1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need advice dealing with a neighbor and BS thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by InfernoTonka, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Mar 28, 2017 at 1:41 PM
    Watari06V6

Watari06V6 Faster than a speeding ticket

Member:
    Wounded Knee
    Vehicle:
    TRD-V6-SR5-06
    OP I feel for you brother. Just make sure to lube your firearms, just sayin'- for the sake of family. You never know when s*** goes down with this 'neighbor' of yours. Follow your instinct.

remgu2000 and InfernoTonka[OP] like this.
  2. Mar 28, 2017 at 3:22 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2022 Off Road Premium 4Runner Lunar Rock
    WOW, great read.

First, it sounds like the transactions are happening on the street, not on the OPs property. Therefore he has no recourse, he can kindly ask to have the transactions moved, which he has. My suggestion is to put out a sprinkler system close to the road and have Alexa turn it on when you sense a transaction.

I would contact the property owner and inform them of what's going.

3. Mar 28, 2017 at 4:31 PM
    akkyle

akkyle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2014 regular cab 4x4
    because selling cell phones makes you afraid of people knowing where you live?.... and you don't make a "living" off of selling cell phones

4. Mar 28, 2017 at 4:41 PM
    InfernoTonka

InfernoTonka [OP] Infernal Order of Knights Templar of Inferno-ness

Member:
    First Name:
    TOD aka Toyota Onroad Development
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno SAF base model SR5 4x4
    I'm not sure this seller/dealer guy's idea of "making a living" is, in reality, "ecking out a bare minimal existence." To each his own.

Things were pretty quiet today though.

5. Mar 28, 2017 at 4:59 PM
    bajatacoguy

bajatacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    RI to NH
    Vehicle:
    Blk Taco
    OEM: Bed Mat Roof Rack Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover Door Sill Protectors KO2's Dobinson GTS Suspension TRD Beadlocks Timbren Bump Stops SPC UCA Rear SuperSpring SSO Slimline Winch Bumper SmittyBilt x20 Mobtown Sliders Mobtown Front Skid Avid Basket Bed Rack DECKED Draw Organizer Total Chaos Bed Stiffners Relentless Fab Bed Corner Tie Downs CBI Ditch Light Brackets ARB Dual Compressor Instant Air Tank Smittybilt RTT Road Shower II Indel-B Fridge/Freezer w/ Slide Ironman 4x4 Insulated Fridge Case Redline Tuning Hood QuickLIFT Yo_Hec - Center Console Molle Little Johnny III CB Radio KB Voodoo Flashlight Kit Switch Pro 8100 BlueSea Fuse Pelfreybilt Fuse Panel Mount Gecko - LED Bed Lights Gecko - LED Hood Lights Raptor Grill Lights Cali Raised - Bed Flag Pole Holder Center Console Tray & Organizer Weather Tech Floor Mats Weather Tech Hood Deflector TRAILER BUILD HAPPENING! Plate: Negan

Is that the whole story?

6. Mar 28, 2017 at 7:35 PM
    InfernoTonka

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    I just now saw on my local news that some idiot stole $40k worth of iPhones at a Target in my area. How much ya wanna bet this stuff gets fenced on these online selling sites.

Coming to an area near me...wouldn't that be something?

7. Mar 28, 2017 at 8:44 PM
    Guerrilla

Guerrilla L(.)(.)K@G(.)(.)Dz

Member:
    First Name:
    D. Cooley
    Coast to Coast
    Vehicle:
    El' Black 13 DCSB 4x4
    Stuff
    This thread is a great example of how you have two types of thinkers...

OP,
    I totally see your concern, I'd be suspicious as well. You do have a right to be and especially this day in age... If I were you I wouldn't have any further contact with this guy, I think you've said enough to him, he obviously isn't respecting what you have mentioned to him or hearing your concerns or he's an idiot.. I'd agree with what others have already mentioned as far as letting the Police know of "potential" shady business and for concern about it around your home and family..

To the others blasting OP,
    Do you seriously not see where he's coming from? Is it really that hard to see.. It's almost as if you're completely blind to what he is saying, and just wanna start calling him out as being a "biggot or whatever", he never mentioned anything really offensive, that is unless you're the EXTRA sensitive type and are easily offended or looking for something to be offended about... Yeah he said the dude had a beater and was sketchy, so what...
    Maybe he is sketchy, is saying someone is sketchy has a beater car and rents something to get offended over... I think not.
    I also have to wonder what types of life experiences you may have had or better yet, not had... In dealing with the world as we know it.

I kinda see it simply as a situation where, if OPs gut is telling him something isn't right and it doesn't look right... It's better to be safe than sorry and notify the proper authorities before anything could "potentially" go down just incase...
    If it is truly sketchy, OP could find himself or his family in danger, if the neighbor guy pisses the wrong people/person off or screws them over, that type crowd won't think twice about coming to get even, and it's anybody's guess what it would be (People have been brutally slaughtered over things like this by "mistaken identities or places of residences)....
    In that case OP would have been a dumb ass to think the way some of you are in not being concerned, when it could've been potentially prevented.

If it turns out the guys legit and just so happens to have a beater and makes a living off Craigslist, then so be it, good for him.. He should still have enough sense to respect his neighbors reasonable request and see the concern in the first place... Not at all unreasonable to ask someone, if they're gonna conduct their "business" do it in their driveway or in front of their place of residence. Or if you have any sense somewhere like a Public place (that is if it's legit)...

Ideally the guy is legit, there's nothing to worry about.. But he's just clueless to understanding respecting neighbors and common sense.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  8. Mar 28, 2017 at 9:29 PM
    InfernoTonka

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    Well said. It is a respect thing, a courtesy thing, and being a good neighbor thing.

I must say the older I get the lower my standards get for expectations of civility amongst strangers. Nothing shocks me anymore, but more things worry me.

A few years ago we had real problems with drug dealing on the block. Most of the trouble was from people from outside areas coming to our neighborhood to deal at night. People would get busted and go away, then someone else would test the area after a few months.

One time we had a neighbor that decided she hated her husband and decided she was going to be a party girl, deal drugs and stick it to her husband. When she was unsuccessful at getting the house she took the daughter and lived out of hotels. Court wouldn't give full custody to the husband. Long story short, she wound up in a major drug ring that caught the attention of the Feds. Got a 5 year sentence in Federal prison.

This was about 8 years ago or so. The reason why I bring this up is that it was through my observations of what was going on, as well as other neighbors observations, that helped do something about it.

This kid doing this stuff around my house is not at the same level, but he really is taking a risk doing all this stuff on the block and in front of my house with my address exposed.

I agree that contact with him should be minimal. I am pretty level headed and rarely if ever come unglued.

On the topic of beater cars, I always had those kind of cars up until my first new car purchase when I was in my 30's. However this particular beater car has one side completely bashed in to the point that I don't see how the frame isn't bent.

In the state in which I live, they have stringent yearly inspections and emissions tests that newer cars have trouble passing. This is by far the worst car I've seen on the road and it raises red flags with me. It's not a snobbery thing, it's a "what the heck is this unsafe car doing on the road...parked on the side of my house."

Guerrilla[QUOTED] and BigEasy like this.
  9. Mar 28, 2017 at 10:10 PM
    Guerrilla

Guerrilla L(.)(.)K@G(.)(.)Dz

Member:
    First Name:
    D. Cooley
    Coast to Coast
    Vehicle:
    El' Black 13 DCSB 4x4
    Stuff

Thanks.

Yeah, I think that it's hard for others to see or understand where others are coming from sometimes, because they haven't had to deal with certain situations or certain types of people or live in certain areas..
    I think that this thread is an example of that, at least as I see it.. On that same note, this also applies to many other things, that many find themselves in disagreements over...

People have to take a step back sometimes and realize that their life and what they have experienced isn't what everyone else has experienced.. Peoples lives vary so much, something as simple as living in another county or neighborhood (much less another state or country), could completely have someone thinking (if they're not thinking) that that's the way it is everywhere.. And it's obviously not.

They're VERY good honest people in the worst places, that deserve nothing more than the best life has to offer... They're some of the worst people in the very best places, living lavishly when they shouldn't even be alive or at best in prison for life.

I know a lot of the things I've experienced most people can't relate too.. So I could easily be taken the wrong way by others who haven't experienced what I have.. A lot of times I can tell right off the bat, by the way someone responds they haven't been there done that, but they will be offended by may way of saying things sometimes.. When in reality I'm just telling it like it is, and calling a duck a duck or a spade a spade...
    I can and do respect and appreciate good people from all walks, I've been all over the world several times over and been to places and done things most have never even heard of... On the same note, I have a lack of tolerance for bad people in general and the bs that they bring around... I wanna see good people get what they deserve, that is living a good safe happy life free from bs.

That being said, I wish more people could understand that.. Before assuming certain things.

You have to be alert these days and expect the unexpected, and a lot of times it pays to listen to your gut. And keep your head on a swivel ESPECIALLY if you have a family.

And to wrap it up, sorry for the long post I knew I shouldn't have drank that pre workout so late... But I don't sleep well anyway so off to train.

Good luck with the situation..
    Last but not least, lay back on contact with this dude and let the proper authorities look into it... If he is shady, drawing much more attention to yourself will not help matters.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  10. Mar 28, 2017 at 10:14 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Notify homeowners' association and the police. If neither is willing to help, restraining order.

InfernoTonka[OP] and scottalot like this.
  11. Mar 28, 2017 at 10:18 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    And agreed, you'd like to think this comes under being adults and neighborly. Years ago when I bought my house from my inlaws a car was here that was owned by a fellow up the street. He came to my house shortly after looking for my brother in law and I notified him I own the house and gave him a month to remove the vehicle, which came and went. I called and he tried to say the car wasn't done being restored, which I reminded him isn't my issue and he was to remove it that weekend which he agreed with. No call no show..so I sent a certified letter outlining the events and advising him I'll start charging storage, notify my insurance in case something happens to it, and have my lawyer work on getting title in my name..and that I'd like to handle this like adults and neighbors but I need it resolved and my wishes have fallen on deaf ears. Bet your ass that car got moved fast.

InfernoTonka[OP] and tomwil like this.
  12. Mar 29, 2017 at 11:31 AM
    AtxLakeTaco

AtxLakeTaco Texas Toyota Coalition

Member:
    First Name:
    Tres
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB Prerunner
    5100's,887's,etc.
    THIS! I live in a coomunity similar to what OP is describing and deal with his type all the time, simply because I'm the only teenager that lives in this small HOA community, they take chalk and mark my parking job, take pictures of me and stalk me then present them at meetings and do other crazy shit. Wish more people would be willing to call out these type of people.

13. Mar 29, 2017 at 11:33 AM
    AtxLakeTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Tres
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB Prerunner
    5100's,887's,etc.
    THOSE DARN TEENAGERS!

scottalot likes this.
  14. Mar 29, 2017 at 11:44 AM
    AtxLakeTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Tres
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB Prerunner
    5100's,887's,etc.
    I kind of see both sides, I have kind of been in the "bad neighbors shoes" I'm a teenager living in a small condo HOA community and I'm the only person of my age group that lives there, its just me and my mom and we both constantly get harassed for things they think I do. For example if I have more than 5 cars parked in my driveway the cops get called for a "raging party". And as mentioned before they take pictures of me walking my dog off leash down by the lake and present them at the meetings (which I've attended ever since they started marking our driveway for cars sticking out 2-3 inches). So I'm not neccesarily doing sketchy deals with giant trucks in front of my neighbors house but I do know what its like to be harassed. OP's concerns seem more genuine then my neighbors.

15. Mar 29, 2017 at 11:52 AM
    AtxLakeTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Tres
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB Prerunner
    5100's,887's,etc.
    The same thing happens to me, we get like 2 notices a month. One time I had some wakeboards, life jackets, and assorted lake gear in my truck bed and they left a notice under my wiper blades to remove the stuff.

scottalot[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Mar 29, 2017 at 12:01 PM
    cmghoughton

cmghoughton Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    BenWa power rear slider RollBak G2 Retractable Tonneau Bed Cover
    Hey InfernoTonka,
    I get what you're saying and I also live in a townhome community. We had a similar problem with a guy running a tax office out of his house, tax season came and there were twenty cars in a parking lot designed for 12 not to mention taking all the assigned parking spots. Legitimate job and all but you're not allowed to run certain businesses out of your home if they generate foot traffic in and out, some fancy term they called it. Our HOA didn't really lift a finger and if he's a renter they have to notify the owner and they might not do anything about it. Also he didn't stop with all of us neighbors speaking to him. Two or Three neighbors called the police and they finally sent a patrol car and they wrote the guy a citation or a warning. 99% of the cars stopped that week and didn't really have the problem since. If you're on a corner it sounds like he might be identifying his location that way and you're just screwed because of it. I hate to go to the police but you might need to get them involved. If anything a few records of complaints might start to get their attention. I know our HOA us useless.

InfernoTonka[OP] likes this.
  17. Mar 29, 2017 at 12:03 PM
    Mobin

Mobin Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Provo, UT
    Vehicle:
    2013 White Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    This is TacomaWorld, not NeighborWorld right?

18. Mar 29, 2017 at 1:48 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    Browse the site, we cover everything here.

At The Helm, Byb127, ajm and 3 others like this.
  19. Mar 29, 2017 at 1:57 PM
    Pirhett

Pirhett Instagram @pirhett_ship

Member:
    First Name:
    Rhett
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB MGM
    Stock...
    wow that one dude seemed like a child,

OP I would get cameras asap and then if you can get proof he is within your property contact the HOA and explain that he seems to be doing business on your property

InfernoTonka[OP] likes this.
  20. Mar 29, 2017 at 2:24 PM
    InfernoTonka

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    Our HOA is tyrannical. Neighbors will call and complain about shudders and whether your siding need washed, etc...

People use the HOA as a tool to strike at people. Pretty underhanded and petty stuff.

I read a few posts about people getting stalked and harassed...this is never justified, especially when there is no evidence. I just resolved an issue where one of my neighbors "was convinced" that another neighbor was letting their dog poop in her yard. I asked "did you see it happen?" And she said no. Then I advised her that it wouldn't be wise to accuse someone of that without witnessing it.

We have had a neighborhood watch for the past 10 years or so. Those of us that survived the "drug dealing years" (as outlined earlier) remain close. Over time our block has turned into 40-50% rentals. For some reason some former neighbors have a deep desire to get into the landlord game. They move on to some ridiculous pre-fab over priced McMansion and rent out their townhouse. Some do a good job with screening renters, others don't give a shit. The ones that screen are still in business. The ones that didn't give a crap have lost their rear ends. I've seen it all. Not much money in rentals...unless you have at least 10.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Pirhett likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top