1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need advice choosing a handgun

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Redgrom, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Jan 25, 2012 at 10:25 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    there is video of the damage these rounds cause somewhere as well if you check.

i remember watching it with my mouth open the are devastating!

2. Jan 25, 2012 at 4:15 PM
    whiterabbit2u

whiterabbit2u Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Near Savannah Ga!
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pre Runner SR5
    Finally fixed the %$%^ compass!
    Screw it, get a rubber band and a paper clip. That'll make any one run like hell. :rolleyes:
    Just about any round will go through 2 layers of dry wall, 00buck will too. Birdshot usually will be stoped and at 10 to 15ft OUCH! Just make sure you can hit what your aiming at.
    Just scroll through all the "my pistol is better" posts and use common sense. :)

3. Jan 25, 2012 at 4:30 PM
    Hanz

Hanz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma DC 4X4 TRD
    LED Instrument lights
    Any well placed shot with premium hollowpoint ammunition will do out of a 9MM, 40S&W or 45ACP.

[​IMG]

As has been said, buy the pistol you both can shoot well. Stick to the major brands and keep in mind you generally get what you pay for.

I recommend 9MM to newer shooters because it's easier to shoot well AND it's less expensive allowing a person to practice more.

4. Jan 25, 2012 at 4:38 PM
    whiterabbit2u

whiterabbit2u Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Near Savannah Ga!
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pre Runner SR5
    Finally fixed the %$%^ compass!
    +1 for the 9mm ammo! 100rnd FMJ box's at wallyworld are great for the range!

5. Jan 25, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    socal147

socal147 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Apple Valley Kalifornia
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner SR5
    Just Bought It = NONE
    Respectfully, You are absolutely, without a doubt, wrong with this statement. Glocks are even sold here in Kalifornia. Some of the toughest gun laws in the states.

6. Jan 26, 2012 at 1:07 AM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
  7. Jan 26, 2012 at 1:17 AM
    WhatThePho?

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    Plus for some reason the first round doesn't shoot. Keep pulling the trigger.

8. Jan 26, 2012 at 1:51 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Bottom line is the firearm needs to be something that both the OP and his wife can comfortably, reliably shoot with as little work as possible

Stress/adrenaline is going to effectively kill any fine motor skills you have and you're going to be operating solely on gross motor skills

This is where the polymer "tactical" pistols and pretty much all revolvers shine...no switches to flip

you point and shoot

As far as choosing caliber goes...i pay absolutely very little attention to what may or may not over penetrate is some tests...but rather what am i going to be able to shoot with the most control and neutralize my attacker the quickest with...

Most everything that will do the damage you want to your attacker will at a minimum go through 2 sheets of drywall

Know what your shooting lanes are at all times and know whats behind your target and that likely wont be an issue

now then, lets focus on racking a shotgun to "scare" the attacker

I can assure you that if they are there to do you harm, then they don't give 2 shits about whether or not you have a gun...and you just gave away the biggest tactical edge and that is where you are

That plays right into lights

I am not a fan of mounted lights on pistols period

In the dark, that pistol mounted light which is square with your body is now a blazing target right dead center with your center of mass

get a good flashlight with a tac switch on the back and learn how to use it off center of your body

9. Jan 26, 2012 at 9:31 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++

i agree with most everything you say save for part of the light comment.

regarding the light at least in my situation mine strobes so intense and well over a 100 lumens that in a dark room its completely disorientating. i have tried it myself and my wife completely laughed at me when i fell into the wall in our hall way trying to make my way to her:eek:. i leave mine set to strobe and pulse the laser so its almost impossible to see and walk let alone aim a firearm effectively in my direction. i also don't go walking around with the thing on either if something goes bump in the night. i leave certain parts of my house lit a certain way so i can see in the open areas enough. all the rooms are closed and directly before i would enter them the light goes on cause there is no way to hide from its overwhelming effect in a smaller area like that. basically i would use it smartly and not like a standard flashlight. its a tactical light and needs to be thought of that way. your trying to rob a would be attacker of his eye sight while giving yourself a clear vision not give your position away

furthermore the buttons on my light are exactly where the tip of my finger goes right below the slide so its a tap on that and on the trigger i go. it can be accessed one handed extremely easy and is fully ambidextrous.

although i understand the concept your referring to and agree for the most part. i would not leave a gun mounted light on a steady beam like a traditional flashlight would this would in fact just give you away.

10. Jan 26, 2012 at 10:44 PM
    Redgrom

Redgrom [OP] http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco and 96 ford bronco
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    So went back to the range again today and shot a few 1911's and both of us really like them. Figures we would like the high end versions :facepalm::facepalm: Well at least we have good taste:D. Decided to shoot the glock 34 again and as nice as it felt we had 3 gam out of 50! thought Glocks were super reliable? We were shooting cheep winchester rounds from wallmart but they should be better than range reloads right?

Well we are going to try again this weekend before making the purchase. Have to hit up a old friend who is a licensed dealer in Florida and see what the best deal I can get is.
    Thanks for helping with my first 5 page thread on TW:D Did not even have to debate what coils are the best.........

11. Jan 27, 2012 at 12:05 AM
    wormfood

wormfood Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD
    TRD Super Charger, UWS, All Pro expedition leaf spring pac, Icon stage 4 suspension, B.A.M.F LCA Skid plates, TC weld-on upper coil bucket tower gussets, TC weld-on spindle gussets with sway bar mounts. RTT, Thule Roof Rack, Thule, Leitner Active Cargo System, Warn Zeon 10 Winch, All Pro Front Bumper, All Pro Apex Sliders, Nilight - 60005C-A 20Inch 126W Spot Flood Combo Led Light Bar.
    You will be a better shooter by shooting. Hmmm, yup thought that up all by myself. So...

Ammo has to be affordable.

Firearm has to be forgiving enough to allow a lot of rounds through it during range time without it being a chore.

Wife owns/carries a Ruger .38 LCR. It will not fail, excellent concealed carry. Rounds are affordable, it is manageable for allowing a lot of rounds down range.

She owns a SIG P238 380 Semi-Automatic Pocket Pistol, excellent concealed carry, affordable rounds, decent manageability on the range.

She owns a full size HK.45 ACP, poor conceal carry choice (TX), expensive to shoot, a pleasure to shoot all day. (its big)

She owns a Browning Buck Mark .22, poor concealed carry, highly affordable to shoot, a pleasure to shoot all day. Excellent choice to train on.

Minus the .22 all the above are fine HD firearms. The .380 takes more work to be accurate with, it is a very short range defense firearm.

I have a Kimber in .45, (love it, lasered, joy to shoot, expensive to shoot, I have small hands the 1911 is slim, it fits) a glock in .40 (excellent firearm, getting to know it), A Ruger .380 LCR (great CCarry, a chore to shot)

If I had to choice one HD firearm, I would select a Taurus Judge. it is all that and then some:

"Capable of chambering both .410 2-1/2" shotshell and .45 Colt Ammunition, this amazing combo gun is ideal for short distances - where most altercations occur, or longer distances with the .45 Colt ammo..."

The least expensive option is a pump shotgun, 12g with number 3 shot. The neighbors will appreciate it.

If you can afford to shot it, then you will. If you can't you won't.

Good luck!

12. Jan 27, 2012 at 12:35 AM
    WhatThePho?

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    Like I said look into a revolver. If it doesn't shoot pull the trigger again. You have 5 or 6 tries.

13. Jan 27, 2012 at 12:36 AM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    or 8 :D

14. Jan 27, 2012 at 12:39 AM
    WhatThePho?

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
  15. Jan 27, 2012 at 12:42 AM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    The particular one Im thinking of is a Smith 327 TRR8 Performance center...it's an 8 shot 357

Smith has several 8 shot models, and i think several other brands do too

[​IMG]

MSRP is approx $1200

16. Jan 27, 2012 at 12:52 AM
    WhatThePho?

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
  17. Jan 27, 2012 at 12:58 AM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
  18. Jan 27, 2012 at 4:03 AM
    05sctaco

05sctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Santa Cruz
    http://ballistics101.com/personal_defense.php

I have a sig p225 9mm, XD40 40sw, and HK 45c in .45acp that can accept the bigger round (not tested but it was written in the manual). As far as shooting i was able to group 7/8 rounds in the 45, as apposed to my friend who is now LEO grouping 6/10 in his XD40 at 15 yards. The HK shoots smooth, and not very mush more of a recoil compared to the .40sw, I would say it was about the same. Ammo is expensive, order it online. I use ammunitiontogo, or aimsurplus, if you can find a good deal i also use gander mountain as they have free shipping on order, and sometimes $20 or 20% off orders over $100.

By far my favorite gun to shoot is the HK, i just wish the ammo was cheaper.
    If you need ammo, I have 9mm, 40sw, and 22lr, all new never fired FMJ. I'll sell for what i paid plus shipping. i have a lot of ammo just not a lot of room left in my safe, lol.

19. Jan 27, 2012 at 10:22 AM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint
    the TRR8 is my next gun...or the M&PR8 but i like the TRR8 because the rail is removable

20. Jan 27, 2012 at 11:58 AM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    i've almost bought the TRR8 twice...found one for sale for $800 a couple times and passed it up because i didnt NEED to toss that kind of change at it...havent seen another one for sale since :(

Products Discussed in

To Top