1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need a new ShortBox in Florida!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bender, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Jun 28, 2012 at 6:30 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Not the brightest thing to do IMO. I guess it would make your insurance go up If you had an excessive number of claims. Sorry for the thread jack. I just don't understand it unless you have a crappy driving record.

2. Jun 28, 2012 at 8:26 PM
    RadSurfTaco

RadSurfTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    In Ocean or My Taco...trolling up & down Hwy 1
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner MGM DC SB

Can't explain it any more simply. Guess you need to get out in the world and some real life experience to figure it out lol...

3. Jun 29, 2012 at 6:02 AM
    knucklehead

knucklehead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    You seem to be intellectually challenged, so i will explain it to you very simply.

Insurance costs $40/month ($480/year).
    Insurance with redundant coverage costs $150/month (that is an extra $1320/year on top of the $480).
    Insurance with redundant coverage + claims costs $250/month (that is an extra $2520/year on top of the $480).

Paying damages out of pocket and you pay for it once.
    Paying for redundant coverage is like paying for damage that didnt even happen. Continuously (i.e., pay for it once every year).
    Claiming against redundant coverage is like paying for that damage twice every year. Now 2 years gave gone by, you've paid for it FOUR TIMES, meanwhile, since I just paid it out of pocket, I've still only paid for it once.

4. Jun 29, 2012 at 6:15 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    I'm guessing OP has collision and not just liability. Because all this back and forth over which way to pay best would be moot if he has liability only.

I don't know if all states are the same but in VA if you have a lien on the vehicle, you are required to have full coverage. If you have a 10 year old truck thats paid off, just keep liability and put some into a savings acct for that next "rainy day" when something might happen. In the OPs case, it literally was a rainy day when something happened.

Hope everything gets worked out man. I figured a junk yard would be cheaper than $3k for a bed.

5. Jun 29, 2012 at 6:45 AM
    knucklehead

knucklehead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    $3000 for a whole bed sounds like a steal, especially since he only needs one outside panel and not the actual bed. He could pick up that bed, take the panel he needs, sell the composite bed and opposite side panel, and probably onle be in the hole for $500.

Second to consider is the amount he will pay in extra premiums (and remember that "first accident forgiveness" is a myth, they will raise rates on renewal because they "would anyway"), extra $1200/year for 5 years = $6000.

Third to consider is that this will add a collision to the vehicle history report = depreciated value if he ever wants to sell.

Fourth to consider is that a lot of insurance companies will cut you off after the second at fault claim. Bring yourself to one at fault claim, and you dont have any room left.

Insurance is a scam. They are in the business to make money, not to protect their customers. The second their customer represents a higher risk, rates go through the roof. They use fear mongering "what if's" to scam you in. In the long run, it is *always* a better idea to take the difference and drop it in a savings account. Watch how that account grows, in a few years, notice that its bigger than the value of your car.

6. Jun 29, 2012 at 7:31 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    Agreed on the savings part. Problem is, how many people will actually save that money? They'll just piss it away on something else (gotta have that 80" big screen right?) and when something happens they won't have anything left to fall back on.

7. Jun 29, 2012 at 8:56 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    You sir are getting raped or you are a high risk driver. I pay 700.00 a year for 100K / 300K / 50K full coverage with uninsured and under-insured with a 250.00 deductible. Then again I have had Zero Accidents that were my fault with a 40+ year driving history. My premium has never increased due a claim.

As for getting out into the "real world" ... I have been more places and driven in more countries than you could count. :p

I don't even know what "redundant coverage" is. Care to explain?

I will concede in your case and probably other drivers with a not so good driving record it would probably be best to just pay the cost out of pocket.

8. Jun 29, 2012 at 10:29 AM
    Bender

Bender [OP] Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    07 Indigo Ink TRD Sport
    3" OME lift 4x Innovations High-Clearance Rear Bumper Adventure Off Road Front Skid Bed Rack/spare tire carrier custom Satoshi
    Unfortuantely, the composite bed splintered in the corner that made the impact, so I wouldn't be able to reuse the bulk of the new bed. Since I have a lien on the truck I've got Collision, but I'm under 25 with a few speeding tickets so insurance may not be the correct financial decision.

I'm still calling around to some junkyards trying to find anything cheaper, but these guys talk like there are only 3 wrecked Tacomas in the state. No one has one, but they can "source" it for 3 grand

9. Jun 29, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    Bender

Bender [OP] Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    07 Indigo Ink TRD Sport
    3" OME lift 4x Innovations High-Clearance Rear Bumper Adventure Off Road Front Skid Bed Rack/spare tire carrier custom Satoshi
    Not me man, sorry. I've been on some 300zx forums though.

10. Jun 29, 2012 at 1:48 PM
    RadSurfTaco

RadSurfTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    In Ocean or My Taco...trolling up & down Hwy 1
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner MGM DC SB
    I thought it might be your age and lack of real world experience that explains your inability to see a bigger picture, but maybe it's your arrogance that gets in the way of you seeing other people's views?

So, let's take your idea here and say this guy puts the claim through his insurance. Then any time in the next few years he has something similar (do you think he is a bad driver because of what happened? - I think this your mistake in reasoning). Do you know how many accidents are caused by "someone' else's negligence? And that makes anyone who has claims "doing it wrong?" Again, those kinds of comments make you look ignorant or arrogant (maybe a lot of both?). Now that he has 2 claims on his insurance he is an at risk driver by most ins standards and he WILL pay a lot more than what he would pay out of pocket over the next 5 or whatever years.

The only 2 accidents I was ever in were 1. I was stopped at a red light and a guy rammed me doing 35 from behind, he was too busy texting and didn't even see me. I was out of action for almost 2 years and his insurance wouldn't cover all the medical so my insurance had to (fortunately I had good coverage!). I would have preferred to have never gone through that and don't wish it upon my worst enemy.

2. An idiot ran a redlight and hit me as I was turning left in the middle of an intersection. Both cars totaled. Again, claims on both insurance policies. Now I am paying 50% more in premiums and I live in a state that is already double or triple what you pay normally.

When I was in physical therapy the doctor told me 80-90% of all accidents he has seen in the last several years was caused by someone not paying attention on their cell phone. How do you blame the guy hit for these types of drivers? You can't.

Again, your logic is flawed in that you are hoping for the absolute best case scenario and congratulations to you for living such an accident free life. But you also don't commute through the highest traffic cities in the world either with some of the worst drivers and instead of being so brash you might want to be a little more humble and thank your lucky stars you never had to experience what others have to...Anyone who protects their insurance is playing it smart and responsible instead of just 'hoping' nothing ever happens to them (you never think it's going to until it does, then it's too late, now who's been playing it wrong from the start?).

11. Jul 3, 2012 at 4:29 AM
    TRDsport253

TRDsport253 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    TRD Wheels TRD Skid plate
  12. Jul 3, 2012 at 4:54 AM
    FLAJIM

FLAJIM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Daytona Beach, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner SR5 2WD
    ARE tonneau cover, Electric Pop & Lock tail gate, 2 lighter plugs in bed, Reese hitch/ factory wiring, OEM Bed Extender and fog lights.
  13. Jul 3, 2012 at 9:33 PM
    Cowboybob

Cowboybob Well-Known Member

Member:
    Check the classifieds here on this site...I think someone posted a bed for sale a few days ago.

Never mind. Just saw that it's in WA. Probably the same one listed in the Craigslist ad above.

14. Jul 10, 2012 at 9:10 AM
    Bender

Bender [OP] Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    07 Indigo Ink TRD Sport
    been trying to get in contact with that guy in Washington, no response yet..

Products Discussed in

To Top