1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

need advice on 1st tacoma purchase

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rorybbellows, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Sep 1, 2011 at 7:19 PM
    rorybbellows

rorybbellows [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks, god! I'll be honest, I hadn't even considered the AC option. Just thought it'd be too tight back there, but I'll be researching this new possibility for the rest of the night!

2. Sep 1, 2011 at 7:41 PM
    bikedude135

bikedude135 Member

Member:
    SF bay, ca
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v6
    hi, this is my first post here and i'd like to add some perspective. my v6 access cab is used for carrying motorcycles and will carry two sportbikes, tools, spare parts, and a passenger with EASE (~1400lbs). it even has passing power with that weight. the only weak area might be the brakes but they get the job done. empty, the v6 has plenty of passing power and with loads up to 500lbs you can't tell the difference. the power is nice.

that being said... a friend's 4cyl access cab carries his bike, wife, kid and gear (~1000lbs) with no problem as well. he sometimes tows a 1000lb trailer, which is also easy.

hopefully that helps.

as for the access cab, i highly recommend it over the dc unless carrying passengers is a high priority. the access will give you far more flexibility because like mentioned it WILL hold 4ppl. i've had 2 adults in the back for short trips and no complaining (they were even surprised that it has full size seatbelts). with the back seats folded (pre-08 makes a flat floor) it is far larger than the trunk of an average sedan.

3. Sep 1, 2011 at 8:06 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Dear god ,

it's " advice "

4. Sep 2, 2011 at 8:16 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Is that your advise ?

5. Sep 2, 2011 at 2:39 PM
    rorybbellows

rorybbellows [OP] Member

Member:
    Appreciate the perspective, bikedude! I don't really have much to tow in way of motorcycles, but it's very interesting to hear that your friend with the 4cyl can lug around everything with no problem. Thanks again!

6. Sep 10, 2011 at 9:22 AM
    MLJak

MLJak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anchroage
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 Access Cab Base
    I agree with guy with the deity name and the bikedude. 3 weeks ago I got the 4x4 V6 AC and now wish I had the 4cyl. A bit of buyers remorse.

Drive both on good test drives, up hill if you can. Then make the decision the next day.

My mistake was doing really good test drives, falling in love with the V6 power, then making an emotional decision on the same day. The 4 cyl made it ok, I think I could have lived with it.

Like you, I may have kids in the next couple years, and the less money spent, the better. You can put a child seat in the access cab.

Financially speaking - my base V6 was the same price (a few hundred give or take) as an SR5 4cyl.

For the bigger engine, I gave up all the nice features for more power. The SR5 package is very nice. The back-up camera is fantastic!!

It's your call, just sharing my thoughts and experience. I'm a miser who doesn't like to spend money. Was driving a 97 Explorer for the last 10 years, rode it to death. Seriously, it was done :)

Good luck on the choice!!

7. Sep 10, 2011 at 9:32 AM
    mcdowell

mcdowell My name is Mudd

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    mobile al
    Vehicle:
    2011 prerunner SR5
    2in Toytec leveling kit TSB 4 leafpack 130w KC driving lights Wsetin 3 tab lightbar Black headlights Trex eyelids TRD sport wheels Firestone MT Hood protector Vent visors Tube stepbars Colormatch grille
    Really like the 4.0

Products Discussed in

To Top