1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Advice for 2nd Gen 2.7 Performance Mods

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by 4Bangerz, May 21, 2023.

1. May 21, 2023 at 4:38 PM
    4Bangerz

4Bangerz [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black Tacoma 2.7 4 Banger
    I currently have a 2013 2.7 4 Cylinder Tacoma and I want to gain some more horsepower and torque on it. I'm lost, I'm pretty new to the performance side of mods and need some help and recommendations on what to do. Preferably cheaper mods to start along with more expensive ones for the future. Thanks

2. May 21, 2023 at 4:44 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Fagedaboudit.

There's a couple things that some folks do, but the results for the $ spent are very disappointing.

Maintain it well and enjoy it for what it is. Very reliable.

LeakyAC likes this.
  3. May 21, 2023 at 4:46 PM
    09 Redneck

09 Redneck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ga
  4. May 21, 2023 at 4:50 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Torspd, Charlie Bravo and LeakyAC like this.
  5. May 21, 2023 at 4:54 PM
    LeakyAC

LeakyAC Captain jackass

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Access Cab 2.7 4x4 Super White II
    -Uni filter secondary air pump mod -A/C drip line extension mod -ARB F + R diff breathers relocated -ARB front recovery point -"Tow Package" class V receiver + oem 7/4 plug + aux ATF cooler -Toyo Open Country ATIII 245/75R16 -Yellow fog lights (amber Lamin-X w/ PIAA amber H16s) -BakFlip G2 tonneau cover -TRD Pro grille -Body-matched bumper caps -Blackout emblems -Husky X-Act Contour floor liners -RokBlokz mud flaps -oem bed mat Not yet installed: -0" lift Bilstein 5100 F + R w/ 4Runner front shock lower bolt swap -Total Chaos LCA cam tab gussets
    Don't do anything to the engine and it will be bulletproof forever. If u need to haul, get a 2nd gen V6 Taco

Steves104x4 likes this.
  6. Jun 12, 2023 at 2:12 AM
    Nedkelly

Nedkelly OzLux

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Australia
    Vehicle:
    2008 Hilux 4x2 Dual cab 2TR FE
    Air intake, exhaust, i-Drive throttle response, Detroit Tru-Trac.
    Hi 4Bangerz,

I realise that there are many who disagree with the notion of modifying the trusty 2.7 yet I have pushed past all of that some years back to now have a very healthy example of the 2TRFE engine. In starting with exhaust and intake changes, like the 50mm inlet manifold spacer and headers from LCE Performance and adding a throttle relay controller it definitely helped to bring out the torque of this engine.

It really depends on how far you want to go and if like me you have a really good example of vehicle, taking the time to modify it when time/finances permit can bring a substantial change to a base model vehicle and all the while being a reliable daily driver.

It has taken 5 years to transform a standard vehicle into what it is now, complete with supercharger and healthy increases in torque/hp, yet the gradual process has been worth it. Personal choice after all right:)

Any more questions then feel free to ask.
    Cheers,
    Nathan.

7. Jun 12, 2023 at 6:25 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    What supercharger kit are you running? Stock injectors and ignition coils?

8. Jun 12, 2023 at 8:40 PM
    Nedkelly

Nedkelly OzLux

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Australia
    Vehicle:
    Hi Steves104x4,

The supercharger is made by Raptor here in Australia, though I have seen a few Subaru guys running them in the states so you could get one shipped over. Imagine with the exchange rate it would be more economical than the likes of the Rotrex kit from URD over your side.

I had to modify a bracket that Raptor (Tim) gave me, along with the water/air intercooler and heat exchanger to mount as the unit is also plumbed to keep the belt cool. I run a Haltech ecu and have Bosch 730cc injectors and larger fuel pump yet the coils are stock. It runs the factory air box with 3" inlet to s/c, though the tuner found a pod filter to produce around an extra 2.5psi. It's on 9psi now with the redline moved to 5850rpm.

LCE double valve springs and their standard valves sit in the polished head, along with sourcing a local cam company to regrind the cams as much as possible to take them to around Stage 1.5.

Hope that helps mate and if you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Cheers,
    Nathan:)

BassAckwards, Torspd and Steves104x4 like this.
  9. Jun 14, 2023 at 9:32 PM
    Nedkelly

Nedkelly OzLux

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Australia
    Vehicle:
    Hi Bass,

Yes stock bottom end currently with 225,000klms on it. If not mentioned it runs a heavy duty clutch kit and lightened flywheel also.

BassAckwards likes this.
  10. Jun 22, 2023 at 7:13 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []

Products Discussed in

To Top