1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need advice: Feedback on truck purchase/dealership

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by get_nick, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Feb 15, 2017 at 9:32 AM
    DoubleRGirl

DoubleRGirl Hello Kitty Edition

Member:
    First Name:
    Rebecca
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD Sport 6speed
    then the dealers in washington likely didn't understand your request. you don't pay sales tax in a state that the vehicle is not registered in. you only pay tax when registration/retitling occurs, and that only occurs at the dmv

shakerhood likes this.
  2. Feb 15, 2017 at 9:38 AM
    gpb

gpb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2017 White DCSB TRDOR 4x4
    I think the trick comes with dual-residency. WA specifically mentions that case.

http://dor.wa.gov/Content/FindTaxesAndRates/RetailSalesTax/Nonresidents/default.aspx

3. Feb 15, 2017 at 9:42 AM
    DoubleRGirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Rebecca
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    i'm not reading all that but at the end of the day another state can't charge you sales tax if you're not registering the vehicle in that state. all they can do is collect sales tax for the state if they have an agreement with that state

get_nick[OP] likes this.
  4. Feb 15, 2017 at 9:43 AM
    get_nick

get_nick [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blazing Blue Limited
    That's the problem. While I own a residence in Oregon, my drivers license is for Washington.

5. Feb 15, 2017 at 9:46 AM
    DoubleRGirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Rebecca
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    annnnnd that's your answer. you have to register where your license is

6. Feb 15, 2017 at 9:51 AM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    ... ^^^... Oh, thanks. Misread it. thought it was a new vehicle

shakerhood[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Feb 15, 2017 at 10:21 AM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    I think a lot of people trade them in and leave the second set of keys at the house and do not give a shit. I bought a Jeep Liberty for my ex and this is exactly what happened. I will walk away from a vehicle that does not have 2 complete sets of keys. It was bad enough when FObs came on the scene but with chip keys it can get expensive. With the Jeep you have to go to the dealer to make a second set. If you have 2 you can program your own. I made the dealer note in the contract that they owed me another set of keys. The sale dude actually contacted the previous owner and he mailed the 2nd set to the dealer who mailed them to me. If the original owner had not done this I would have had to make a trip to the Jeep dealer which probably would have cost me 3 hours with no traffic.

shakerhood likes this.
  8. Feb 15, 2017 at 10:30 AM
    imjdoggie

imjdoggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
    1995 Reg Cab 4x4
    Have you called and asked to speak to the General Manager of the Dealership? I would do that and make sure to send him all the screenshots-communication........

9. Feb 15, 2017 at 10:54 AM
    stevebaz

stevebaz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2016 access cab, TRD offroad 4x4, Quicksand
    This what I would do. Paying for certification and any repairs that aren't even supposed to be there in a 1 year old truck is pointless. Pay for the extended warranty and then Toyota can pay for the repairs that show up.
    Drop the whole thing with the out of state dealer you just digging deeper into a bad hole you can't get out of. Your lawyers fees will be more than a key set. Such is life buying as is used. Once the truck leaves the yard you can't ask for different terms or special favors.

Go enjoy your truck and stop trying to drive yourself over the details that you can't fix.

10. Feb 15, 2017 at 11:00 AM
    Jaque8

Jaque8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno TRD OR
    Full disclosure I work in the car business at a dealership so maybe I'm bias because I see it from both points of view. First off there's nothing legally you can do about the CPO and second key unless it was specifically spelled out on the due bill and you actually signed CPO paperwork. With Toyota you can "certify" a vehicle but then remove certification as part of negotiation (it costs the dealership $450 to certify it so if a customer negotiates say $1k discount the dealership might counter with OK but we're removing the certification). No second key is common with auction cars and lease returns and many dealerships do make second keys as a policy, but most dealers do not. If they got it with one key they'll sell it with one key. It also a common misconnection that certified vehicles MUST have a second key. 2nd key is no where in the certifications checklists and again many Toyota dealers will make one anyways, or if you complain they'll make one for free, but its not a requirement from Toyota or anyone else (I used to sell Toyota). So there's really nothing you can do except complain on social media if it'll make you feel better.

Now for the good news!! You got such an awesome fucking deal honestly none of this should matter, that's also likely why the dealership won't contribute a penny more to the deal, I can guarantee they lost money to move an aging unit on this truck. I don't know the miles so I just assumed it has 18k, at 18k miles your 2016 Limited 4wd has a retail price of $38,988 (certified retail of $39,588). It has a wholesale value of $37,347. And the ONLY Limited 4x4 to go through manheim auction last week had 12k miles and sold for $35,587... AT AUCTION. You paid $33,279. You paid $5k below retail, $4k below wholesale, and likely under AUCTION value (or very close to it), again no way they didn't lose $ selling this truck and although you specifically wanted blazing blue, its also the worst color to have on a used limited, they probably had it on the lot for close to 60 days and needed it off the books (I would too if I had a 60 day old BLUE limited). You benefited greatly from this because it happened to actually be the color you want! They priced it so low to try to entice someone to compromise on blue, that's a win for you.

If you had paid anywhere close to market value for your truck I'd sympathize with you and agree you have some legitimate grievances, the dealership would be making profit and they'd probably be happy to cut you a spare key or throw in the $450 cost of CPO to keep you happy. But in this situation they just see it as you don't understand the deal you got. As a sales manager I know what their desk is going through, if they already took a $1k loss (maybe more) to sell this truck they're not going to go back and open their books and add another $800 in losses because some guy across the country feels they should.

I hope they've treated you with courtesy and respect as you should treat every customer that way rather you're losing or making money. But in my professional opinion, at the price you paid, they really don't owe you anything more (I know that'll be an unpopular opinion here but its the honest truth). The mistake I think they really made is failure to properly present the VALUE you're getting on this deal. I wouldn't have sold you this truck from across the country unless I was sure you were STOKED on the price and understood the deal of the century you were getting, that way when little stuff comes up later (almost always does on used cars) you wouldn't be mad you'd be understanding. That's where they really dropped the ball in my opinion. Building value is the most fundamental rule to car sales, and when they're selling a high demand Tacoma for thousands below market.... building value would've been super easy for a any salesman with experience.

11. Feb 15, 2017 at 12:17 PM
    get_nick

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    I really appreciate your post. I'm definitely a "value" shopper. It's part of the reason I didn't get into the home purchase bidding wars that are becoming common place in the Seattle area. I got lucky and found something that the seller and buyer (me) thought was "fair".

As far as this truck, I think I'm just annoyed that they just keep springing this whole, "that's why it was priced low" deal on me. Just disclose all the reasons you priced it at $33,000 and I'll shut up.

12. Feb 15, 2017 at 12:19 PM
    get_nick

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    No. I'll probably send one more email to the sales manager asking for a fob "at cost" or something since that's not coming off the price of the sale. If not, I'll drop the whole issue.

99% of this thread to was to vent and make sure I wasn't being an unrealistic asshole. I got the venting done. Now I'm getting over the non-cpo and no key ordeal. I just needed a sanity check.

13. Feb 15, 2017 at 12:29 PM
    jd21476

jd21476 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bottom line: they got you and they knew they did. You would have to go to their State to file a lawsuit and they are betting you wont do that.

14. Feb 15, 2017 at 12:43 PM
    stan23

stan23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    stan
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Careful there .. You need to register the car on where you live. (Assume Seattle, WA) which does have sales tax.

You're treading a fine line of illegal behavior.

15. Feb 15, 2017 at 12:59 PM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    Hey Jacque8, I am not quoting your long ass post but there is something the buyer can do when the dealer does not have a second key. They can shop elsewhere. Of course if the deal is good enough they can just pay to have one made.

16. Feb 15, 2017 at 1:36 PM
    get_nick

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    I understand. The plan is to move back to Oregon once I close out my current work project. I didn't want to register in Oregon, Washington, and back to Oregon in a 3 month period.

17. Feb 15, 2017 at 3:39 PM
    JS760

JS760 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC Sport
    Don't forget there's also the issue there that it may not have been certified because it's not certifiable.
    It's still a new car and none of the CPO warranty makes any sense when you are still covered by the factory warranty.
    And CPO sells cars, so if you're not certifying something, there could be an underlying issue there, like an accident.
    And thatcouls also attribute to the cost of the deal.

shakerhood and get_nick[OP] like this.
  18. Feb 15, 2017 at 3:49 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    I dunno about that one. The car needs to be registered and insured where the vehicle is 'garaged'.

get_nick[OP] likes this.
  19. Feb 15, 2017 at 3:54 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    Telling your story in a review site like Yelp or the like will make you feel better...... no lies, just the truth.

get_nick[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  20. Feb 15, 2017 at 4:07 PM
    SR5 BRI

SR5 BRI Brian Good Sport

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Albany n.y.
    Vehicle:
    2023 Sport Quadcab
    Alot
    Get yourself a new key a look at it as a good lesson grasshopper. You saved money but got a slight headache also . Move on enjoy the truck

SOSHeloPilot and get_nick[OP] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top