1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need a Few Answers From Experienced Owners/Drivers

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by History, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Feb 9, 2013 at 7:37 AM
    History

History [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First off hello to everyone, first post here for me.

I purchased a 1983 single cab short bed 4 cyl that a buddy of mine bought new when we were in high school. When I got it it had 250k on it, the odometer had stopped. It didnt use a drop of oil. No telling how many miles were on it. Everything worked. It was rusted bad, frame finaly gave up. People parked away from me in a parking lot. It was the most satisfying vehicle I have ever owned.

I purchase an 89 4x4 6 cyl , long story short, the worst vehicle i have ever owned. :mad:

I am finally in position to buy a small truck again, I hope I can get some truthful answers as far as mpg on the v6 and 4cyl Taco with access cab. I just read the thread about the hopeful changes to the 2014 taco. I also wish the Hi-lux was available here in the US.

My problem is it seems most small trucks now don't do much better than full size on gas ,why not just go full-size?

A few thoughts if you will would be appreciated?

Thanks in advance and again Hello to everyone.

2. Feb 9, 2013 at 8:00 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    So which truck are you thinking about? A 5 lugger, pre-runner, or 4x4? All three factors make a little difference in mpgs.

My 2011 DC 4x4 V6 was averaging 19+ before I started with the mods. Did get over 20 on long runs but mostly drive city type miles since I don't live that far from work.

As far as real world mpg's on trucks I would suggest looking at other forums also to see what people are actually getting. Most of us know that manufacturers will fudge the numbers. With that said, most full size do seem to get close to the same if not better but I bought mine because I've always wanted a Tacoma 4x4 for the reliability, value, and looks. I've just always loved these trucks, but the 1st gens were a bit small for me so when the 2nd gens came out I fell in love all over again. This is not to say I don't like the 1st gens, but I personally love the size of the 2nd's. I traded a Dodge Ram QC Hemi. It was BIG and really more than I needed. Of course that truck only got on a good tank 15 mpg's. Doesn't sound like a lot but I still save $20-30 a tank even now with my mods averaging 18 mpg's. My fuelly isn't very accurate right now since I just leveled my truck. Haven't drove long enough to see if that will affect it that much though.

To me the question of full size vs mid is do you need the size, or do you need a V8 for towing? My truck will do for me for either that I need. Do kinda wish I got a long bed though.

3. Feb 9, 2013 at 8:11 AM
    Jux

Jux :D

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2013 V6 4x4 SW DCSB TRD OR
    I'm getting around 16.5 mpg per tank on my 2011 Access Cab V6. It's at 15K miles and the mileage has been creeping up from around 15 when I got it at 12K miles.

4. Feb 9, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Very good question. I am not brand loyal so I will tell you the 05+ Tacomas have a laundry list of issues that should of been taken care of long ago. From frames rusting out to very poor quality paint and numerous engineering snafus during design. These trucks like others have problems so stick around and do some research before you pull the trigger. You just need to find out on your own if the issues Toyotas have are acceptable to you vs the other manufacturers issues.

and just because it's a Toyota doesn't mean you shouldn't get the 10/100,000 mile warranty. I made that mistake and it would of saved me thousands of dollars.

also if you tow heavy all the time your gas mileage will be around 10mpg at BEST.

5. Feb 9, 2013 at 8:20 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I get a consistent 15MPG driving around town. The worst I have ever seen was 13.5 or so. That tank was almost all 5 miles at a time, took me a month to get through a tank, this is not my daily driver.

On the highway I get a consistent 18.5-19 MPG. I set the cruise on 70 and don't try to coax any more economy out of it. The six speed manual trans is well known for giving a MPG or two less than the automatic. I have seen 20-21MPG on long interstate drives outside of CA. We have oxygenated gasoline here year round, that cuts MPG.

The original window sticker rating for my particular model was 14/18 city/hwy.

My dad just bought a 2013 Prerunner TRD V6 auto. He is getting a consistent 17MPG in town. He lives in the same town as I do, so same gas, traffic, etc. I have not yet heard back from him on highway MPG, but expect that he will see 21MPG or better on the road, given the Prerunner automatic configuration. Edit: He's getting 21MPG on the road. Lots of 75-80MPH driving on the interstate in AZ.

If you want a bigger truck, by all means go fullsize. I did not buy this truck for MPG. I bought it because I have wanted one for a long time, and I have a company truck to drive to work, so MPG does not make much difference.

6. Feb 9, 2013 at 8:24 AM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Some good thoughts here. I agree, it's just a truck, not a rolling miracle machine. Things can and do go wrong, and I have buddies with Chevy trucks that are rolling up on 200K with not a lot of issues.

7. Feb 9, 2013 at 8:52 AM
    miniceptor86

miniceptor86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    McGregor,IA
    Vehicle:
    07 Speedway Blue Prerunner Dbl cab
    TRD sport exhaust and cold air intake, nerf and bull bar, RideRide, ProEFX towing mirrors, BakFlip F1 trifold tonneau
    For me it was a matter of size. I had a 92 Ranger STX extra cab and a 2000 Ram Reg cab 4x4 work truck. I liked the size of the Tacoma, bigger inside than the Ranger same wheel base. Dodge was just too big especially when I needed the double cab for the young grand kids.
    I like the overall scale of the Tacoma. It has the same wheel base as the Ranger and I like the height of the Prerunner SB (I really don't need 4x4). I thought about the long box but didn't like the longer wheel base trade off.

8. Feb 9, 2013 at 9:15 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    lol at the pussy leaving me neutral rep and calling me a douche for my true post. next time leave your name in the rep or send me a pm you little bitch.

Just trying to help people out by stating the facts.

9. Feb 9, 2013 at 9:18 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    :rofl:

Doyb = [​IMG]

10. Feb 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

hey pal don't make me drive up to PA :laugh:

11. Feb 9, 2013 at 9:33 AM
    History

History [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I need 4x4 for sure, this would be my running around taking kids to appointments picking up at school do all vehicle. In do all i mean almost driving like a car and hauling small things. I have several other vehicles to cover towing and hauling groups of people (our kids and their friends). I (think) I want a 4cyl 4x4 with access cab but if it has no power or is weak but milage wise is close to a v6 then,,,,,,,. I haven't had a chance to drive one yet as I have just seriously started thinking about buying. Finally got the wife the suburban so we are covered as far as that vehicle covers things (house with a v8). We also have a prius that is awesome imo, I have got 54.8 mpg with it two kids wife and myself in the mountains here in NC , of course I was trying to get the best I could. My wife gets around 46 ( I get car sick riding with her):confused:. So I guess I like the 1st gen better but to be honest I have not even sat in a 2nd gen. I hope that helps with my questions.

Seems I want a golf cart with 4x4 and nice interior.

12. Feb 9, 2013 at 10:09 AM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    Go drive one for sure and see what the 4cyl is like in your normal terrain.

If it helps, I drive an 09 2wd regular cab, non prerunner at work. It is 4cyl 5speed and gets 18mpg in mixed driving, smaller city type traffic, and 15-20 mile runs on the freeway mixed in. It has a high profile camper shell on it and is loaded down. I've never weighed it, but I'd guess it's got 1,000 pounds in it including me. We have a 7% grade that is 2.5 miles long just outside of town that I drive regularly. It has the ability to pull 70MPH up that hill, but it requires 3rd gear to do that. I am regularly out of 5th gear on smaller grades as well to maintain 70MPH. If you go drive a 4cyl, 4x4 and experience similar grade climbing characteristics, expect that the fuel mileage will be similar, and a v6 might make more sense. My v6 4x4 climbs the same 7% grade in 6th gear at 70mph with two people in it and my campershell mounted. It's not that I think the 4cyl truck is stressed out in that situation, I don't feel like I am shortening it's life running it that hard, but I doubt it's saving any fuel in the hilly terrain over the v6.

13. Feb 9, 2013 at 10:10 AM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    The gas mileage these things get depends largely on driving habits, driving conditions, and maybe dumb luck. My 4wd, 5 speed, access cab seems to get considerably better mileage than most of the others mentioned here. When I first got the truck it got around 22 to 24 mpg. Now it is getting consistently above 27.

As for quality issues--it is probably not as good as the older ones, but it is still a Toyota, better than any other I have looked at.

14. Feb 9, 2013 at 10:24 AM
    PnoyBOS5

PnoyBOS5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 PRERUNNER
    Maxtrac 4'' Spindes -Bilsteins 5100 @ 1.75" - All Pro Expo Leaf Pack - Extended Rear Shocks - PC 5001 wheels - 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs - Debadged -Red emblem - AFE Pro Dry-S Filter
    13' Prerunner 4x2 v6

I drive it like I stole it. JK, When I merge I hit it hard and cruise at 70-75,
    city I drive normal and speed limit. It's pretty good on gas.

Screenshot_2013-02-09-10-21-09.jpg

15. Feb 9, 2013 at 6:02 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    I am pretty well averaging around 19 with winter gas and v6. As far as a laundry list of problems with 2nd gen, I really haven't seen anything on the board or had anything that made me concerned to drive the truck...unlike the strawberry milkshake issue with 05 to 10 Frontiers.

16. Feb 9, 2013 at 6:19 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I wouldn't go with a 4 banger if you plan on towing anything or if you live in the mountains. I have stock 265/70/16 tires and get a consistent 18 mpg's on average but if I keep the speed lower than 70 I get about 20 mpg's . I had a first gen 4 cylinder and the six cylinder power has spoiled me, I could never go back.

I agree with the other posts about the quality, I haven't seen any issues. I guess some people are more demanding than me maybe, complaining about things like an unlit 4x4 switch or no bed light.

17. Feb 12, 2013 at 2:58 PM
    guitar2323

guitar2323 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    clint
    saratoga springs new york
    Vehicle:
    2013 access cab TX Pro
    Mr Azreb what year is your truck?what engine do you have?

18. Feb 13, 2013 at 10:40 AM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    '09, 2.7l 4-banger, 5 spd, 4wd, access cab, base model, mechanically stock, with camper shell

19. Feb 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM
    PaintDrinkingPete

PaintDrinkingPete Well-Known Member

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    I have a 2012 DC 4x4 V6 (manual trans). Generally get around 14mpg driving around town, 17-18 on the highway if I can keep it in 6th. I could go on about the 6 speed manual transmission could be geared better to get better highway mileage, but that's a different topic. To me, the gas mileage of this truck isn't great, and certainly not a selling point of it...but it's not horrible either.

FWIW, I owned an '86 pickup (4 cylinder) and loved it.

Regarding the question about "why not just go full size?"...For me, it's not just a matter of gas mileage. I live in an urban area and have to drive downtown quite a bit for work, and having a smaller truck makes things SO much easier in terms or parking and maneuvering. Parallel parking, small parking spots and parking garages with ridiculously low clearances are prime reasons why I wanted a Tacoma vs. a full-sized pickup. For the same reason, if I lived in a more rural area and/or had to haul large loads more frequently, then I'd get the full sized even if gas mileage was considerably worse.

Overall, this is my 4th Toyota truck, and I'm quite happy with it. As others have mentioned, I'd test drive a few. The 4 cylinder engines are better now than they were in the 80's in terms of power, but for me I really liked the V6 better.

Products Discussed in

To Top