1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need a little help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by supakpow, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Feb 6, 2011 at 1:32 AM
    supakpow

supakpow [OP] Member

Member:
    Kona
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD
    Hello all! New on the forum, been trolling for a while. Love all the great trucks you guys have built.

So here is my problem...... just bought a white 06 dblcab sport from San Diego. My 2000 tacoma ext cab was totaled in a recent accident when someone hit my wife head on. No serious injuries except our truck. Insurance company screwed us of course. The search was on to get a newer truck and dbl cab, Yeah!
    I live in Kona Hawaii so had to buy sight unseen from mainland as they are unbelievably expensive around here(literally every other truck here is a Toyota 05 or newer and usually a dbl cab and obviously gold plated). The price difference was about $6000.00 even after shipping. Pasha Shipping was great.
    Waiting for it to arrive was miserable! Finally it arrives in Hilo on the other side of the island. The wife and I take the day off to go pick it up. 2 hour drive later and we get to the Pasha lot and there it is! I'm trying not to be too excited. We don't have to wait, just walked in the office and they have us sign some papers and then we go out to inspect it for any damage during Shipping. Looks great, no problems.................so we thought.

The guy says can you look inside and make sure everything is good. I open the door and ...........................I'm punched in the face by a wave of stench. The dealer had lied and I am now the proud owner of a "smokers car". Bought it from a Toyota dealer, certified pre-owned. Asked all the right question etc... The rest of the truck is great except that. After the ride home from Hilo I smell like an ashtray. I feel like I've been kicked in the nuts. The first thing my wife says, with a look of complete disappointment is "this was a smokers cars wasn't it?" We are both so let down.

So I'm in the process of completely gutting the interior to detail it down to the sheet metal. I researched it and found that most people say if you don't do it thoroughly then the smell comes back. I have EVERYTHING out, seats, panels, trim, carpet and dash. The AC also stinks so I'm pulling everything to clean the vents, blower, etc.

The problem is that I can't get the final part of the dash out. The top part that covers the whole dashboard that you put a dash mat on. I got a manual and pulled all the bolts and clips but there seem to be a few in the very back up by the windshield that won't come loose. I don't want to break them and have rattles so I stopped and have been trying to find how to do this. several forums and lots of searches later and I haven't seen anything yet. So if anybody has any experience with this, or a link to a thread they remember, please let me know how to do it so I can get this thing back together for work this week!

Also, any ideas for getting rid of smoke smell are appreciated.

Thanks in advance, KP

2. Feb 6, 2011 at 1:59 AM
    supakpow

supakpow [OP] Member

Member:
    Kona
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD
    I got the factory one, but it only shows pulling like 6 bolts on the front on page IP14. Has some ok diagrams but no mention of the clips in the back.

KP

3. Feb 6, 2011 at 4:32 AM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    fresh air! fresh air is your best cleaner, keep the windows open as much and as long as you can and in time the smell will s-l-o-w-l-y go away.

I would like to comment about you said "the insurance co screwed you"
    No they didn't screw you, you just didn't have the correct insurance coverage you wanted, most people go for the cheapest price on auto insurance, but with the cheapest price you get what you pay for when it comes time to make a claim.
    Call your insurance agent, ask the simple questions, are you covered for this and that, suppose I total my truck, how much money will I get ,, simple questions like that.

4. Feb 6, 2011 at 5:06 AM
    TRD4x4JIM

TRD4x4JIM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JIM
    Hartland U S A
    Vehicle:
    2010 toyota tacoma TRD 4X4 OFFROAD
    4.0L V6 DOHC 24V 236hp 5 Speed Auto trans Part Time 4x4 2 Speed Transfer case Auto LSD, 16" TRD wheels, VSC TRAC TPMS, TRD OFF-ROAD EXTRA VALUE PACKAGE.... OFF-ROAD TUNED Suspension, Bilstein Shocks... Locking Differential.. VSC + ATRAC , HAC, DAC, SKID PLATES TOW HOOKS POWER INVERTER,FOG LAMPS , WINDOW TINT, RUNNING BOARDS ROOF RACK DOOR SILL PROTECTORS hot plug for my cell phone... A R E camper shell
    :wave:Hello and Welcome to T W...
    sorry to here that bro who was the Toyota dealer,Did you get back to them ? JIM

5. Feb 6, 2011 at 11:24 AM
    supakpow

supakpow [OP] Member

Member:
    Kona
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD
    Thanks for replies. I don't want to bad mouth the dealer. The salesman was the problem.

Bartstar, you don't know the specifics of what happened with my insurance co., so please don't comment about it. Had full coverage, small deductible. Truck was paid for. They paid almost $4000.00 less than BB. they said they use their own books to value. Used comps that were 6 months old and private party which lowers the average they come up with to value the vehicle. Hawaii law says it has to be available from a dealer. The comps were of different model trucks than mine I4 not V6. They wouldn't pay sales tax until I showed them in the Hawaii ins code they have to by law. They didn't tell me that the topper wasn't included in the valuation and that I could remove it until I asked. Or even my brand new BFG tires.

After talking calmly and reasonably with adjuster, who was very polite, they agreed to do another valuation. Second one came back $ 500.00 LESS. They insist they they can't deviate from the valuation so that's all the money I get. Do you think they will tell you that they won't give you full value when you ask them? They say cash market value, but they determine market value, the actual market doesn't. The agent you sign up with is not and adjuster. They are just like some shady car salesmen (not all just some), not matter what you ask you will get half truths or the answer that sounds the best. Just like the Toyota dealer salesman that said my truck had not been smoked in (keep in mind the rest of the truck was as expected). This is a large well known national insurance company not a back alley company. I'm sure this isn't the first time this has happened to someone. Insurance companies are all about balance. They push the limit of what they can get away with without getting in too much trouble and losing too many customers. I hope if this happens to you you were a smarter consumer than I was and "you just didn't have the correct insurance coverage you wanted, most people go for the cheapest price on auto insurance, but with the cheapest price you get what you pay for when it comes time to make a claim".
    Anyway, i don't want this to be about insurance. I just needed help with the dashboard.

To Top