1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need advice on possible job please

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by redrazr, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Oct 18, 2010 at 3:05 PM
    redrazr

redrazr [OP] Psalm 118:5-6

Member:
    Baker, FL
    Vehicle:
    2001 Xtracab TRD PreRunner
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear, Method NV Diamond wheels, Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 265/75-16's
    Hey guys, I'm in the process of finding a job and I would really like to get some advice from you all.

I was in at Sunglass Hut the other day with my Mom looking around and my Mom asked the manager if she knew of anyone hiring in the same shopping centre. She said she didn't really know of anyone, but she was actually looking for a part timer. So she gave me an application, I shook her hand and introduced myself and then we left. I turned it back in the next afternoon and went home to take an online personality test for the job. I completed that the same day and called her to let her know I was done.

I had an interview there two days ago and it went pretty well. We did the standard previous experience questions first, then she went on to tell me what my responsibilities will be as an associate, why she wants me to work there and then told me what I get as an associate like employee discounts and stuff. And to let her know far enough in advance when I want specific days off.

So is her telling me all that a good sign? I mean does it sounds like there's a good possibility I could be working there soon?

She's setting up a phone interview for the regional manager to talk to me, hopefully this week. Basically just to make sure I won't need to be micro managed. I'm really hoping this works out because everything she told me about the job sounds awesome!

Thanks for any advice guys. I really appreciate it!

2. Oct 18, 2010 at 3:25 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Obviously I can't say for sure but based on what you've told us you've got a very good shot! She could be just BSing you but I see nothing gained for her in doing that so hopefully you're on your way to a job!

3. Oct 18, 2010 at 3:40 PM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    expect the worst, hope for the best!!

4. Oct 19, 2010 at 9:57 PM
    redrazr

Member:
    Baker, FL
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear, Method NV Diamond wheels, Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 265/75-16's
    Sorry for the late response :eek:

Thanks guys. I found out today the phone interview with the regional manager will be on Friday at 5:00 pm. The store manager said she would call me before that and go over some questions with me that the other manager might have. Thankful for that!

Also, I've got an interview at Saks Fifth Avenue OFF 5TH tomorrow. I'm super nervous about it for some reason. This is only my third interview ever so I guess that's why. Hope it goes well!

5. Oct 19, 2010 at 11:06 PM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Sounds like you have it in the bag homeslice, since she's already acting like you got the job. Good work!

6. Oct 19, 2010 at 11:07 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    If the employer is selling you on the job, always a great sign

7. Oct 21, 2010 at 8:28 PM
    redrazr

Member:
    Baker, FL
    Vehicle:
    Thank you so much man. This is awesome advice! I read this a couple of times before the Saks interview yesterday. And, I used it at the interview too! :D She asked me a question and I totally drew a blank. The questions was could I name five brands they carry. I can't believe I didn't have an answer, but after that she told me about their products and and I told her I would research them. Thanks again man! This was super helpful.

The interview itself was only about five minutes or so. She said they do them quick and painless. I walked in at 3:00, waited a little bit for them to get everything figured out and get to the break room, and I was walking out at 3:11 :eek: Definitely not what I was expecting. I found out it's only a seasonal job, but if they feel I did well enough during my time working there they may keep me on. Now I guess I have to wait on a call for either an interview with another manager or for them to say "no thanks."

For my attire, I wore a blue dress shirt with vertical white/green stripes, a narrow tie that had the same colors, but somewhat inverted and different shades of green/blue (it actually looked great together :D), khakis that weren't too khaki, all from J.Crew. And some casual Sperry deck shoes. Kind of "not so traditional," but still professional. You're right man, I felt totally confident going in dressed like that!

8. Oct 21, 2010 at 8:35 PM
    redrazr

Member:
    Baker, FL
    Vehicle:
    Thanks man! I REALLY hope so!! I've got the phone interview tomorrow for Sunglass Hut. Not too nervous......yet lol. Can't wait to get "prepped" for it by the store manager. That will help me big time!

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I'll update how it goes tomorrow!

9. Oct 22, 2010 at 10:32 AM
    redrazr

Member:
    Baker, FL
    Vehicle:
    Thank YOU! Your advice really is very helpful! Up until now, I've never really been worried about the future, but it kind of hit me like a brick a while back and I want to get started ASAP. I'm really looking for a company to grow with.

I just got off the phone with the store manager. Apparently I didn't pass the online personality test so the job is a no go. It's kind of frustrating because how can you tell someones true personality with true and false questions on the internet? I'll be honest, I know some of my answers were conflicting and I personally think that why I didn't pass, but if I could have gone into more detail on them they could have understood more. Not saying that would have helped me get the job, but it just seems more logical to me that something like that be done in person. Oh well. I'm pulling for Saks now :D

10. Oct 22, 2010 at 6:05 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Agree 100%, the process of interviewing makes you a better interviewee. Also take the opportunity to ask for advice on interviewing and your resume. They've seen tons of people and have some of the best advice.

11. Oct 28, 2010 at 11:20 PM
    redrazr

Member:
    Baker, FL
    Vehicle:
    OMG. So sorry it's taken me this long to respond :eek:

10851 and jspadaro,
    Thank you for the support. I was pretty bummed for a few minutes after hearing I didn't get the job. I'm cool with it now though and I'm still looking for a job. Haven't heard a yes or no from Saks yet I don't think. I got an email from one of their managers thanking me for my interest in their company and saying to check out their site again for all open positions. Does that mean I didn't get it? Just in a nice way?

The interview have definitely helped me and I'm learning a lot from them. I will definitely have to ask for advice from the manager interviewing me next time if thing don't go well.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

12. Oct 28, 2010 at 11:25 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    It does sound like a nice "no" to me, unfortunately. But hey, good for you man, keep your head up. As you said, this is great practice. The right job will come along. If you're focused enough to try to learn how to succeed in the first place, you're already miiles ahead of many interviewees at my workplace!

13. Oct 28, 2010 at 11:27 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    And right, exactly, I did mean ask of what they think of your interviewing after you don't get the job, I didn't say that. Hah, good thing you got what I meant anyway.

14. Oct 31, 2010 at 11:37 AM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

THROUGHITALLDUDE Someone didnt put the tailgate down!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    285-75-17 Definity ATs - 16'' Chrome Moto Metal 951s - 4'' Maxtrac spindles - Rear Icon Progressive Leaf Pack - Magnaflow exhaust - Aftermarket LED Taillights - BHLM - Custom Wet Okle Seat Covers - Moog Tire Rods - US Spec Ipod - K&N High Flow Filter - Daytime Running Lights - TRD Skid Plate - Grillcraft - Hellas Mounted behind the grill
    I think you got a really good chance good luck =)

My last job I had 9 interviews before getting the job 3 of them I met the CEO CFO and the President of the company

My current job When I showed up for the interview my boss had the paper work ready for me to fill out and start working lol

BUT they would not waste their time and have you interview with a regional if you werent worth it

15. Oct 31, 2010 at 11:48 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    You can't base how the interview went as to if you're getting the job or not. I've interviewed for many jobs. Good interviews didn't mean I got the job. Heck, my last interview for my current job felt like a trainwreck. It was an unscheduled phone interview. I thought I botched it, but two weeks later I had the job.
    Lots of other folks gave good advice here. Keep plugging away at it. Determination counts as much as experience.

16. Nov 1, 2010 at 10:21 PM
    redrazr

Member:
    Baker, FL
    Vehicle:
    Thanks man. I think it did turn out to be a nice no because I haven't heard anything from them since. Oh well, another interview to add to the experience!
    Wow man. Glad you got the job you wanted! That's a great story! Thank you for your help and support :)
    Whew. Having to meet the CEO, CFO and President would be some serious stress for me! Glad the interview for your current job went so easily! Thanks for your help :)
    Thanks man. I'm glad you got the job. I feel like I've done terrible on every one of them so far lol. Glad all this is interviewing is working in my advantage!

I've got an interview with Banana Republic tomorrow. That's the job I originally wanted. Man I hope I don't blow this one! This is exactly the kind of place I've been wanting to work and I hope I can get over the pre-interview stress and do a good job!

17. Nov 3, 2010 at 3:46 PM
    redrazr

Member:
    Baker, FL
    Vehicle:
    I went to the Banana interview today. Talked to two different managers. I feel this one went the best so far. The first manager was the guy I was hoping for because when I talked to him on the phone he sounded very cool. We talked for a while, very laid back and still professional. After that I talked to the manager above him. She was very nice as well, but we only spent a few minutes talking.

The only thing I thought could've sounded better was one of the questions she asked me. She asked me basically, what is the most important thing in this business. I said customer service, but she said making sure the customer is happy. I thought that was the same thing? Should I have worded it better? Or am I being too critical of myself?

Thanks to everyone for all of your help through this! :)

18. Nov 3, 2010 at 3:48 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    In my mind, they are the same thing, and I definitely wouldn't lose sleep over it.

19. Nov 3, 2010 at 3:58 PM
    redrazr

Member:
    Baker, FL
    Vehicle:
    Thx man. That what I was thinking too. I feel better now :D

20. Nov 3, 2010 at 4:00 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    I mean really if that's a reason to not hire you you don't want to work there anyway

To Top