1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need advice on cv boots

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by blkcoma32, May 24, 2010.

1. May 24, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    blkcoma32

blkcoma32 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    98' 4x4 on tirty trees
    3 inch coilover and add-a leaf lift
    Alright boys, i have been a little concerned about my cv boots since my lift, the grease has been spewing out of them from the ends where they are tied the the shaft, it just seemed to never stop getting all over the underneath of the truckand i could never really understand it. But the yesterday i heard some squeaking coming from the front so i looked and the boot is ripped all the way around right next to where it is bound to the shaft. So I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a brand of boots or if i should just pick some up from autozone and if anyone had an idea on why the grease was coming out? Thanks guys

2. May 24, 2010 at 6:51 PM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    what we do at the dealership depends on how much grease has come out? if alot has come out it can comprimise the integrity of the cv joint. i replaced mine because they had been ripped for a while when i bought it. if not alot of grease has come out dude, i say re boot it like u were saying, its messy but it saves money... i no my dealer ship carries toyota reboot kits and after market boot kits... then do a diff drop!

3. May 24, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    mwild

mwild I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vernon, NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 2500 Dodge Ram
    Cat-Back, weather techs, ipod and sisuis Old 04 Taco: 5100s At all 4 corners set at 2.5", Toyotec AAL, Gibson cat-back, Deck plate mod, 20% Tint on fronts, 10" Kicker Comp sub, Sirius radio, Bud Built Skid, Pro Comp 8069 Wheels
    I would put a diff drop on to take some of the angle out of the cv shafts. I think that all the boots are all the same.

4. May 24, 2010 at 6:57 PM
    blkcoma32

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    98' 4x4 on tirty trees
    oh yeah i forgot, i do have a diff drop, thats why i couldn't figure out why i was havin a problem, the boot hasn't been ripped for long cause i just looked at it a couple days ago. So i should just go with some factory ones ?

5. May 24, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    mwild

mwild I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vernon, NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 2500 Dodge Ram
    Cat-Back, weather techs, ipod and sisuis Old 04 Taco: 5100s At all 4 corners set at 2.5", Toyotec AAL, Gibson cat-back, Deck plate mod, 20% Tint on fronts, 10" Kicker Comp sub, Sirius radio, Bud Built Skid, Pro Comp 8069 Wheels
    Yea just change the boot unless the shaft is no good. If you can wiggle the shaft its probably no good.

6. May 24, 2010 at 7:03 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    How much do you have? I had the same problem. With grease coming out the ends. And my local shop just tightened it up, and now all is good. My boot fins are close, and a couple are almost touching. But its not too bad.

Maybe your angles are too high, too much lift?

7. May 24, 2010 at 7:04 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    here is what happens when it slings all the grease out...040_ed591908f54e3c979310bb3a54008d5df8295ac9.jpg

8. May 24, 2010 at 7:06 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    And I wouldnt attempt changing the boots. Ive heard from a couple shops that its easier and cheaper to just get new CV's, bc of the labor involved... I have a pair of boots from Downey offroad, that I never used. Bc I thaught I needed them....:)

9. May 24, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    i got my brand new cv axles from o'rileys auto parts for $60 a piece. it alot better in my opinion to go ahead and spend the extra cash for new ones since you will have the front end torn apart anyways

10. May 24, 2010 at 7:14 PM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    true that^^^^^

11. May 24, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    blkcoma32

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    98' 4x4 on tirty trees
    $120 for new cv axles! I thought they were expensive? I put new ones in an old car i used to have and i swear they about gave me a heart attack cause they were so pricey, maybe i'm imagining things, course i guess i think i was like 17 work 10 hours a week so it probly was alot back then! Evertaco, I have 3" of lift via SAW c/o's and the wheeler's off road diff drop. And what did you want for those boots if i go that route?

12. May 24, 2010 at 8:11 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    Most of the autoparts chains offer a cv shaft with a lifetime warranty. I know autozone and advanced auto both do. That way in the future if another boot tears, you just go back and get a free replacement cv shaft.

13. May 24, 2010 at 10:06 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    When I put my SAWs on they gave 3" easily. But the inner cv boots touched ever so slightly. I ended up turning the COs back down to approximately +2.5 and added a 1" diff drop. Inner boots no longer touch. :)

From past experience I know they can't be touching at all when the truck is sitting level in the driveway. Even as they are set now I suspect they touch a little when the wheel is at either end if its up/down travel. Not sure what else I can do about that except be aware of it.

You are likely to tear new boots if you keep your settings the same. :(

14. May 25, 2010 at 7:32 AM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    I really wouldnt get new boots man. Bc like said above. You will just tear them if you dont fix your angle's. It would be way easier to just get new axle's with a lifetime warrenty. and maybe crank your coilovers down a little.

But if you really want to do new boots I would give them up for 25-30 bucks.

15. May 25, 2010 at 6:11 PM
    blkcoma32

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    98' 4x4 on tirty trees
    I have them set at 2.75" and the inner boots don't touch and those are the ones that are torn. the outer one touch on just about all of them and they look fine. I have to have the c/o set at least at 2.75" to clear my 33s. Thanks guys, i think i'll just get new shafts and take em back when they tear again!

16. May 25, 2010 at 6:44 PM
    toycar18

toycar18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 Reg Cab 2.7L
    OME Suspension, BFG 33x10.50 AT, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, Rear ARB Air Locker, LCE Header, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, K&N Intake
    ALL PRO OFFROAD has Long Travel Outer CV Boots for 1st Gen Tacomas.

This should help with vehicles that are lifted...

17. May 25, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    How many miles are on your cv boots? They do wear out. The fact that you are lifted may only be coincidental.

18. May 25, 2010 at 8:40 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    good choice!

19. May 1, 2011 at 2:24 AM
    SkyHighTacoma

SkyHighTacoma Josh

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Brazoria County Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB SR5 MGM
    Are these made for the inner side (closes to the diff) or the outer side (closes to the hub) ?

20. May 1, 2011 at 3:57 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

I had a Tundra with the same problem as yours with the stock cv axles. I had put a lift on it and had a diff drop as well. The greases was coming out the boots until I put hose clamps on the larger ends of each boot. Eventually the boots tore and I was just going to replace the boots. I spoke to a guy at an aamco and he told me just to replace the whole axle. Good thing I did cuz the difference between the new axle and the old one was night and day. The old ones were very binding, and the new ones were a lil different in there design as well. The axle housing closest to the diff was larger than the stock. So I didn't need the hose clamps on the boots to keep them from spewing. I would suggest to you to invest in new, not remanufactured, axles for your truck. There is alot of great after market brands out there, but I think autozone has the best price. Don't buy axles from pep boys, theirs suck. Good luck, and PM me if you need any help with dis assembly and re assembly.

Products Discussed in

To Top