire stuffing and 90% from my AUX input cord. The AUX plug was too long and was stopping it from going back. Once I removed that cable, a bit of wire routing and it was in.

7. Mar 8, 2011 at 8:11 PM
    01Tac0ma

01Tac0ma Bash Fabriction & Off-Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    SAS 01 TRD 4x4
    Look at build!
    I stuffed all my extra wires behind that access panel with the switch cut-outs in it, my problem was all the extra hook-ups, back up camera, dvd screen out 1,2,3, etc. but it was a very tight fit, i also had the Planet Audio HU so it may have had more wires. but at least you got it in! Did you have to do any trimming to your bezel piece for the screent o flip down or anything?

8. Mar 9, 2011 at 5:35 AM
    Lurkin

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    I have a 2nd Gen, so there is no space on the bottom side of the HU. Have to use the sides and top. As for bezel trimming, no, the Schoshe fit like a glove once the wiring was cleared.

9. Mar 9, 2011 at 10:25 AM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    I have a steering wheel control interface box, a TR7 brake bypass box, and the large stuff associated with the DD on mine, so I had quite a bit to stuff. I zip tied or taped as much as possible about 10" from the back of the DD unit, and then held it in place, reached behind the unit and pushed the boxes up over the steel cross brace. The large boxes being up there, along with most of the wires, allowed everything to fit nicely.

I will be making my own RCA cables in the next month or two for the install, and when I do that I will tape up each wire individually, including disconnecting all the speaker wires, and compress everything down as compact as possible at that time. For now, getting the wires above that cross brace bar seemed to be the best option for me.

10. Mar 9, 2011 at 2:08 PM
    sac130e

sac130e Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Milton, FL.
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Off-Road 2wd
    JVC Nav. System and entire Memphis Audio Speakers/Amps
    What do you mean by "TRD Brake Bypass Box". I am about to install my system and read that you could just take that wire and ground it out to be able to watch DVD while moving.

11. Mar 9, 2011 at 2:49 PM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    TR7, from PAC http://pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=717&CategoryID=31

The grounding "trick" works, but you usually have to put in a switch you have to hit twice, or set up a relay system with a switch. This is simple, clean, and pretty cheap.

12. Mar 9, 2011 at 2:54 PM
    01Tac0ma

01Tac0ma Bash Fabriction & Off-Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    SAS 01 TRD 4x4
    Look at build!
    :eek: I thought you had a 1st gen, anyway glad you got it workin for you!

13. Mar 9, 2011 at 4:17 PM
    sac130e

sac130e Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Milton, FL.
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Off-Road 2wd
    JVC Nav. System and entire Memphis Audio Speakers/Amps
    I may end up taking this to Best Buy to install...I wonder if they will set this up or if its against their policy.

Thx

14. Mar 9, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    xwillx93

xwillx93 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    MBRP "Cool Duals" dual side swept exhaust, Volant Intake, Blacked Out Tail lights, Touchscreen Kenwood DDx616 with a 10" Kicker CVR in a custom Box, 2 Kicker Comp 6" Speakers, Removed front and rear mud flaps, Weathertech Floormats, Kobalt Slim Toolbox, Chevrolet Air compressor
    I just kinda bundled it up with zip ties, threw it in the corners mostly cuz theres a lotta space, and ya. it only took a hammer to get it in :D

15. Mar 9, 2011 at 5:38 PM
    Dirty5Thirty

Dirty5Thirty TW's BAD MF'er Squad

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Auburn, CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner SR5
    Dog hair
    I have the AVH-P4200 with a lot of extra wires and shit coming out the back.

I stuffed a good amount of the wiring house, RCA, remote, etc. cables inside the dash, to the left, towards the gaugues. I wrapped mine into loops and fed each separate cable in one at a time, to try and keep them untangled.

As for the spacing of my deck, I have the Scosche dash kit, so it comes pretty flush. the bottom part of the kit is recessed so as to accommodate the bottom area of the deck with plenty of room.

It's a perfect fit

16. Mar 10, 2011 at 6:25 AM
    Lurkin

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Thanks again everyone for all the input, like I said a few posts above, my AUX cable end was the major culprit. As for the wiring, I used both the left and right side areas for the cables, DVD relay, and fuse boxes for the SWI and HD Radio module. I put the HD Radio module into the space up under the dash board, and between the Y that the cabin air vent tubes make behind the HU. My SWI box is zip tied just to the left of the glovebox, just incase I need to re-program it at any point.

I do need to pull the HU out though as I have something that's rattling pretty bad.

17. Mar 10, 2011 at 1:10 PM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    Just take your time and place the bigger things in the crevaces. I a shit ton of wires hooked up to my iva-w505 with just about every accessories alpine makes, you can make it fit

18. Mar 11, 2011 at 3:28 AM
    Dirty5Thirty

Dirty5Thirty TW's BAD MF'er Squad

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Auburn, CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner SR5
    Dog hair
    Exactly. You could have a spool worth of wires running back there. Dont forget about all the room you have running behind your glove box!

Products Discussed in

To Top