1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need A New Camera! SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Pope953, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Nov 3, 2010 at 7:43 AM
    Pope953

Pope953 [OP] That's a fact Jack!

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    35% up front, 20% in the back window tint, 15" Mickey Thompson bullet hole wheels, with 31x10.5 Firestone Destination A/T tires. Glass Pack, High Flow Cat, S&B CAI, Custom Light Bar with 4 fog lights. 2 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 subs with 1000 watt Rockford Fosgate Amp, CB.
  2. Nov 3, 2010 at 8:22 AM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    if you can swipe a D80 for your first camera you will be in awesome shape. that would be a great first.

3. Nov 3, 2010 at 8:42 AM
    Pope953

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    35% up front, 20% in the back window tint, 15" Mickey Thompson bullet hole wheels, with 31x10.5 Firestone Destination A/T tires. Glass Pack, High Flow Cat, S&B CAI, Custom Light Bar with 4 fog lights. 2 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 subs with 1000 watt Rockford Fosgate Amp, CB.
    Awesome man thanks, Im going to look into it!

4. Nov 3, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    I don't know, that will just leave him wanting a canon later down the road:p

5. Nov 3, 2010 at 11:26 AM
    kjf216

kjf216 Fitz

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Ridley Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    Head unit, speakers, LEDs
    buy a D70 or D70s. i have a D70s with an 18-70 lens they are older and have been discontinued but it fits a DX lens so u can easily upgrade still. it has an auto mode so can still do simple shots. was one of the most popular entry level professional camera so there should be plenty of used one prob $400-500. If i had the cash too step up to the D90 i would sell u mine but thats not going to happen any time soon. is a great all around camera.

6. Nov 3, 2010 at 1:59 PM
    Pope953

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    haha! You guys confuse me!! jk you guys are really helpful! Im going tonight to browse around and look at some and hold them.

7. Nov 3, 2010 at 2:16 PM
    cummins6speed

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    Im just kidding. They are equal for the most part. I am just partial to the canon's because I think they feel better, and I like the menus better. So go to best buy or something and compare the two and see which one you like better then do some research

8. Nov 4, 2010 at 7:18 AM
    Pope953

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    Haha, ok guys I went and checked them out and liked them both. I liked the canon a little better, anc like cummins6speed said the menu on the canon was easier to navigate. But that would get better over time with the Nikon. Im going to keep doing the research. but I do have one question, maybe yall can answer it. When I was in the M mode on the nikon (which is manual mode I think) but anyway it was like the camera never focused, the pictures i took with it were always blurry. was i doing something wrong? or was i not focusing it? When i looked through the eyepiece it looked focused but when the picture took it was blurry???

9. Nov 4, 2010 at 8:35 AM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    what, when theyre out of the DSLR game? :p

10. Nov 4, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    ok first off. canons are no way in hell easier to operate. and im not just saying this because im a nikon guy.
    if i were to show you both i could prove to you thta nikons are easier to navigate...i know canon shooters that say nikons are more user friendly than canon.

and aout the blurryness, you must of accidentally hit the blurry switch on the lens? because manual mode isnt also manual focus. just shutter speed, aperture, ISO, WB...etc etc...

but beffore you say you like one better than the other....go in and play with them thoroughly...and try to do specific functions on both brand of camera...i promise you will find nikons to be more user friendly.

but in the end its not about user friendliness, brand....or any of that garbage.
    its about what brand is more comfortable in your hand because you are going to be holding it all the time. make sure you grab the camera that has a better build and feel to you... thats all that really matters.

11. Nov 4, 2010 at 8:57 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    X2

I have shot with a Cannon 5D before I bought my D300s and I personally think Nikon bodys are way more user friendly. I lover Nikkor class Nikon's Optics are the best IMO I also like the low light capabilities of the lower MP censers yeah the higher MP's of the Cannons is nice for cropping but if you framed the image properly when you pressed the shutter you don't have to crop.

But the choice is yours just go play with a few before you buy you will be able to take great images with just about any DSLR i know i took some fantastic images with my D60 back in the day that i still use in my Portfolio today.

12. Nov 4, 2010 at 11:18 AM
    cummins6speed

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I've heard that before too, which is why I sat down and played with a Nikon and I hated it

13. Nov 4, 2010 at 11:19 AM
    Pope953

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    Damn I wish you guys were close so I could meet up with you guys and chat about it. I wish I could have someone go with me and properly show me what I was doing and what to look for. I know what I want, but not what Im looking for if that makes any sense??? I know I want to spend the money a DSLR, and I know both cameras are almost identical but the lenses make them different. Haha what should I look for next time I go look, such as what will make me notice that one is easier to use than the other?

14. Nov 4, 2010 at 5:59 PM
    USFCON

USFCON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Melbourne, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 Off Road
    FLM URD Short Shifter Debadged Gate 4 D-ring add on Weathertech floor mats Sport Wheel Swap Color matched Grill Bed lights Air freshner mod AAL Bilstein x 4 Tacolean Spacer Tins Bike Fork Mount Sexy Tires Blacked out Valence
    My brothers camera for sale the D80 is a awesome camera....takes pics like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Nov 4, 2010 at 7:28 PM
    Pope953

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    Damn good photos man. Your making it tempting, really tempting. I need to go play with the Nikons a little more.

16. Nov 4, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    USFCON

USFCON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Melbourne, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 Off Road
    FLM URD Short Shifter Debadged Gate 4 D-ring add on Weathertech floor mats Sport Wheel Swap Color matched Grill Bed lights Air freshner mod AAL Bilstein x 4 Tacolean Spacer Tins Bike Fork Mount Sexy Tires Blacked out Valence
    Last photo count was around 30,000. Once you get it, you won't want to put it down. $600.... :D

either way, good luck with your search

17. Nov 5, 2010 at 9:46 AM
    Pope953

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    Alright I do have another question, on top of the camera there is a little screen on the Nikon, and I have seen it on other cameras, what is that there for? Cause the past few I have looked at don't have them on there?

18. Nov 5, 2010 at 10:19 AM
    zeroendless

zeroendless Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Stock
    Hey, don't let anyone talk you down on which brand to get, and don't let any samples photos decide which camera you want to get.

In reality, it's all came down to lens selection, type of photography you want do and the cost of available lens, but not camera functions.

If you think you may spend more than $5000 lenses in the future, then brand may be important and you probably need to decide now. You should take a close look on optics selection first then camera. If you are looking for an entry camera with couple lenses to play with, both system have more than plenty to offer you. Go to the store, hold both models in hand, don't let the sale person get in your head, get familiar with the control dial and switches. See which one you like better.

Have fun and good luck hunting.

19. Nov 5, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    zeroendless

zeroendless Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Stock
    You probably refer that to the viewfinder or info display screen. I say the latter, which functions as electronic display for your camera settings.

20. Nov 5, 2010 at 12:52 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    X2 you have to know that canon and nikon arent camera companies. theyre lens companies. most of their camera parts are third party, like sony makes nikons image sensors.

anyways. Canon makes great tele/super telephoto lenses. nikon makes amazing wide/ultra wide/standard lenses.

and in the end if nikon were better than canon then canon would be out of business, if canon were better then nikon would be out of business

read this
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/nikon-vs-canon.htm

Products Discussed in

To Top