1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need a LOT of advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Gekicker08, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Oct 25, 2009 at 1:48 PM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    Get a tacoma yourself?

2. Oct 25, 2009 at 1:49 PM
    Gekicker08

Gekicker08 [OP] Finally in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC TRD OR 4x4 Inferno
    Well, they aren't really buyin it out right... I have worked for all of my vehicles (5) up to this point, this mustang was GIVEN to me by a co worker of my sister's and I have spent a lot of my own hard earned money to fix it to make it as nice and reliable as possible. I'm also getting this car because my parents are tired of me spending my own money modifying and building these cars since I don't have time for a job since i've played college football for the past four years and only can work in the summer, but, something about the before and after of even the smallest part on the car is addicting to me, whether it be a lift kit for one of the two jeeps i've owned to the lowering steeda stage two suspension kit I've put on this mustang. I know how to work on and fix all of my cars since I study and put time and effort into the rebuild and build up of all of my vehicles. I don't take anything for granted, I have always had to work for everything I have ever gotten from the scholarship to Mississippi state to the straight A's and B's I've gotten to keep me in school. I am no spoiled person and I will never be the guy you hear about taking advantage of someone or something, a Tacoma would be the ideal choice for me in this venue since i'm in my last two semesters of college, I have internships lined up for the summer that involve me moving to the location and a truck as nice and reliable as the tacoma would be perfect. I didn't mean to come off as a snot-nosed little prick, I just merely needed assistance in convincing my parents not to buy me a kia spectra or a hyundai accent... Pics are scary btw

3. Oct 25, 2009 at 1:54 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Just ask.

4. Oct 25, 2009 at 1:54 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Well...If its indeed YOUR car, they cant take it from you. Have them donat ethe Hunyia

5. Oct 25, 2009 at 2:04 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    I'll be honest here, my first car was given to me by my parents. (I was 15) It was a 1965 Mustang. Sweet!!! NOT REALLY. It was a rusty hunk of shite, and the deal was I had a year to make into something nice. I worked under the table at a local diner, and all my money went to that car. Birthdays and christmas got me some good parts but the sweat equity was all mine. I learned the value of the dollar and the value of my hard work. I went to a family reunion on my 16th birthday and when I came home I found my car, that was in primer when i left, a nice shiny red when I got home. My point is, earn it,(sounds like you did) respect it, fix it, and then you may be able to keep it. Just show the willingness to do it yourself, and the respect you show the folks just might win them over. Good luck

6. Oct 25, 2009 at 3:40 PM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    So Ge, you're around 22yrs old than right ? How is the relationship between you and your parents. Sounds like they feel you're still 15yrs old. Anyhow i'd just tell them if you have a pickup cough 4x4 they won't have to worry about you in increment weather, potholes will be no problem, and most importantly if they ever need you to move anything for them you'll be there in a flash

7. Oct 25, 2009 at 3:52 PM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    If his parents are smart they'll laugh at him when he says that.

8. Oct 25, 2009 at 3:58 PM
    Reidm3

Reidm3 Active Member

Member:
    What's the problem?

If you're self sufficient, as you claim, your parents cannot force you to donate your Mustang.

I'm not sure why you tell your parents when your car breaks though. That's odd. I would think you would only tell your parents if you were trying to con them into buying a modification for you. Personally, I have never heard of someone damaging their exhaust on a pothole. Steeda suspension packages are not especially low either.

9. Oct 25, 2009 at 4:49 PM
    Gekicker08

Gekicker08 [OP] Finally in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC TRD OR 4x4 Inferno
    Cars are the topic of conversation between my dad and I, and mods and breakage are the first question he asks. I'm not self sufficient yet, I am 21 and I would like to be self sufficient but it just isn't possible at this point. I think donating the car wouldn't be a bad thing since I can name the price on the tax return...

10. Oct 25, 2009 at 4:59 PM
    Evans381

Evans381 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Rome, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Toytec ultimate coilovers. 5% Window tint. 40% windshield. Kenwood DDX372BT Monitor. JL Audio 12w0v3 subwoofer set in ported Q-Bomb box. 20" Gear Alloy Recoil wheels wrapped in Cooper Zeon LTZ tires
    My parents bought my truck brand new when I was 16 and I think I was worth it. If your a good kid just tell them if they love you they should buy you a Tacoma. :)

11. Oct 25, 2009 at 5:08 PM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    stop being a spoiled little brat and accept the gift your parents are giving you.

12. Oct 25, 2009 at 5:08 PM
    NMG

NMG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    If I had to be given an economy car by my parents, it would be a Honda Fit. They are a blast :)

Now that being said, at your age I'd be more apt to just say "thanks for the offer mom and dad, but I'm old enough to make my own decisions so I'm going to . . .". Then you just make a plan, stick with it and do it. Whether that means keeping your Stang, saving some money and eventually buying the Taco or whatever, just figure out what YOU want and do it. You are old enough to make your own decisions and old enough to be accountable for them.

Good luck!

13. Oct 25, 2009 at 5:14 PM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    Honestly I dont' see why a parent can't get their kid a new car. If the kid is lazy , gets by in class, and doesn't do sh*t with their free time than i understand. But there are alot of good, atheltic, smart, kids that really have a packed schedule. Now a first car should always be used ( fender benders, we all had them at that age ) but by graduation or in college there is reason why its so terrible if a parent gets a kid a new car. And based of careers this guys parents are making reallly good money. ( anesthesiologist median salary is $300k ) this guy isn't asking for a new bmw or a merc. He's asking for a friggin taco

14. Nov 29, 2009 at 9:58 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    Im assuming many people said the same, Im kinda lazy to read it all but I say suggest a 2.7L taco and if they refuse, accept your new car gratefully. I couldnt get my parents to help me buy a book in college, let alone a car. Appreciate it all, but it doesnt hurt to ask.

15. Nov 30, 2009 at 12:28 AM
    bryan83taco

bryan83taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawai’i
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport 4x4
    Ya know what really grinds my gears...

Slow down and be thankful for what you got

16. Nov 30, 2009 at 2:28 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    learn to drive better and avoid the predicament altogether.

Otherwise, shut up and drive what you're given. Or buy your own car.

17. Nov 30, 2009 at 2:44 AM
    808matt

808matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    19 Ranger
    for my 18th birthday my dad told me hes gonna start charging me rent and told me he wont charge me for that month. that was my gift. i was still in highschool that ahole. lol

18. Nov 30, 2009 at 3:08 AM
    ak47

ak47 v.hey its my Avatar avatar.v

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    stock 2nd owner
    haha all you guys are right.. i had to "BUY" my parents old taurus from them and heck i drove that thing for ALONG time before i bought what i wanted. r.e.s.p.e.c.t is the key. be grateful if they buy you a reliable geo. its alot more then most people have!!

19. Nov 30, 2009 at 3:51 AM
    AvsFanTRD

AvsFanTRD Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
    At first I was willing to help since I saw you were from Hattiesburg and I went to college at Southern Miss. Then you went and said you go to school at Mississippi State!:mad: So now I'm out, good luck to you with whatever happens...

But seriously, I have been driving POS cars up intil I got my tacoma this year. I have wanted a truck for years but it just wasn't in the cards. If the parents are footing the bill, accept it until you can afford the taco on your own. If you want to make an argument with them, the best I can tell you is that if you can help pay for the tacoma to do that. Don't know if your internship is paid. If it is, you can help pay for payments, if not then get a 2nd job and use the money for that to help with payments. Otherwise, it looks like you have your life all in order and as soon as you graduate and the internship is over, you'll have a good paying job with the funds of your own. So if you can't get it now, it looks like you'll be good to go within a year or two.

20. Nov 30, 2009 at 5:14 AM
    bishtacova

bishtacova Don't buy a Ford

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC PreRunner V6
    4 leaf TSB, reflash ECM, Eurostyle antenna, thule roof rack, bed extender
    Unbelievable, what a BS post. Grow up and buy your own toys. This forum is for adults, not spoiled children. Your parents should be chided for even buying you crap in the first place.:mad:

Products Discussed in

To Top