1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need advice: Feedback on truck purchase/dealership

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by get_nick, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Feb 15, 2017 at 4:45 PM
    Jaque8

Jaque8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno TRD OR
    True. But almost no one confirms their used vehicle will come with a second key during the test drive. Unfortunately that always comes up once you've signed paperwork and taking delivery. At that point would you really want to unwind a deal and start all over because of a stupid key?? I guess if there's plenty of other cars just like it available in your area you could, but seems like the cost-benefit of doing that wouldn't pencil out. Assuming I can get the exact same deal on the exact same used car somewhere else only difference is getting a second key, I still wouldn't start over. Assuming I've already signed paperwork and ready for delivery, to start all over again is going to cost me at minimum 5-6 hours of my time (maybe more) and the possibility of totally separate issues coming up (you might drive all the way across town to buy one with a second key only to find out it has repainted panels or worse).

Second key honestly isn't THAT big of a deal, it would be stupid to let that be the sole reason to prevent you buying an otherwise good vehicle with a good price.

JS760 and DoubleRGirl like this.
  2. Feb 15, 2017 at 4:50 PM
    DoubleRGirl

DoubleRGirl Hello Kitty Edition

Member:
    First Name:
    Rebecca
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD Sport 6speed
    yeah i don't think most people are going to walk away from a good deal on a good truck on having a second key or not. it's easy to replace a key, not as easy to find the right used car

File IFR, get_nick[OP] and shakerhood like this.
  3. Feb 15, 2017 at 4:50 PM
    Jaque8

Jaque8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno TRD OR
    Just want to try and make you feel a little better about the whole situation :)

I know it was a big pain in the ass but at the end of the day you got the best deal I've ever seen on a 3rd gen Tacoma AND it sounds like it was EXACTLY what you wanted. Try to focus on the positive you truly do have a lot to be stoked for :thumbsup:

Get a second key and a VSA from Toyota, you'll still be way under market value AND you'll have better protection than the CPO warranty anyways. Because this car is so new (and assuming it has under 24k miles) the CPO warranty doesn't even extend the new car protection, only the powertrain. A platinum level VSA warranty from Toyota will extend the new car coverage from 36k up to 125k IIRC. With the CPO warranty your new car coverage would still be expiring at 36k just like on one purchased new. So in this case I'd personally much rather pay a little more and get an actual VSA you'll be much better covered.

4. Feb 15, 2017 at 4:56 PM
    Bretsuaz48

Bretsuaz48 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Surprise, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 Sport
    I would leave them feedback on yelp. I would call the better business bureau. I would notify the AG for that state. I would contact Toyota. They will get tired of your bad publicity and take care of you.

get_nick[OP] likes this.
  5. Feb 15, 2017 at 5:02 PM
    InfernoTonka

InfernoTonka Infernal Order of Knights Templar of Inferno-ness

Member:
    First Name:
    TOD aka Toyota Onroad Development
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno SAF base model SR5 4x4
    When I traded my POS Ford in on my Tacoma, I gave them both keys. For some reason they gave me the other one back before I walked out the door. I thought it was strange at the time.

You got a great deal on that truck. I've read the majority of the thread here but may have missed whether or not a Carfax has been run on this truck. That might tell you something.

Also you can think of all the money you saved as money in the bank for any future repairs that crop up. Even if this truck was a lemon, there should be a repair/maintenance record on CarFax. Even if a ton of repairs have been done, that could mean this is repair work that shouldn't have to be done again.

I bought my wifes Volvo for $11,000 under MSRP 13 years ago and have probably only had about $6,000 worth of regular maintenance and repair bills for this whole period. I consider the money saved as my own extended warranty. The car has 200,000 miles and still going strong...however they cost a damn fortune to maintain in my opinion. Much more than my Ford, which turned into a POS at 147,000 miles and was mechanically totaled at the time I traded it (i.e. $3000 truck with at least $5,000 worth of problems).

6. Feb 15, 2017 at 5:07 PM
    EB Group

EB Group Carbon Jedi

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCSB 6M
    I haven't read everything.
    If you can get out then do so. PASS PASS PASS
    Best advice

7. Feb 15, 2017 at 5:15 PM
    Jaque8

Jaque8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno TRD OR
    Good point.

OP I'm sure you got a carfax run before you bought but if you didn't just PM me the VIN I'll send you a report.

Spare Parts likes this.
  8. Feb 15, 2017 at 5:18 PM
    Dimestore55

Dimestore55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD OR Prerunner DCSB
    Sheeeit, I had a 92 F250 that smelled like smoke the whole 6 years I owned it. I never managed to get the smell out, I even tossed the ashtray out on the drive home from the sale.

shakerhood likes this.
  9. Feb 15, 2017 at 5:18 PM
    Jaque8

Jaque8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno TRD OR
    I think you should read everything before saying that. He's getting a retail ready unicorn Tacoma (doubt there's many 4x4 limiteds in blue for sale in the whole country) for $4k below wholesale. Its literally unheard of, if OP was bragging about the price instead of complaining I'd probably think he was lying and wouldn't believe him unless he showed me his sales contract.

Its the equivalent of someone saying they bought a TRD Pro below invoice, it just doesn't happen. But for OP it seems like it did, even considering the headache he dealt with I think he SCORED.

10. Feb 15, 2017 at 5:20 PM
    EB Group

EB Group Carbon Jedi

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCSB 6M
    I thought the headache outweighed the score.
    Opinion received.

11. Feb 15, 2017 at 5:21 PM
    Jaque8

Jaque8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno TRD OR
    For $4-$5k in savings I'd deal with a straight up migraine lol. But I am not a rich man...

12. Feb 15, 2017 at 5:24 PM
    EB Group

EB Group Carbon Jedi

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCSB 6M
    I hear ya. It was sniffing like a bad deal to me, but your summary makes it sound like all was good in the end and was a great deal.

13. Feb 15, 2017 at 5:39 PM
    Sprouty115

Sprouty115 Well-Known Member

Member:
    RI
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Sport 6MT
    Two posts of solid advice...

14. Feb 16, 2017 at 10:17 AM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    I do not buy used very often but before I sign anything I make sure there are 2 sets of keys just like I did with the exes Jeep. I had the dealer make a third one for my Tacoma before I took delivery. I guess having at least 2 sets of keys comes from having teenagers that could not keep track of them. I keep the 3rd key in my duffel bag. Even though it has never happened to me I do not want to be stranded out of town without a key or locked in the vehicle.

15. Feb 16, 2017 at 10:19 AM
    get_nick

get_nick [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blazing Blue Limited
    I ran the carfax. Verified it was purchased at auction. Everything was legit. No accidents. Perfect truck minus CPO I expected and a $350 key. Since it's nearly $8,000 less than what I would have paid if I bought the only other blue limited here in Seattle, i'm going to shut up now. :D

File IFR likes this.
  16. Feb 16, 2017 at 10:23 AM
    get_nick

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I have the carfax. It was listed as CPO, but I'm guessing based on a previous post the dealership didn't keep it up to date after they bought it at auction.

Attached Files:

17. Feb 16, 2017 at 10:24 AM
    get_nick

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    I've NEVER bought from a dealer before and I've purchased probably 15 cars in the last 20 years of having a license. I didn't even think to ask the dealer about how many keys came with the truck. I figured a spare key was something sort of like a spare tire. Just something you expect to come with the vehicle.

18. Feb 16, 2017 at 10:25 AM
    DoubleRGirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Rebecca
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    yeah if htey didn't do anything to it after it was certified in july it probably fell off. how long ago did you bring her home?

19. Feb 16, 2017 at 10:28 AM
    get_nick

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    It just got delivered two weeks ago today. Shipping was a pain in the ass. The original shipper posted the bid for too low and nobody touched it for a week. I had to find another shipper who got it on a truck, just to have the trailer break an axle outside of Minneapolis. It delayed another 4 days.

All in all, I love the truck. Drives great. Would like a little better MPG, but whatever. There are a few cabin rattles, but I can sniff those out and tighten the screws. I'll start modding it here shortly. I have a big list of things to buy now that I'm feeling pretty committed to it.

20. Feb 16, 2017 at 10:29 AM
    DoubleRGirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Rebecca
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    oh ok so they had it on the lot quite a while. yeah they probably didn't remember to recertify it

Products Discussed in

To Top